Fatshark Attitude problems...please assist..

Here's an area where you can ask any kind of question about RC models and find a whole lot of useful information to help you get started.

Fatshark Attitude problems...please assist..

Postby pugs2300 » Thu May 02, 2013 4:13 pm

*******fatshark blows

So i purchased the attitude set as my first fpv setup...i did a quick mock up first and everything worked as expected so i went ahead and installed the gear in my plane....i flew the plane twice without any issue what so ever....the next weekend (last weekend) i decided to install the system into my quad...i removed the Vtx from the plane and mocked it up beside the quad before actually installing it, and it doesn't seem to be working now....all i get through the goggles is static and on one channel i get a blank/black screen.....yes the cap is off the camera........here is what i have tried so far to fix the problem
1. i tried another camera and got the same results
2. i redid all the wiring and got the same results
3. i reinstalled the system in the plane it was working in the prior weekend and got the same results
4. i have checked all the channels on the goggles to no avail
5. i noticed that if i move the Vtx around with my hand the static changes a little depending on where/how i move it

this is how i have it wired up....i know it worked this way but ill go through it again just for good measure...

my camera is 12v so it is powered directly from the + and - leads from the flight battery......the Vtx is powered from the balance lead on the flight battery....and the video signal runs from the cam to the video input on the Vtx....as i said i have flown with the system twice on my plane and all was well so this part should be good....

the attitude goggles are either powered from a 2s battery or if i am using the head tracker they are powered directly from my 9xr rc transmitter.....also i am using IBCrazy blue beam antennas....

I am almost positive the problem is the Vtx....i have ruled out the wiring and the camera for the most part.....but i don't have another Vtx or receiver to use to test them with...but i do get static through the goggles so it seems that would indicate that the reciever is trying to find a signal.....

*********this is a copy of a post i made on the FPVLAB forums where fatshark has their tech support....if you can call it that...the fatshark guy told me that since i was getting a black screen on the goggles that turns to snow when i turn off the Vtx that means that the Vtx and Rx are working properly....he said it was a camera problem or a wiring problem then closed my thread and marked it solved before i could even respond......well i have tested with a brand new just opened camera and a gopro i borrowed to try....neither worked and produced the same results.....i even made up a new wiring harness to rule that out....this is driving me crazy.....i can't figure out what the problem is so i don't know what i need to replace....i know the monitor on the goggles work fine when i connect them to the video out on my TV.....seems to me it has to be the Vtx or the Rx but the fatshark "tech" said no....i just want to fly....i got just enough of a taste of this to know that i love it and then it all goes to crap.....please give me any ideas/opinions you have as they are much appreciated....

here is a link to the post on FPVlabs forum and the thread i made after he closed it on me and marked it solved and changed the name of the thread from "fatshark attitude problems...please assist to "12v camera setup issues with 250 mW Tx"....the change in the thread title and the fact that he marked it solved and closed the thread when it is anything but solved has pissed me off to now end....i will never ever ever buy another fatshark/immersion item....never...heres the links..
http://fpvlab.com/forums/showthread.php?15299-12V-camera-setup-issues-with-250mW-TX-SOLVED
http://fpvlab.com/forums/showthread.php?15539-Fatshark-Attitude-problems...please-assist..&p=258759#post258759
pugs2300

Re: Fatshark Attitude problems...please assist..

Postby cynr100 » Fri May 03, 2013 1:54 pm

pugs2300 wrote:my camera is 12v so it is powered directly from the + and - leads from the flight battery......the Vtx is powered from the balance lead on the flight battery....and the video signal runs from the cam to the video input on the Vtx....as i said i have flown with the system twice on my plane and all was well so this part should be good....

Have you tried powering the camera and Vtx from the same location not just "sharing" the same battery I assume here that the Vtx can handle 12v input and is not a 5v unit.
Have you also tried reinstalling the original dipole antennas.
If you do get things working again I have it on good advice that on a multirotor only the ESCs should be powered directly from the battery all other electronics flight controller, camera, OSD, Vtx etc should be powered via a UBEC (sometimes 2 UBECs if a gimble is installed).

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthre ... 720&page=3 post #45 looks like a pretty good deal to me I'd run with that.
Not enough time in the day for all my crazy ideas, I'm not slow, I'm just pacing myself
cynr100

Postby BillGriffiths100 » Fri May 03, 2013 2:45 pm

gimble
??
Beware the gimbal-lock, my son!
`Twas brillig, and the slithy toves
Did gyre and gimble* in the wabe;
All mimsy were the borogoves,
And the mome raths outgrabe.

*Only known use of Gimble in the english language.
Compromising with out of control government is like living with a lion, sooner or later the bloody thing will eat you .

You accept the tyranny of the state when it's not being applied to you, when it is: it's too late.
BillGriffiths100

Postby cynr100 » Fri May 03, 2013 10:34 pm

:oops: :oops:
Mr Dodgson would be frumious with my galumphing through the English language, if it wasn't for the bandersnatch I would go unchecked. :D
Not enough time in the day for all my crazy ideas, I'm not slow, I'm just pacing myself
cynr100

Postby Keith » Sat May 04, 2013 1:17 am

I had a similar problem with my set up, one minute working then nothing.

I was using a screen not goggles.

Turned out to be the connector that plugged into the camera.

Cut it off, rewired it and no more problems...
If anyone is feeling a bit paranoid....BEHIND YOU....
Keith

Postby BillGriffiths100 » Sat May 04, 2013 7:40 am

if it wasn't for the bandersnatch I would go unchecked. :D

Indeed:

And the Banker, inspired with a courage so new
It was matter for general remark,
Rushed madly ahead and was lost to their view
In his zeal to discover the Snark.
But while he was seeking with thimbles and care,
A Bandersnatch swiftly drew nigh
And grabbed at the Banker, who shrieked in despair,
For he knew it was useless to fly.
He offered large discount—he offered a TV
52 Inches for a lifetime supply of AXN:
But the Bandersnatch merely extended its neck
And grabbed at the Banker again.

Without rest or pause—while those frumious jaws
Went savagely snapping around—
He skipped and he hopped, and he floundered and flopped,
Till fainting he fell to the ground.
..................etc

Back to the problem in hand could you possibly have damaged the transmitter by powering it up without the aerial?
This might account for the sudden failure, unfortunately the transmitter can be damaged almost immediately if this occurs.
Last edited by BillGriffiths100 on Fri May 10, 2013 2:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Compromising with out of control government is like living with a lion, sooner or later the bloody thing will eat you .

You accept the tyranny of the state when it's not being applied to you, when it is: it's too late.
BillGriffiths100

Postby cynr100 » Sat May 04, 2013 11:18 am

Surprised pugs2300 has not made a comment as yet, maybe he took up the offer from Fatshark............hmmmmm?
cynr100

Postby BillGriffiths100 » Sat May 04, 2013 5:08 pm

Or our nonsense has made him frumious!

BillGriffiths100

Postby cynr100 » Sat May 04, 2013 7:46 pm

I read through the 2 links posted. He is an angry person, rightly so but, would have thought the offer from Fatshark to resolve the problem more than adequate.
cynr100

Postby pugs2300 » Tue May 07, 2013 3:59 pm

hey guys sorry it took me so long to respond...ill respond starting from the first reply from you guys...

cynr100 wrote:Have you tried powering the camera and Vtx from the same location not just "sharing" the same battery I assume here that the Vtx can handle 12v input and is not a 5v unit.
Have you also tried reinstalling the original dipole antennas.
If you do get things working again I have it on good advice that on a multirotor only the ESCs should be powered directly from the battery all other electronics flight controller, camera, OSD, Vtx etc should be powered via a UBEC (sometimes 2 UBECs if a gimble is installed).

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthre ... 720&page=3 post #45 looks like a pretty good deal to me I'd run with that.

the Vtx has a power harness with a built in regulator....it will except the balance connector from a 2s or 3s battery....
I have tried the original antennas...
Ill keep that in mind....when i was originally researching and asking questions about how to wire this all up i never found anything to lead me to this assumption...but it may have been over looked on my part....thanks...
im not sending them anything...i have on a couple occasions...sent things off for "warranty repairs" and never got them or a replacement...there for i would rather work things like this out myself...

Keith wrote:I had a similar problem with my set up, one minute working then nothing.
I was using a screen not goggles.
Turned out to be the connector that plugged into the camera.
Cut it off, rewired it and no more problems...

I thought of that....i actually made three harnesses other than the one i was originally using...no luck there..

BillGriffiths100 wrote:Back to the problem in hand could you possibly have damaged the transmitter by powering it up without the aerial?
This might account for the sudden failure, unfortunately the transmitter can be damaged almost immediately if this occurs.

The antenna has never been removed since i installed it other than to try the original antenna and at which time it already wasn't working...

cynr100 wrote:Surprised pugs2300 has not made a comment as yet, maybe he took up the offer from Fatshark............hmmmmm?

NO...

cynr100 wrote:I read through the 2 links posted. He is an angry person, rightly so but, would have thought the offer from Fatshark to resolve the problem more than adequate.

well first i was an upset person...not angry......i became an angry person after i decided to go try to get assistance from the Fatshark guy and i felt like i was swept under the rug...

here is what i know guys....
I am 100% sure that my cameras work fine....i made a harness so that i could plug them straight into the goggles (bypassing the Tx/Rx and both of them work perfectly....
I am 100% sure that my wiring harness isn't faulty as i have checked all 4 of them with a meter several times...
I am 100% sure that the method of wiring is good....although to be sure i moved the ground that fatshark suggested and had no luck with that either...
that only leaves the Vtx/rx.....
according to the fatshark guy....since i get a black/blank screen that turns to static when i shut down the Vtx, that mean that the Vtx/rx are working as they should....
so that leaves nothing....there is absolutely nothing wrong with my FPV system other than it doesn't work.............UGH!!
I appreciate the replies and the suggestions guys.....thanks
pugs2300

Next

Return to For Beginners (if you're just getting started in RC)