Servos

Here's an area where you can ask any kind of question about RC models and find a whole lot of useful information to help you get started.

Servos

Postby Rhzip » Sat Oct 13, 2012 8:57 pm

I am new, about one year.

I have problems with servos. Often they just stop working while I am working on the electricaI stuff. (I use Hitec HS 81). I try rebinding, I am careful to have my batteries (Lipo) charged, I try to following instructions carefully, and yet I have problems. The receiver lights turn on but the receiver is not talking to the servos. They do not move. Every so often they will turn on, sometimes with strange humming or grinding noises, and then they go dead.

I have several that work fine, but too many fail.

How can I tell what went wrong?, how can I check them?, is there a procedure I am not following?, can you burn out a Servo?

Any help would be wonderful.

Thanks.
Rhzip

Re: Servos

Postby quarry44 » Sat Oct 13, 2012 9:49 pm

You mention you use a Lipo battery.Are you powering the servos through a bec,or direct from the battery pack?
You cannot use a 2-cell lipo battery direct on your servo's,the voltage(7.2 nominal),is too high.
Other than that,check your wiring very carefully for bad solder joints.
quarry44

Postby Keith » Sat Oct 13, 2012 10:26 pm

You say some work and others do not...

Make sure you connect them all to the Rx correctly..

Black/brown wire facing out..
If anyone is feeling a bit paranoid....BEHIND YOU....
Keith

Postby mikem » Sun Oct 14, 2012 1:43 am

An Arduino is a nifty second way to test servos, i.e., without using the RC receiver at all:

http://www.oomlout.com/a/products/ardx/circ-04

Also with an Arduino you can ramp multiple servos through multiple maneuvers and watch how current draw varies, look for jitters at specific angles, etc.
mikem

Return to For Beginners (if you're just getting started in RC)