Air-Boat and FPV?

Here's an area where you can ask any kind of question about RC models and find a whole lot of useful information to help you get started.

Air-Boat and FPV?

Postby Forthcoming » Sat May 25, 2013 5:58 pm

I live in Portland, Oregon(USA) I really would like to get into FPV! I love making my own air-boats and other crafts of the like and there are a few large lakes around that I think would be extremely fun to attach a FPV system onto, I can play around and chase some birds and so forth. My question is this. Is there a set up that can perform well over the water and or land? If so can you help me with a list of parts you would use under these conditions? Also what kind of radio/ receiver would you use for a range of control around 1-2 miles (over flat land)? The gear I have so far on this air-boat is as fallows

Engine:
Great Planes Rimfire .15 35-36-1200 Outrunner Brushless

ESC:
Great Planes Silver Series 45A Brushless ESC 5V/2A BEC

Batt:
Great Planes LiPo 11.1V 1000mAh 25C

If I need to add anything (like a larger battery) or change what I have right now I can without trouble. So if you could help me out a little I would appreciate it vary much!! I can solder and etch my own chips and boards if you have plans for any "build it yourself" parts.

Thank you for your time!
Forthcoming

Re: Air-Boat and FPV?

Postby Bio Hazzard » Mon Jul 01, 2013 2:38 pm

I don't know a lot about air-boats but I do have a number of FPV flights under my belt. With FPV in general your best off flying somewhere safe on actual land for the first few flights. After about ten flights then would I consider more dangerous missions (e.g. flying over water, night flying etc..) The main problem is if you fly over a larger lake you won't have any landmarks to navigate from (it looks a lot different from the sky) and when you fly out of range or your radio drops out (which will happen) the plane won't have anywhere safe to land.

Other than building up experience flying FPV some things you might want to consider if you're going to be doing missions over water:

#1 Screens have a brilliant advantage over goggles that most people overlook - landings and takeoffs can be done via LOS then once airborne you'll switch over to FPV. This greatly helps for tricky landings & takeoffs that can't be accomplished via FPV flying like water launches or night flying.

#2 Most flyers tack on their FPV setups to the back of their planes (e.g. Bruces FPV backpack) for flying where the plane might get wet / water splashing on it this might not be ideal. Thus having a plane with enough room to incase the FPV would be prefered.

#3 If your into touch & go's I could put some consideration into the camera, it would be concerning if a big drop of waters hits the lense completely ruining your vision.

#4 REMEMBER google maps is your friends always plan out your flight and know what to do in an emergency - with FPV you can either have amazing flights or really bad flights

I'll do a thread some time compiling information from different FPV fliers giving all the tips & tricks to successful and enjoyable FPV flights.
Bio Hazzard

Return to For Beginners (if you're just getting started in RC)