Axn clouds floater

Here's an area where you can ask any kind of question about RC models and find a whole lot of useful information to help you get started.

Axn clouds floater

Postby Rustypilot » Tue Jan 07, 2014 2:06 am

Hi guys
I have watched all of Bruce's reviews on the axn. Fantastic detail thanks so much. I went ahead and made the purchase. I have got to the stage of soldering my 30 a speed controller in and powered it up. Servos work and the motor worked so I unplugged the speed controller from the motor. I replugged it back in about ten minutes later but no power to motor this time. I tried two different charged batteries but same result. As mentioned servos work fine. I used all the specified hardware that Bruce suggested. I have connected to separate motor as well but no luck there either. Totally new to this and would love to get flying. I wander if anyone might have some advice..
Rustypilot

Re: Axn clouds floater

Postby cynr100 » Tue Jan 07, 2014 8:37 am

I would check all your solder joins as well as the ones on the ESC. Do the servos still work when plugged in? If you have one bad solder you should still get some hint of motion or jitters if there are 2 noting will happen.
Also check your Tx, do you have "throttle cut" programmed, you may inadvertently have this engaged.
Not enough time in the day for all my crazy ideas, I'm not slow, I'm just pacing myself
cynr100

Postby Fallenae » Fri Jan 10, 2014 3:04 am

Try throttle calibration; turn on Tx, push throttle to full, connect battery, esc will beep a few times, push throttle to off, esc will beep again, working now?
Fallenae

Postby Rustypilot » Fri Jan 10, 2014 12:58 pm

Thanks guys will give that a go.
Rustypilot

Postby UAVman » Fri Jan 10, 2014 10:12 pm

Hi Rustypilot,
If you are new to RC aircraft, I can give you a couple of pointers on launching the AXN. If you are an experienced pilot please disregard this message.
UAVman

Postby Rustypilot » Mon Jan 20, 2014 9:11 am

That would be great. Hand launching I have heard is the way to go. Have heard they are a bit nose heavy. Thanks for the advice on set up. Got it going.
Rustypilot

Postby UAVman » Wed Jan 22, 2014 2:15 am

Hello rusty pilot,
By no means am I an expert on AXN flying, but I struggled a while trying to launch until I discovered the following:

The balance point (CG) for the AXN is right under the black fiberglass wing spar. You can go plus or minus from this location a little, but the wing spar is a good starting point. You can adjust the CG by selecting a 2200 mAh battery and moving it far forward towards the AXN nose until you achieve a good balance.

Since the AXN is basically a glider you can adjust the transmitter/servo trim by hand launching (gliding) onto grass (no throttle) to see what trim adjustments are required for aileron and elevator before trying a powered launch.

When you are ready for a powered launch, just throttle up to 50% and launch straight into the wind. A little up elevator prior launch may be helpful.
Once your plane starts to climb, keep it level with ailerons only, until you want to turn. Turn gently using ailerons and elevator. The rudder is not needed for beginner flights.

I made the mistake of trying to fly my AXN in a stiff breeze. It got away from me, so be cautious of any wind over 5 MPH and don't fly downwind of your location. Experienced pilots can fly well in a stiff breeze, but beginners cannot.

I plan to build another AXN soon to replace the one that got away.

Good luck flying! UAVman
UAVman

Postby cynr100 » Wed Jan 22, 2014 6:51 am

One little trait the AXN has that will catch all novices out is the tendency to nose dive under throttle application. If you are near the ground say 10m do not suddenly apply an increase in throttle, practise at height and you will see what I mean. A sudden increase from say 50 to 100% throttle will give you an instant nose down stance, gradual throttle increase is the answer allowing airflow over the wing to counteract the thrust line of the motor.
Not enough time in the day for all my crazy ideas, I'm not slow, I'm just pacing myself
cynr100

Return to For Beginners (if you're just getting started in RC)