AXN - Tape for wing

Here's an area where you can ask any kind of question about RC models and find a whole lot of useful information to help you get started.

AXN - Tape for wing

Postby Dunk486 » Mon Jun 11, 2012 1:34 pm

What’s the wide tape that Bruce uses for the underside of the wing to cover the wing struts ? does it have to be anything special ?
Dunk486

Re: AXN - Tape for wing

Postby BillGriffiths100 » Mon Jun 11, 2012 3:28 pm

Clear parcel tape
Compromising with out of control government is like living with a lion, sooner or later the bloody thing will eat you .

You accept the tyranny of the state when it's not being applied to you, when it is: it's too late.
BillGriffiths100

Postby Dunk486 » Mon Jun 11, 2012 10:25 pm

Thanks Bill

I am a complete beginner and have been inspired by Bruce to have a go, there are a few things I am unsure about, how do you setup your Radio gear (I have a Turnigy 9x V2) and servos ?
Are there any particular channels on the receiver that must be used for parts of the air frame ? and how is the throttle controlled ?

Dunk
Dunk486

Postby pldb64 » Tue Jun 12, 2012 12:53 am

Dunk,

I'd suggest you look up Bruce's video's about building the AXN on Youtube. they'll go a very long way towards explaining everything you need to know to get you in the air. If you've not flown before, then my biggest piece of advice would be to get yourself a decent flight simulator (Phoneix, Real Flight, Clearview or similar) and get used to the controls and how the model will respond. Also, find out if you have a club near you that you can go along and have someone give you some 1 on 1 instruction.

I'm still a newbie myself - only started back in Feb but now have 50+ successful flights on my AXN under my belt and its still in mint condition (i've just tempted fate haven't i!!!!). I think the two biggest factors to my "success" have been the two factors i've listed above (simulator and instruction).

Have fun! ... Thats what its all about!
Turnigy 9x, FrSky 2-Way/Telemetry DHT DIY, Smartieparts BRD, ER9x FW
AXN-Floater (stock esc, motor & prop, HK orange 9g servos)
pldb64

Postby Hallmark » Tue Jun 12, 2012 1:59 am

I agree with pldb64 about watching the AXN build videos and obtaining a flight simulator package (with radio) so you can get used to the orientation and flight controls.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pU_IEdTDOq0

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UL_0mQIWPyY

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FmOIeEdycs4

The tape Bruce uses is fibre tape available from Hobbyking, you can buy it elsewhere but not this cheap!

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/stor ... 50mtr.html

I hope all this helps.

Hallmark
"I am prepared to meet my Maker. Whether my Maker is prepared for the great ordeal of meeting me is another matter." Winston Churchill
Hallmark

Postby Hallmark » Tue Jun 12, 2012 6:58 am

BillGriffiths100 wrote:Clear parcel tape

Bill is quite correct, I misread your post and was thinking for the fuselage. But I also used the fibre tape for this purpose because I had it handy. Sorry if I caused any confusion... :oops:
"I am prepared to meet my Maker. Whether my Maker is prepared for the great ordeal of meeting me is another matter." Winston Churchill
Hallmark

Postby cynr100 » Tue Jun 12, 2012 7:07 am

Dunk486 wrote:Thanks Bill

Are there any particular channels on the receiver that must be used for parts of the air frame ? and how is the throttle controlled ?

Dunk

Hi Dunk,
Do you have a transmitter (Tx) with Mode 1 (throttle on right) or Mode 2 (Throttle on left), throttle is the gimbal that does not self centre when released (sorry if that appears as a dumbdown but you did say "complete novice" :) )
If Mode 1 then remember RETA as channels 1,2,3,4 (expanded Rudder Ch1 - left gimbal horizontal, Elevator Ch2 -left gimbal vertical, Throttle Ch3 - right gimbal vertical, Airleron Ch4 - right gimbal horizontal). Install the corresponding servos by action to the channel number on the receiver (Rx), ESC will be installed to Ch3 on the Rx.
If mode 2 (I very well could be wrong here :) ) remember RTEA as channels 1,2,3,4.
Someone PLEASE correct if I am wrong fro Mode2 :?
That's a start, but as Peter says, grab yourself a flight sim, preferably something that works on your Turnigy and scower through this forum, Bruces vids and flog YouTube. The info is out there and you will have fun looking.
Cheers Dennis
Not enough time in the day for all my crazy ideas, I'm not slow, I'm just pacing myself
cynr100

Postby BillGriffiths100 » Tue Jun 12, 2012 7:52 am

scower

?
scour :- to search thoroughly for a spell checker in this case Dennis!

Dunk,
There is a manual for the Eurgle which is the same thing as the turnigy flysky etc. at:
http://www.r2hobbies.com/manuals/rcps61207.pdf and
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/stor ... 1510x2.pdf
which will tell you about the functions of the basic un-updated software version of the transmitter ignore the fact that it is a 75 or 35 Meg set illustrated.
There are a few more scattered around search with Google for Eurgle, Turnigy or flysky transmitter manual.
Bill
Last edited by BillGriffiths100 on Tue Jun 12, 2012 2:37 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Compromising with out of control government is like living with a lion, sooner or later the bloody thing will eat you .

You accept the tyranny of the state when it's not being applied to you, when it is: it's too late.
BillGriffiths100

Postby cynr100 » Tue Jun 12, 2012 7:56 am

Thanks Bill......... :oops: ...............less than an hour :lol: :lol: :D
Not enough time in the day for all my crazy ideas, I'm not slow, I'm just pacing myself
cynr100

Return to For Beginners (if you're just getting started in RC)