RC Plane question for a Noob

Here's an area where you can ask any kind of question about RC models and find a whole lot of useful information to help you get started.

RC Plane question for a Noob

Postby Ant » Tue Apr 02, 2013 10:53 pm

Hey people,

New to RC, bought an AXN, followed Bruce's epic video build, took AXN out and crashed it pretty quickly (several times)... it's glued up fine but won't take much more punishment before being un-useable.

So I thought I'd try something easier, which is what my question is: are the 'flying wing' type rc planes even easier to fly than the AXN or should I just stick with the AXN till i get the idea?

Some of the hobbyking flying wings are (don't know if these will work as links but will try anyway):

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/stor ... ouse_.html
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/stor ... ouse_.html

Should I look at one of these as a total beginner, or stick with the AXN and go to a local club? Are they easier to fly than the AXN? My assumption is that a 3 channel plane HAS to be easier than a 4 channel but I could be wrong. Also does the Turnigy 9x support the delta/aileron mixing so the ailerons become the elevator as well?

Thanks,

Ant
Last edited by Ant on Wed Apr 03, 2013 1:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ant

Re: RC Plane question for a Noob

Postby iflylilplanes » Wed Apr 03, 2013 12:46 am

Hi Ant,
The AXN is the better, the wings you have the URLs for are way above beginners. What you realy need is to join a club, there you will get help setting up the AXN, trimming and instruction, very few people learn by them selves, and, yes the 9X will support wing mixing. Tell us where you are and we mite be able to point you at a club.
Many Thanks,

Dave W.

Dead Stick Glide Distance: Half the distance from the airplane to the nearest emergency landing field.
iflylilplanes

Postby Ant » Wed Apr 03, 2013 1:29 am

Hey thanks for the answer! So the AXN is the best beginner plane you can think of - I'm about to order another one to replace my broken one, but I could get something else if it were easier or more stable.

I'm in Bairnsdale in Victoria - there is a club here but I don't know anyone from it. I have a friend who used to fly a few years ago and he has one of those wings and he thought that it would be easier to fly than a 4 channel, hence the question - but everything online and that I've read that Bruce said is that the AXN is the best beginner plane.

Thanks again,

Ant
Ant

Postby cynr100 » Wed Apr 03, 2013 2:29 am

Hi Ant,
Stick with the AXN, you can get the kit for $41 plus delivery, you have most of the bits to go in it.
Dave W. is right in that you really should have someone with experience guide you, there is so much to learn and after a while they become simple things for example:
1/ CoG, get it right use pins to balance at the right point not your fingers until you gain more experience.
2/ Tone down the control surfaces by moving the control rod to nearer the surface hinge point, this reduces the size of "throw".
3/ Get your trims correct mechanically first.
4/ If available use 80-100% expo on your Tx

Just a few of the things that can make life enjoyable, but nothing beats hands on assistance from an experienced flyer.
Bruce has a recent vid on how to launch the AXN, it can be a handful to the novice because of its' tendency to nose down under throttle .

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8GnDRrOE ... Vw&index=7

I launch mine at 60% throttle, concentrate on level wings with increasing height and make wide slow turns. When I have say 30m height I backoff to 50% and slowly gain more height.
I rarely use more than 70% throttle. With experience you can do this a lot faster, at the moment I am concentrating more on spacial position. Meaning that I want the plane to do and go where I want it, not at the whim of the wind or gravity and having to constantly save it from crashing.

If you are "over" the AXN give the Bixler 1400mm a go (I have one on order now), very similar to the AXN without the nose dive under throttle (apparently).
Not enough time in the day for all my crazy ideas, I'm not slow, I'm just pacing myself
cynr100

Postby cynr100 » Wed Apr 03, 2013 2:33 am

PS, I should also mention that I rarely use the rudder, concentrating more on aileron/elevator turns. I tried a session disconnecting the rudder from the Rx and making sure the rudder was trimmed neutral, there was no dumb thumb rudder input and I could concentrate on elevator, aileron, throttle making it a 3ch unit.
Not enough time in the day for all my crazy ideas, I'm not slow, I'm just pacing myself
cynr100

Postby Ant » Wed Apr 03, 2013 2:51 am

Hey thanks so much for your interest and help. I'll contact my local club and see what they can do. I had thought about disabling my rudder so I could forget about it... I might try that.

Out of interest my TX is mode 1 so throttle on right - how would you normally setup your controls? Currently I have throttle/ailerons on right stick and rudder/elevator on left - is there an easier way to set that up for a beginner? I'm not used to it so happy to change :D

Thanks,

Ant
Ant

Postby cynr100 » Wed Apr 03, 2013 5:54 am

[quote="cynr100"]2/ Tone down the control surfaces by moving the control rod to nearer the surface hinge point, this reduces the size of "throw".
quote]

:oops: :oops: :) Sorry Ant, that should be move the control rod to the outer most hole on the control horn, this will reduce the movement of the control surface. :)
cynr100

Postby cynr100 » Wed Apr 03, 2013 5:57 am

A quick link for you regarding modes-
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LiroXnpghIA
cynr100

Postby Andre » Wed Apr 03, 2013 10:01 am

I love the AXN - but ...
If you want a real easy plane to learn to fly on, get the Hobbyzone Champ. It's super stable and will get you used to the controls.

I smashed up a few planes, then got a Champ. I learned on it and then returned to fly my glued-up AXN well.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=tTfrXvmJZ1c

André
Andre

Postby iflylilplanes » Wed Apr 03, 2013 1:11 pm

Ant,
I learnt to fly RC 1973, no such thing as ARF, we had to build our trainers either from scratch or from a kit, and, no electrics just IC glow motors they call them today nitro engines. Now, I have flown the AXN and the Bixler, both are great trainers good stable platforms, Expos are a fantastic addition. 99% of RC flyers in OZ fly mode 1, personally, I think you should fly the mode you're comfortable with. As for the rudder, don't discount it altogether, up until 2 years ago I only used rudder for taxi, takeoff and landing roll out, since I started flying 3D, learning to use the rudder for hover has saved me from so many hard arrivals and lots of repair time. Yes, visit the local club, talk to the guys, watch their thumbs on the sticks, it will benefit you.
Many Thanks,

Dave W.

Dead Stick Glide Distance: Half the distance from the airplane to the nearest emergency landing field.
iflylilplanes

Next

Return to For Beginners (if you're just getting started in RC)