Yep another noob wanting a AXN floater

Here's an area where you can ask any kind of question about RC models and find a whole lot of useful information to help you get started.

Yep another noob wanting a AXN floater

Postby rocketnz » Tue Apr 02, 2013 1:42 am

Hi there,

Wanting to have a bit of fun with this AXN floater.

Have been getting a list together and have a question. whats the difference between the TX-9X-M2 and the TX-9X-M1 turnigy 9x ?

Do you thinkI should be purchasing the new 9x-r or just use the 9x ?

Thanks to all, great site, and hope to pass on my knowledge on this forum in the months to come.
rocketnz

Re: Yep another noob wanting a AXN floater

Postby BillGriffiths100 » Tue Apr 02, 2013 8:03 am

Basically they are the same the main difference is the Turnigy version if you buy the version with the flysky module it is supplied with a wired in aerial that has to be removed if you change modules.
They all originate from the same source and are branded differently.
If you buy the version without the module you can plug in the frsky module without having to open the transmitter and carry out the aerial modifications.
The 9x-r has a built in port for upgrading the software, it also comes with better software but the mechanics are not an improvement on the original in fact worse.
So the choice is yours..
Compromising with out of control government is like living with a lion, sooner or later the bloody thing will eat you .

You accept the tyranny of the state when it's not being applied to you, when it is: it's too late.
BillGriffiths100

Postby cynr100 » Tue Apr 02, 2013 8:17 am

rocketnz wrote:Hi there,

Wanting to have a bit of fun with this AXN floater.

Have been getting a list together and have a question. whats the difference between the TX-9X-M2 and the TX-9X-M1 turnigy 9x ?

Do you thinkI should be purchasing the new 9x-r or just use the 9x ?

Thanks to all, great site, and hope to pass on my knowledge on this forum in the months to come.

M1 is Mode 1 - throttle on the right stick
M2 is Mode 2 - throttle on the left stick

Most people I know fly mode 1, it's a good thing to establish what others are doing especially if you are looking for assistance/training. Most people feel uncomfortable changing from one mode to the other. Also available is mode 3 & 4, search the internet to find the difference, they are rarely used.

What Tx/Rx ???, there are many factors to consider eg previous experience, type of flying, cost, firmware, expansion of system etc etc

A startup Tx/Rx (Tx - transmitter, Rx - receiver) can cost as little as $30 for a basic 4 channel, enough to fly the AXN Floater.

If you do intend to expand, a 9Xr without module is the ultimate expansion unit from HK. Add your own (choice) Tx module and Rx, selection of firmware available on the internet.
My choice would be:
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/stor ... dule_.html
mated with
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/stor ... II_RX.html
Cost being under $100, to achieve the same result starting with a basic 9x with module then expanding to this level of setup, add another $80, plus soldering skill is required.
Er9x is one of the first firmware programs developed for the 9x family of Tx's, read this to get a useful background
http://openrcforums.com/wiki/index.php/Er9x_user_guide
or
http://openrcforums.com/forum/index.php ... 28a1e7e849

With the availability of the 9Xr without module and Er9x ready it is a cheap and easy place for a novice to start.
Not enough time in the day for all my crazy ideas, I'm not slow, I'm just pacing myself
cynr100

Postby BillGriffiths100 » Tue Apr 02, 2013 9:57 am

Most people I know fly mode 1

As anyone in the northern hemisphere knows mode 2 is the only way to fly unless you're left handed.
Unfortunately being upside down confuses the inhabitants of the southern hemisphere who sadly have taken the path of decadence mode 1!
Compromising with out of control government is like living with a lion, sooner or later the bloody thing will eat you .

You accept the tyranny of the state when it's not being applied to you, when it is: it's too late.
BillGriffiths100

Postby rocketnz » Tue Apr 02, 2013 10:23 am

Ok thanks for the kinks will get reading.

Im a bit stuck on the modules to be honest. Not sure what path to take.

Everyone seems to be running this frysky module diy kit. But do i upgradevto it straight away or do i buy a 9x with standard module, but will i inevitbly want to upgrade to frysky after a few flights thus spending even more money.

So that frysky module just slots into the 9xR? Any other install instructions?

Will go read abit cheers
rocketnz

Postby cynr100 » Tue Apr 02, 2013 12:20 pm

BillGriffiths100 wrote:
Most people I know fly mode 1

As anyone in the northern hemisphere knows mode 2 is the only way to fly unless you're left handed.
Unfortunately being upside down confuses the inhabitants of the southern hemisphere who sadly have taken the path of decadence mode 1!

We practise "right side dominance", apparently left hand dominants' are late puberty bloomers and have a greater tendancy to become alcoholics. Just a few facts I found when trying to decide what mode I wanted to fly :D
Not enough time in the day for all my crazy ideas, I'm not slow, I'm just pacing myself
cynr100

Postby cynr100 » Tue Apr 02, 2013 12:32 pm

rocketnz wrote:Ok thanks for the kinks will get reading.

Im a bit stuck on the modules to be honest. Not sure what path to take.

Everyone seems to be running this frysky module diy kit. But do i upgradevto it straight away or do i buy a 9x with standard module, but will i inevitbly want to upgrade to frysky after a few flights thus spending even more money.

So that frysky module just slots into the 9xR? Any other install instructions?

Will go read abit cheers

Okay looks like you plan on expanding your Tx so my advice, stay away from the 9x with module. Go straight for the 9Xr and the FrSky combo kit, no further tinkering is required, no DIY install, no SmartieParts board, no soldering.
I use the eePe program to instal Er9x firmware and to manage functions of the Tx via computer, these can also be done on the Tx itself but sometimes I find it easier this way as the program also has a simulation function to test your parameters. Reference to eePe can be found in the previous links, or you can Google and d/load the program.
cynr100

Postby BillGriffiths100 » Tue Apr 02, 2013 3:01 pm

tendancy to become alcoholics

Hmm sounds like you're in denial sadly just flying that way won't cure your alcoholism! :)
Back to the subject Dennis is right if you do get the new TX and you want to reprogram it you will need only a $ 4.95 programmer (and your PC running windows) so that's a good option.
To use eePe you will also need the programmer.
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/stor ... ssors.html
However on the other side Bruce did rather criticise the new layout and build quality
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SWYW2QYKrL4
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ufQUFQ5q-hI

BillGriffiths100

Postby rocketnz » Thu Apr 04, 2013 3:43 am

Thanks guys. very informative, ive seen the videos from Bruce.

I want to take the plunge, have not done RC for years, last RC i had was a .90 thunder tiger ek-4 restoration and it never did go to plan. I cant believe how cheap things have got over the last 5 years i've been away.

my struggle now is where will i fly? im in north bondi, sydney. Im guessing i just need a football field or so large to have a bash with the AXN floater? opinions? anyone from this side of sydney?

hobbyking AUS seems to be all out of turnigy tx. will have to wait i guess.
rocketnz

Postby rocketnz » Thu Apr 04, 2013 4:37 am

$272 AU for the noobie AXN floater kit and accessories for anyone's interest. Delivered from HK.

Quantity Stock Product description Price Weight
OK 9171000184 - Turnigy 9XR Transmitter Mode 2 (No Modul.. $49.99 1280
OK JR-Combo - FrSky DJT 2.4Ghz Combo Pack for JR w/ Te.. $36.40 147
OK HK-SS30A - Hobbyking SS Series 25-30A ESC $7.15 45
OK HKSCM9-6 - HKSCM9-6 Singlechip Digital Micro Servo .. $14.95 85
OK AXN-C-MOT - Floater-Jet EPO with Motor (ARF)
*This item usually ships within 3 days $46.80 2598
BK Z22003S-25 - ZIPPY Flightmax 2200mAh 3S1P 25C
This item is on backorder* $26.97 645
OK HK-171 - HK-171 Thread Locker & Sealant Medium St.. $4.79 27
OK HLFT-01 - Polyester Velcro Peel-n-stick adhesive s.. $2.39 107
OK OR033-00502 - High stength fiber tape 24mm x 50mtr $7.02 250
OK 601Ax5 - Male XT60 connectors (5pcs/bag) GENUINE $1.77 29
OK GON-D3T6 - Propeller Adapter (Colet Type) 3MM $1.22 25
rocketnz

Next

Return to For Beginners (if you're just getting started in RC)