Newbie Warning: Ordering from Hobby King

Here's an area where you can ask any kind of question about RC models and find a whole lot of useful information to help you get started.

Newbie Warning: Ordering from Hobby King

Postby Hal9000 » Wed Jul 11, 2012 11:47 am

Having followed Bruce's most excellent Bill of Materials here when ordering all the items listed from Hobby King, I failed to realise the significance and implications of the "BK" flag on the batteries.

I had cause to contact tech support this evening on accessing the HK forums, and the support person noted that I had two orders that should have allowed me to access the forums.
They offered to check the orders and give a better indication on ETAs on my back ordered items. They came back with "up to 60 days" on them.

So my warning to newbies is this: For any item denoted with BK, think carefully as to how urgently you want your order. Enquire with the support team as to ETA for the item, and maybe select an "in stock" alternative if you are not prepared to wait for the item.

In my case it is the recommended battery that Bruce suggests. At $9 there are not many alternatives that have the same power at that price. So wait I will.

Any way that will give the cold, wet and windy winter weather time to go away.
Hal9000

Re: Newbie Warning: Ordering from Hobby King

Postby rogueqd » Wed Jul 11, 2012 11:32 pm

I never order anything that's on back order (BK). Which batteries are they? Are you sure there's no alternatives?
rogueqd

Postby pldb64 » Thu Jul 12, 2012 12:46 am

Here is what i fly in my AXN:

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/stor ... se%5F.html

Available in AUS warehouse for $10.87

I think the conventional wisdom that i've picked up from others re HK is to separate orders for "in stock" versus "back order" items. At least that way you're primary order isn't going to be held up waiting for indeterminant periods of time.

If in doubt - ask on here - we're full of conflicting advice :-) (but all well intentioned)
Turnigy 9x, FrSky 2-Way/Telemetry DHT DIY, Smartieparts BRD, ER9x FW
AXN-Floater (stock esc, motor & prop, HK orange 9g servos)
pldb64

Postby Keith » Thu Jul 12, 2012 2:16 am

pldb64 wrote:Here is what i fly in my AXN:

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/stor ... se%5F.html

Available in AUS warehouse for $10.87

I think the conventional wisdom that i've picked up from others re HK is to separate orders for "in stock" versus "back order" items. At least that way you're primary order isn't going to be held up waiting for indeterminant periods of time.

If in doubt - ask on here - we're full of conflicting advice :-) (but all well intentioned)

I have a couple of these as well as the Turnigy ones... Anyone else find the XT60s on them are very tight.? They go together OK but pulling them apart is a real battle... I even resort to using a screw driver as a lever... I tried filing them but did not get anywhere... I may just have some from a dodgy batch...
If anyone is feeling a bit paranoid....BEHIND YOU....
Keith

Postby quarry44 » Thu Jul 12, 2012 2:22 am

Yes,Keith,they the xt60 plugs are tight.But not tight enough for my mate,he lost the a battery pack out of his AXN!
To add insult etc.,it was MY battery pack :cry:
I think you're probably better off with tight connections,a loose one could cause a crash,or worse still,a fire.
quarry44

Postby Hal9000 » Thu Jul 12, 2012 5:12 am

Thanks for your responses.

I certainly have learned my lesson and was wanting to share my experience.

All four batteries that Bruce recommends are on back order. The one available in the Australia warehouse is the one I have on back order! This is my first order ever so there is no point in getting the AXN sans batteries, so I am just going to have to be patient.

HK in their wisdom don't allow us kiwis to order from the Australian warehouse. That will be a suggestion for another day, unless I can get a job in the mines and have an Australian address for them to send stuff to. Anybody know anyone in the mines that could help me with this?
Hal9000

Postby Malcurin » Thu Jul 12, 2012 5:31 am

Nope i dont know anyone in the Mines, Did you try for the Nano-tech 3 cell 2200? its the one I'm using and is also a perfect fit Little more expensive about $10ish American with a buddy-codehttp://www.hobbyking.com/buddy.asp?code=4518B53A-D351-4D9F-B125-F927D4D1BD26 17th this month that code runs out

they are good batteries
Turnigy 9x with ER9X and back light FrSky DHT 8ch DIY, FLD-02 Telemetry Display Screen
AXN with 6x4 prop .... AWESOME!!!!!!!
Canterbury Sailplanes Jazz 60 and Eraser 60
Dyna-flight Butterfly ( under construction )
Malcurin

Postby pldb64 » Thu Jul 12, 2012 5:54 am

Hal,

I believe you can delete backorder items from your order! ... If you can find batteries that are in stock then try that path. I've not done that with HK, but i think they would be open to it - worth a skype call at least :-)

You will easily get by with an 1800 mah battery if that is all they have on offer. Anywhere 20C battery or above will work fine. 1800 or 2200.

With 2200's i can fly the AXN easily for 15 mins (not just cruising either). I've gone for up to 25 mins in cruise mode (judicious throttle usage, but still not all straight and level flying). So 1800's will give you more than adequate time in the air to begin with.

60 day wait - None of us are THAT patient :-)
Turnigy 9x, FrSky 2-Way/Telemetry DHT DIY, Smartieparts BRD, ER9x FW
AXN-Floater (stock esc, motor & prop, HK orange 9g servos)
pldb64

Postby Hal9000 » Thu Jul 12, 2012 10:19 am

Malcurin wrote:Nope i dont know anyone in the Mines, Did you try for the Nano-tech 3 cell 2200? its the one I'm using and is also a perfect fit Little more expensive about $10ish American with a buddy-codehttp://www.hobbyking.com/buddy.asp?code=4518B53A-D351-4D9F-B125-F927D4D1BD26 17th this month that code runs out

they are good batteries

Thanks for that. I cancelled the back ordered ones and ordered these along with Turnigy 9x and FrSky DIY Transmitter with Telemetry and matching Receiver. Your buddy code dropped the price by $7 each. Thanks again!
Hal9000

Postby Malcurin » Thu Jul 12, 2012 10:35 am

iv also got codes for the diy frsky stuff too and the FLD -02 lol
yeah Sucks though that i only get the credit on my account for the first time they are used lol
http://rcsearch.info/hobbyking/buddy/?u=Malcurin#catalog cheak them out here if you wanna use them also, plus this site is awesome for codes
Turnigy 9x with ER9X and back light FrSky DHT 8ch DIY, FLD-02 Telemetry Display Screen
AXN with 6x4 prop .... AWESOME!!!!!!!
Canterbury Sailplanes Jazz 60 and Eraser 60
Dyna-flight Butterfly ( under construction )
Malcurin

Next

Return to For Beginners (if you're just getting started in RC)