Lipo Batteries ? what is the bang for your Buck!

Here's an area where you can ask any kind of question about RC models and find a whole lot of useful information to help you get started.

Re: Lipo Batteries ? what is the bang for your Buck!

Postby will » Tue Nov 05, 2013 11:42 pm

cynr100 wrote:Chatting on another forum with a guy that does aerial mapping with a hexacopter for a living, the Zippy line gives him best value and longevity.

thanks
Hobby King Recommends Trunigy Lipo but Zippy have better performance?
For the Quad Copter I am look at starting out with – Walker QR X350
Hobby King Recommends: Note: The QR X350 uses 3.5mm bullet connectors for the battery plug, please see the accessories tab below for the battery adapter to XT-60. This allows you to use our Turnigy batteries with the QR X350.
IS HK JUST GETTING A KICK BACK FROM TRURNIGY OR IS THIS WHAT SHOULD BE DONE?
Looking at the following Zippy:
http://hobbyking.com.au/hobbyking/store ... _Pack.html
I can see a balance lead on this battery, in the above link, why do they not have a balance lead?
I would like to know as I heard that motors, controller can burn out if using the wrong or not recommend equipment / products.
will

Postby cynr100 » Wed Nov 06, 2013 9:02 pm

Not sure why there is no balance lead in that shot, trust me all 3S Lipos will have a balance lead no matter what brand.

Kick back or profit margin..............that's the question. If your new car came with Dunlop tires would you stick with them for the life of the car or would you go with your favourite brand because you got better wear rate and a more comfortable ride at a cheaper price??

There are many brands of LiPo's available, Turnigy is not the top of the line. Don't get too hung up on the name, as long as the cell count (voltage) is as required for your quad and the connectors fit no damage will be done, think of the mAh rating as fuel in the tank. If the plugs don't fit you can make or buy adapters or change out the connectors to suit, it is a matter of personal preference as to which plug/connector is best for you.
Having said that you will on occasion get a "dud", brand new, that's were your battery checker comes in handy always check them on receipt. Cell voltage should all be equal.

If this is your first experience with LiPo's then this is a good site for general info and safety tips:

http://radiocontrol.wikia.com/wiki/Lithium_polymer
Not enough time in the day for all my crazy ideas, I'm not slow, I'm just pacing myself
cynr100

Postby quarry44 » Wed Nov 06, 2013 9:49 pm

Turnigy is Hobbyking's "house brand",so naturally they push them.To be honest,I don't see that much difference for the average flier,unless you need the absolute top performance out of your packs.But then you shouldn't be shopping at hk anyway.I like the yellow Zippy Compacts because the way they are packed suits most of my aeroplanes.Turnigys are a bit narrower,but longer.I also have some standard size blue zippy packs,and as far as i can tell,they are exactly the same as the Turnigy packs.
quarry44

Previous

Return to For Beginners (if you're just getting started in RC)