Totally new to RC, need some help with an AXN

Here's an area where you can ask any kind of question about RC models and find a whole lot of useful information to help you get started.

Totally new to RC, need some help with an AXN

Postby Ant » Sun Jan 13, 2013 1:35 pm

Hi,

I'm totally new to RC - only really found out about it a few weeks ago (I thought it would cost $1000 to buy an rc plane, not $100 :D )

Anyway I watched Bruce's video on the AXN and obviously its the one to start with, so there's a couple of things he doesn't cover in the video because it's not aimed at total beginners. So here goes:

I need a receiver - the HK support people said to buy this one : http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/stor ... oduct=8991. Is that the best one to get? I wouldn't know if they were trying to sell me the most expensive thing ever just cause I'm a noob :D Not that it is really that expensive though… btw what is the difference between RX and TX? Also, I live on 100 acres so I have a couple of kilometres to play with - I'd like to get a receiver that will let the plane fly a fair way out (at least 1000m) without losing control.

I need a charger - again HK said this one: http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/stor ... ories.html - is it the best to get? I bought this battery cause it was in stock - http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/stor ... _Pack.html.

Second lastly I'd love a video cam to stick on the plane to record my flight - what is the best camera for less than $50?

Lastly, I'd love to fly with my kids - I saw on a review somewhere that you can get 2 x controllers where one overrides the other, so you can have your kids (or anyone else) fly the plane but you have ultimate control over it. Can someone please post a link to 2 controllers I can use with the AXN that will allow this?

Thanks for your help!

Ant (from Aus)
Ant

Re: Totally new to RC, need some help with an AXN

Postby BillGriffiths100 » Sun Jan 13, 2013 2:57 pm

Read this topic you will find out all about axn's
viewtopic.php?f=54&t=1443#p10650
Compromising with out of control government is like living with a lion, sooner or later the bloody thing will eat you .

You accept the tyranny of the state when it's not being applied to you, when it is: it's too late.
BillGriffiths100

Postby cynr100 » Mon Jan 14, 2013 9:48 am

Hi Ant,
Welcome to the throng.
If you have never had ANY experience with flying, like myself, find someone to teach you. The vids all make it look very easy but it's not, there are lots of small factors that come into play, the best option is to find someone who has some experience.
Once the basics are learnt (CG,expo,throws, thrust angle yada,yada,yada) it becomes enjoyable.
I'm on my 3rd AXN........... :oops: :lol: .......... and by no means accomplished, I still don't go out to fly without some assistance I'm over throwing money into the dirt, I can fix them okay but I want to be a pilot not a ground crew :lol: . The first was destroyed (after numerous crashes) purely because of inexperience, the 2nd became so out of shape due to impacts it would no longer fly in a nominated direction, but I was getting better.

If you are in Oz buy from the Oz warehouse, it will save you some time related frustration and you will get quick service from those guys.
The Turnigy 9x is a good cheap unit to start with, upgrades are available from sources other than HK, thats another story.
Tx is your transmitter (hand controller) and Rx is the radio receiver (in the plane).
I prefer the Zippy brand batteries also available from HK and the Accucell 6 is also a good entry point. Also, if the budget allows, a HK-010 power analyser to keep checks on your batteries.
For video recording something like this is a cheap place to start.

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/stor ... _card.html

The HK units are not very good, but passable, I would suggest EBay and look for a No3 or No16 type keyfob cam, that is another story.

We are coming up to Chinese New Year so I would suggest that any purchase for any of the above come from a source with Oz, having a parcel lost in CNY is extremely frustrating.
Cheers Dennis............welcome to the addiction :lol: :lol:
Not enough time in the day for all my crazy ideas, I'm not slow, I'm just pacing myself
cynr100

Postby Ant » Tue Jan 15, 2013 5:23 am

Hi,

Thanks so much for your replies. I figured that it was probably harder than it looks :D

I'll have to take it real easy to start with - however I do have a mate who has been flying for years so hopefully we'll start of ok.

With the Turnigy 9x I read a bunch of reviews that said it is a great starting point, but that the range is not great - is increasing the range a case of a better Rx or would i need a better Tx - can you increase the range of that controller?

Thanks again!

I haven't even got my plane and I'm feeling the addiction... :D
Ant

Postby cynr100 » Tue Jan 15, 2013 8:39 am

One of Bruce's vids shows how to upgrade the Tx with a DIY Frsky module, this will allow you to use FrSky Rx units.
An overall improvement in the Turnigy 9x.
I use a FlySky FSTH9X (same as the Turnigy 9X), my unit did not have a hardwired Tx module (this is what the DIY FrSky module overcomes) which enabled me to PNP (plug & play) the FrSky systm. I also added a SmartieParts board which then enabled me to upgrade to the er9X firmware. I now have the ability to run 16 models from the one Tx and I can plug into my computer to change settings.
Wish I had more time to explain in great detail, however, search this site for everything I have mentioned and also http://9xforums.com/forum/index.php?sid ... 28a1e7e849 regarding upgraded firmware and its' advantages.
Also the link that Bill posted, it's a long read but informative.
Cheer Dennis
Not enough time in the day for all my crazy ideas, I'm not slow, I'm just pacing myself
cynr100

Postby drg964 » Tue Jan 15, 2013 2:04 pm

Ant wrote:
With the Turnigy 9x I read a bunch of reviews that said it is a great starting point, but that the range is not great - is increasing the range a case of a better Rx or would i need a better Tx - can you increase the range of that controller?

I would go with the Turnigy 9x set recommended to you by HK. I used this same package to start with and range was not a problem.

From my own experience concentrate on getting the AXN up to the air, keeping it there and then bringing it down in one piece before going all out for the mods regarding controllers and tx.

Also (and I may cop some abuse here for this heresy) do consider the Bixler as another one to learn to fly on. The local flyers that cynr100 and I hang out with recommend the Bixler as a starter as it is less temperamental to sudden stick movements made by a beginner.
You can call me Al
drg964

Postby cynr100 » Tue Jan 15, 2013 8:39 pm

drg964 wrote:Also (and I may cop some abuse here for this heresy) do consider the Bixler as another one to learn to fly on. The local flyers that cynr100 and I hang out with recommend the Bixler as a starter as it is less temperamental to sudden stick movements made by a beginner.

Have to agree with that, having watched both flying side by side by learners the Bix would be the choice. However as my trainer says "what the Bixler can't teach you the AXN can" they have slightly differing flight characteristic with the Bix having a smaller "panic envelope" :lol:
cynr100

Postby S-rob » Mon Jan 28, 2013 3:15 am

Perhaps a Bixler2 is the way to go.
I have an AXN, ONLY advantage I can see over a Bix is it may be tougher.
Most locals have the Bix , possibly a better flyer
S-rob

Postby cynr100 » Mon Jan 28, 2013 8:57 am

I nearly went a Bix2 but money (cheap ass) and time (impatience!!) made the selection of another AXN, that proved a waste as the weather and work have prevented any flying.
The most annoying trait of the AXN is the full throttle nose down attitude until speed is gained and lift takes over. I have been reading up on thrust lines and what to expect from different angles, so on this AXN am going to try and shim the engine mount to remove this trait. Will post my results or pics of busted AXN bits :lol: .
cynr100

Postby Hallmark » Tue Jan 29, 2013 1:53 pm

cynr100 wrote:... Will post my results or pics of busted AXN bits :lol: ...

:o :shock: :? :lol: saying no more than that hehehehe...
"I am prepared to meet my Maker. Whether my Maker is prepared for the great ordeal of meeting me is another matter." Winston Churchill
Hallmark

Next

Return to For Beginners (if you're just getting started in RC)