soldering banana plugs

Here's an area where you can ask any kind of question about RC models and find a whole lot of useful information to help you get started.

soldering banana plugs

Postby bradcox100 » Sun May 20, 2012 12:36 pm

Hi,
I am just getting in the RC electric flight as of this year. I want to start off with saying, I am hooked.

Yesterday I solder some banana plugs for an adapter for my 10 amp power supply to be used for my new balance charger. While I made the solder joints work, it wasn't very pretty. I am looking for some guidance on doing a better job. It seemed that I couldn't get the banana plug hot enough for the solder to adhere to it. I am using a 40 watt soldering iron.

Does anybody have any suggestions for doing a better job.

Thanks,
Brad
bradcox100

Re: soldering banana plugs

Postby pldb64 » Mon May 21, 2012 1:00 am

There are some good soldering videos done by Lucien Miller here:

http://www.innov8tivedesigns.com/

Look towards the bottom of the home page.

He's using bullet connectors rather than bananna plugs, but the ideas are still appropriate/useful.
Turnigy 9x, FrSky 2-Way/Telemetry DHT DIY, Smartieparts BRD, ER9x FW
AXN-Floater (stock esc, motor & prop, HK orange 9g servos)
pldb64

Postby quarry44 » Mon May 21, 2012 5:59 am

I've just soldered some banana plugs,and it took much more time than I thought it should.I also started with a 40w iron,but it took so long to heat the plug,I broke out the 100w job.This made short work of it.
Btw.,if the plugs are the HK type with setscrews in the side,you have to be careful not to get solder in the threads.
I wasn't,and hence had to resort to a dab of hot glue down the hole.Works just as well though.
Another btw,don't use lead free solder,it makes the job so much more difficult.
quarry44

Postby Hallmark » Thu May 24, 2012 11:51 am

bradcox100 wrote:Does anybody have any suggestions for doing a better job.

Thanks,
Brad

Hello Brad,

I too only recently got into electric flight and RC as a whole so I have learned a few hard lessons in many areas.

strongly suggest getting an adjustable temprature soldering iron. I paid $30 and got a Duratech one with a dial on the handle. It is great and my work went from resembling a ball of solder with electrical components in 'there' somewhere, to some very nice, clean and impressive (if I may say so) finished products.

Confidence is a big issue so when you find the right temprature to work at, you will improve quite quickly from seeing the difference it makes and you will want to solder rather than being worried about the end result. Also use 60/40 lead/flux solder...

Good luck and please keep posting here we love to hear about learning in all forms.

Hallmark :)
"I am prepared to meet my Maker. Whether my Maker is prepared for the great ordeal of meeting me is another matter." Winston Churchill
Hallmark

Postby quarry44 » Thu May 24, 2012 9:36 pm

On re-reading my post,I think I made it look like I used hot glue instead of solder!That's definitely not the case.The hot glue was used merely to fill the hole after soldering,to keep dirt out.
quarry44

Postby kaptain_zero » Fri May 25, 2012 12:39 am

Here's a link to the "correct" way of soldering cup joints, such as bullet connectors and banana plugs. It's a video done by PACE and there are more videos on YouTube from them. This particular one describes how to go about soldering a wire into a cup socket.

http://tli.tl/e8Jl0R

Regards

Christian
"I'd like to live as a poor man with lots of money."
-- Pablo Picasso
kaptain_zero

Postby GRM » Fri May 25, 2012 3:08 am

Hi,

This type of banana plug is easy to solder and has the bonus of being able to parallel charge.

http://search.jaycar.com.au/search?w=Red+QUALITY+BANANA+Plug+-+Piggy+Back&view=list&SUBMIT.x=0&SUBMIT.y=0

Geoff
GRM

Postby ergocentric » Fri May 25, 2012 4:44 am

Hallmark wrote: Also use 60/40 lead/flux solder...

63:37 lead:tin (aka eutectic)
flux core

if you are serious about staying with electrics, now is the time to invest in a temperature controller soldering station
it will save you loads of frustration and a few crashed (and burned) planes

huh cheap at $26
http://www.bgmicro.com/solderandsoldertools.aspx
unconcerned but not indifferent - MAN RAY
ergocentric

Postby bradcox100 » Wed Jun 06, 2012 8:47 pm

I appreciate everyone's reply. I wound up buying a Weller 140/100 watt soldering gun. My 40 watt soldering iron just wasn't hot enough to do the trick.

Brad
bradcox100

Postby bradcox100 » Wed Jun 06, 2012 8:59 pm

kaptain_zero,
I meant to tell you that I liked the video on cup soldering. Visual demonstrations always works good for me. Definitely learned something from this video. Sorry for the long delay responding back.

Brad
bradcox100

Return to For Beginners (if you're just getting started in RC)