The little things add up.

Here's an area where you can ask any kind of question about RC models and find a whole lot of useful information to help you get started.

The little things add up.

Postby rogueqd » Sun Jul 22, 2012 7:50 am

I just noticed that my order history from Hobby King is now up to page 3. I thought I'd add that up.

45 orders starting from 29/03/2011. Grand total, $1459.26!! And that's just Hobby King, so it doesn't include my RTL system ($400), Fatshark goggles ($300) or soldering iron ($80). :/

The major items (orders over $50) are...
AXN Clouds Fly
Watt Meter + Rechargable AA's
Turnigy 9x
FrSky Standard DIY
FPV Tx Rx
Head Tracker
Bixler
FrSky Telemetry

On average I've spent $21.46 per week since I bought by first AXN, and again that's just at Hobby King. :shock:
rogueqd

Re: The little things add up.

Postby Hal9000 » Sun Jul 22, 2012 8:42 am

I'd say!

First order turned into a subsequent 4 orders for bits and pieces I omitted to originally order, and when my Spectrum DX6i went in for warranty check I decided to get 9x and Frsky telemetry ready radio gear as well. Total spent to date USD$395 with Hobby King alone.

1st order of AXN, servos, and bits Bruce suggested just left yesterday with orders 2 and 4 being delivered yesterday. See other post regarding HobbyKing, backorders and learned lessons!

Orders 3 and 5 left Hong Kong on Friday so hoping they arrive on Monday or Tuesday. Its pissing down with rain which is perfect weather for installing FrSky DIY kit and maybe even the SmartiParts board will arrive too.
Hal9000

Postby chrisjunkie » Thu Jul 26, 2012 11:20 pm

I'd love to know how much I've spent but I know that it would scare me so I just wont do it!! :D
chrisjunkie

Postby Hal9000 » Fri Jul 27, 2012 1:06 am

Banged through another order for a couple of bits for another project and a backlight after receiving my 9x. This order promoted me to a Platinum Member (pffft, don't believe that really means much)

A few hours were spent pouring over it with a hot soldering iron fixing the completely inadequate soldering job. Looks like I got the Friday post boozy lunch build. I even had to unsolder the rudder post and redo because it was inverted (yeah I know I could have probably changed it in the firmware somewhere, but I hadn't got that far.) But hey $50 for a unit that is now as good if not better than my DX6i.

Got sidetracked with not realising the er9x-frsky build to display telelmetry needs some more micro soldering. That is a job for another day/night session.

Love the SmartieParts board. it just such a tidy way to go. But even with that I am rapidly coming to the conclusion that building a new wiring loom might be a rainy day project so I can open the transmitter like a book rather than unplugging the current loom, and still having issues because of the FrSky wiring.

Now just waiting for the AXN to pop out of the "Left country of origin" status. Oh the anticipation! Have charged Lipos ready to go.....
Hal9000

Postby n3rdyguy » Sat Aug 04, 2012 6:28 am

I'm also new in this hobby. I only have a few RTF Helis from Esky and I'm loving them!. I also realized after a a few crashes, and some orders from various places around the world, that this hobby is going to cost alot of my spare time and alot of money. But let's face it. If you weren't spending money on this, wouldn't you just have spend them on Burger King or something stupid like that?? :)
We have to justify it to the wifey somehow, and i recently joined a model club. As I don't get out much (I work at home) i am kind of using this hobby for that purpose, so now twice a week I see my new buddies from the model club and I think that also is a good thing, at least for me. I think to date i've "only" spend about $500 dollars on those two RTF models and some spare parts (+ batteries, charger, etc).
Anyway thats just my 2c :lol:
n3rdyguy

Postby quarry44 » Sat Aug 04, 2012 7:38 am

Between my mate and I,we've spend $1800+ over 28 orders.That's probably more than we've spent in the last 5 years!Mind you,we now have a fair selection of brushless motors,esc's,and batteries to play with.Then there's the axn's,the turnigy radio's,Frsky,and a couple of other planes.
Having been a sporadic flyer for a couple of years,i'm back in the game with a new burst of energy.This would not have been possible without Hobbyking and their low prices.When my old friend and mentor died last year,i was ready to throw in the towel,but as i inherited a lot of his gear,I felt i just had to give it another go.I was amazed at the rise and rise of electrics,and the various foam types now in use.My mate is currently building a Polaris,and I'm gathering the bits for a 125% version of same.
I would happily support the LHS if i could afford to,but when they charge up to 4 times what i pay for the same Chinese-made gear,i draw the line.
Hence me buying a lot from HK.
quarry44

Postby FlyingTiger » Sat Aug 04, 2012 10:53 pm

I never should have fallen into this trap. Adding up 5 RTFs from HobbyKing and NitroPlanes, several scratch built foamies, a T9x and upgrade fixings, 1 heli and 2 helis worth of spare parts, 4 motors, 6 ESCs, 4 UBECs, a butt-load of batteries, assorted and sundry bits, pieces and do-dads I come up with Oh my God, don't let the wife know. I'm close to Quarry44 but I'm only in this about 3 years. Well, at least I'm out in the fresh air and not at some titty bar. :lol:
Gear up and locked!
FlyingTiger

Postby symowallo » Tue Aug 07, 2012 6:38 am

It all does add up, but I know that I wouldn't be in this hobby if it weren't for HK. Back in the 80's when I was a kid, planes were $1K plus... Tamiya cars were about AU$400... So in the big scheme of things, this isn't an expensive hobby. Heck, I used to spend 5 times what I now spend on RC when I was into jet skis!!!! So it's an easy hobby to sell to the wife...
symowallo

Return to For Beginners (if you're just getting started in RC)