Begginers transmitters

Here's an area where you can ask any kind of question about RC models and find a whole lot of useful information to help you get started.

Begginers transmitters

Postby Edie00773 » Sat Jul 27, 2013 11:41 pm

I am hopping to get into the RC plane hobby but i am unsure what transmitter to get, i have been looking mostly at the Turnigy 9XR but I have heard it can be hard to get used to, I do not want to spend more than £50 (GBP) any and all advise would be very welcome

Thanks
Ed
Edie00773

Re: Begginers transmitters

Postby FlyingTiger » Mon Jul 29, 2013 12:22 am

You would be better off getting the 9x. The 9xR does not come with a module so you would have to add that plus receiver(s) to match. Both of those are added expense. The 9x comes all ready to go with an 8 channel receiver. Also, the 9x can use Hobby King 4 & 6 channel receivers which are cheap as dirt but work just fine. If you want to add money to the system you can add a programmer board from Smartiparts and upgrade the software (highly recommended) to the free ER9x or OPEN9x which give extended capabilities making this inexpensive radio equal to those costing hundreds more.
Gear up and locked!
FlyingTiger

Postby Edie00773 » Tue Jul 30, 2013 1:15 am

I understand that the 9XR does not have a module I was thinking of getting the Orange RX:
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/stor ... ible_.html
Surly with the module added on later this allows me to upgrade to a better one in the future if I want or just change the module to use other reciters. Are there any features of the 9X which would make it the better choice or was it mainly the module? I do appreciate the response and I should have made the module clear in my first post.
Thanks
Ed
Edie00773

Postby deaconFlyer » Tue Jul 30, 2013 2:28 am

Yes to 9XR but you have to have some computer skills and the USB programmer. Dump the original firmware fast!

Yes to FRSky or Orange depending on the planes you plan to fly. I fly park flyers in the summer and Blade helis inside in the winter. One transmitter - two modules - and still saving money.

Personally, I hope to swap out my FrSky for a Taranis over the winter.

BTW ... Not a single glitch to date!
----
Luke 6:38
deaconFlyer

Return to For Beginners (if you're just getting started in RC)