Almost had a Mid air today

Here's an area where you can ask any kind of question about RC models and find a whole lot of useful information to help you get started.

Almost had a Mid air today

Postby Malcurin » Mon Jun 04, 2012 7:49 am

I went to the local club today to continue my awesome journey into flying, My AXN arrived a few days ago and I have just completed it and had the person who was teaching me to fly maiden it today it went well though a bit under powered, I accidently ordered 2 cell 2200's instead of 3 cell. it went OK though just a little slow could still climb, so i guess not too bad for a beginner after that he asked if i wanted to have a go on the foam 800mm Corsair again, buddyboxing it was up for maybe 5 mins and another club member went and took up his 2.5 meter gas plane and all was OK till he brought his plane over to where I was flying mine, and they must have been within a meter of each other all i could think was get it out of there so I tossed some down elevator and got it below as fast as i could then levelled it out about 10 meters below, Man my nerves were racing, flew for a few mins more then gave it over to my instructor to take over to land it, i was also wondering if there was any rules about this when someone is being taught ( this is my 3rd instruction into flying today, yes it had to happen sometime but i was hoping for a bit later) well off to the Private airfield again tomorrow where i have the sky to myself and can fly where and how i want too, Might even take up my under powered AXN on a watt meter it is pulling 7 amps and 54 watts lmao .......... but at least i know it is flying well

thanks
Mike
Turnigy 9x with ER9X and back light FrSky DHT 8ch DIY, FLD-02 Telemetry Display Screen
AXN with 6x4 prop .... AWESOME!!!!!!!
Canterbury Sailplanes Jazz 60 and Eraser 60
Dyna-flight Butterfly ( under construction )
Malcurin

Re: Almost had a Mid air today

Postby RCModelReviews » Mon Jun 04, 2012 9:25 am

I *did* have a mid-air today -- tore the wing right off my AXN at about 200' and it spiraled into the ground.

Unfortunately, I had the new Foxtech HoryzonHD camera onboard at the time.

Fortunately -- it was going and didn't get damaged -- so I've got onboard footage!

Watch out for that -- it's pretty cool!
RCModelReviews.com, just the facts.
RCModelReviews

Postby BillGriffiths100 » Mon Jun 04, 2012 9:37 am

Normally when someone is being taught others need to be informed to keep out of the way, and comply with good grace. Communication is important.
Initially it is very distracting for learners to have other planes especially noisy IC ones flying between them and their own Aircraft. If asked most flyers will desist for a moment or two.
Another good thing to do while learners are involved is to fly fixed direction circuits over the strip, this lessens the closing speed of any impending collision allowing more time to take avoiding action.
Compromising with out of control government is like living with a lion, sooner or later the bloody thing will eat you .

You accept the tyranny of the state when it's not being applied to you, when it is: it's too late.
BillGriffiths100

Postby RCModelReviews » Mon Jun 04, 2012 10:12 am

Yep, we have an unwritten policy that when newbies are flying, we let them have the air to themselves.

Eventually they get comfortable with others flying but it's very distracting for those who have just gone solo to have other models flying around them.
RCModelReviews

Postby Malcurin » Mon Jun 04, 2012 11:46 am

Wow cant wait for that footage, I informed a few people but not all about me having my training will remember next time to tell them all, But I'm looking at it as a learning experience.

I may be visiting SWMAC soon I am also learning on a private airfield here during the week in Matamata who Is a member there and he invited me down next time he goes ( bad with names cant remember it) , will see him this week while I train on it, Might see you there.

thanks
Mike
Turnigy 9x with ER9X and back light FrSky DHT 8ch DIY, FLD-02 Telemetry Display Screen
Malcurin

Postby RCModelReviews » Mon Jun 04, 2012 10:48 pm

Hopefully the SWMAC will still be flying when you come. MFNZ are working hard to shut us down because "we place too much emphasis on having fun".
RCModelReviews

Postby Malcurin » Mon Jun 04, 2012 10:58 pm

if you cant have fun when you fly , then why do people make this there hobby?
Malcurin

Postby Andre » Tue Jun 05, 2012 9:21 am

Just went to SWMC website for the first time.
I see the rules are:
1) Don't be an idiot
2) Have fun

Sounds perfect to me. Why complicate matters?

Being a newbie, I have no idea what MFNZ is on about - I am not a member. I guess some committee wants a detailed constitution that they can pore over and argue about. I'm self-teaching myself. My rules are the same as above. So I stay away from the public, and have fun.

Cheers,
Andre
Andre

Postby Hallmark » Fri Jun 08, 2012 4:18 pm

RCModelReviews wrote:I *did* have a mid-air today -- tore the wing right off my AXN at about 200' and it spiraled into the ground.

Unfortunately, I had the new Foxtech HoryzonHD camera onboard at the time.

Fortunately -- it was going and didn't get damaged -- so I've got onboard footage!

Watch out for that -- it's pretty cool!

Did someone say the 'F' word again? Listen Bruce, stop having fun lest the grumpy old men see it and smack your botty! :shock:

Now people please resume stoical staring at the wall and ignore the so-called idea of 'fun'!

:|
"I am prepared to meet my Maker. Whether my Maker is prepared for the great ordeal of meeting me is another matter." Winston Churchill
Hallmark

Return to For Beginners (if you're just getting started in RC)