Some AXN questions

Here's an area where you can ask any kind of question about RC models and find a whole lot of useful information to help you get started.

Re: Some AXN questions

Postby pldb64 » Tue Jul 03, 2012 1:34 am

Bill (or any others with similarly correct information),

Would you be able to post a link to the correct collet adapter from HK (or elsewhere)?

I've bought two different types of collet adapters from HK now and in both cases the width of the adapter has been too wide to fit either the stock 5x5 or a 6x4 prop on it.

I can't find anything that looks like that blue one you've got the photo of in your recent post.

If i'm making some horribly simple error - please feel free to point it out to me! :-)

Peter
Turnigy 9x, FrSky 2-Way/Telemetry DHT DIY, Smartieparts BRD, ER9x FW
AXN-Floater (stock esc, motor & prop, HK orange 9g servos)
pldb64

Postby Malcurin » Tue Jul 03, 2012 1:45 am

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/uh_viewitem.asp?idproduct=5122&aff=728586
this is the one im using on mine its great and gold , gold is the new black for an AXN :P
Turnigy 9x with ER9X and back light FrSky DHT 8ch DIY, FLD-02 Telemetry Display Screen
AXN with 6x4 prop .... AWESOME!!!!!!!
Canterbury Sailplanes Jazz 60 and Eraser 60
Dyna-flight Butterfly ( under construction )
Malcurin

Postby quarry44 » Tue Jul 03, 2012 6:01 am

This is the adapter I used:
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/stor ... duct=16579
But now that I think about it,I had to put a small radius on the "backplate" to clear the propeller blades.You could just trim the blades near the propeller's center instead.
quarry44

Postby pldb64 » Tue Jul 03, 2012 6:11 am

Quarry,

Interesting! ... That's one of the adapter's that i've bought already and it seemed to me that the width of the adapter was too broad to fit the stock propeller. I'll have to go home and take another look! ... Will post photos if i'm still stuck.
pldb64

Postby BillGriffiths100 » Tue Jul 03, 2012 7:58 am

Hi Peter,
The one Malcurins got looks as though its closest to the blue one I have, except for the colour, I should order one of those unless you hate the colour........
Compromising with out of control government is like living with a lion, sooner or later the bloody thing will eat you .

You accept the tyranny of the state when it's not being applied to you, when it is: it's too late.
BillGriffiths100

Postby Malcurin » Tue Jul 03, 2012 8:49 am

My one the prop fits on nicely with the largest or second largest adapter ring that comes with the prop, nice and snug too :) yeah it is gold but it does look good with a black prop and you wont get your AXN mixed up with anyone else at the flying field who happen to also have an AXN :)
Turnigy 9x with ER9X and back light FrSky DHT 8ch DIY, FLD-02 Telemetry Display Screen
AXN with 6x4 prop .... AWESOME!!!!!!!
Canterbury Sailplanes Jazz 60 and Eraser 60
Dyna-flight Butterfly ( under construction )
Malcurin

Postby wesselspeed » Tue Jul 10, 2012 11:41 am

Ok, my plane is going to arrive today or tomorrow (Yeah).
Would it be a good idea to solder 4mm bullet connectors between the motor and esc or would they be too heavy?

I would like to have my wings detachable so i was thinking of putting a piece of velcro where the wings touch eachother and just put packing to over the inserts on the wings but is that strong enough? or do you have other ideas please leave them, thanks.

Cheers,

Wessel
Robotronic Stinger est. BL + 3, 3000 MaH lipo's + Team Orion Advantage Lipo Edition :)
AXN ARF, Orange servo's, 30A blue ESC, 2200 mAh 20c zippy, Turnigy 9x, HK 6ch reciever
WL TOYS V911
808 #3 camera
wesselspeed

Postby cynr100 » Tue Jul 10, 2012 12:54 pm

wesselspeed wrote:Ok, my plane is going to arrive today or tomorrow (Yeah).
Would it be a good idea to solder 4mm bullet connectors between the motor and esc or would they be too heavy?

Cheers,

Wessel

The "extra" weight between 3mm and 4mm won't be an issue, just make sure you have the connectors fully covered in heat shrink. They are going to be tucked into the fuselage and you don't want a short occuring causing magic smoke and fire. I believe Bruce solders his ESC direct to the motors' wires, an easier solution but make sure you have the wiring correct before soldering and again proper application of heat shrink for insulation.
My AXN would never have survived its' first crash if the wings were detachable, I am not a good pilot I manage a crash on every launch :lol: . The nose is nearly spent however the wing/fuselage is as strong as the day I glued them together. Unless you have a very real reason to do so I would not recommend making the wing detachable,IMHO.
Cheers
Dennis
Not enough time in the day for all my crazy ideas, I'm not slow, I'm just pacing myself
cynr100

Postby pldb64 » Wed Jul 11, 2012 12:24 am

Wessel,

If you need detachable wings, i'd recommend using magnets where the wings touch together - embedded into the wings and held in place with a little of Bruce's magic hot glue with fibre glassed tape over the top. Gives enough grip to ensure the wings stay where you want them to be but allows them to be pulled apart as/when required. The ones i got from HK were damn strong!

Peter
pldb64

Postby wesselspeed » Wed Jul 11, 2012 9:46 am

ok but i will use velcro instead of magnets, but how about the wing spar how is that held in place in your plane, Peter?
Robotronic Stinger est. BL + 3, 3000 MaH lipo's + Team Orion Advantage Lipo Edition :)
AXN ARF, Orange servo's, 30A blue ESC, 2200 mAh 20c zippy, Turnigy 9x, HK 6ch reciever
WL TOYS V911
808 #3 camera
wesselspeed

PreviousNext

Return to For Beginners (if you're just getting started in RC)