Lipo Batteries

Here's an area where you can ask any kind of question about RC models and find a whole lot of useful information to help you get started.

Lipo Batteries

Postby watho46 » Tue Jan 21, 2014 1:36 am

Hi Guys
I know this topic his come up before, I have 5 storm 11.1 1100Mah batteries I have been charging them to full every time but flying about once a week, I have noticed that 3 of them are a little puffy ( after watching Bruce's video on batteries) Question- are they still good to use or should I disregard them or are they now a danger to use , get a lot of answers from the video but the finer points aren't covered ??
Cheers thanks for your help Watho46 :?
watho46

Re: Lipo Batteries

Postby cynr100 » Wed Jan 22, 2014 7:26 am

Most LipPos will puff at some stage some faster than others, the dollar value of your LiPos is generally not an indication of it's reliability or quality. How you treat them is most important.

Have the right C rating for your application, don't use a 20C when a 40C is required this will cause undue heat and the battery will become puffy.
Best not to let individual cells to discharge or be stored below 3.7v.
Do not overcharge, a 11.1v at 100% capacity will show as 12.1v, no problem there.
Try not to discharge below 20% capacity (my personal preference).
Batteries can also become puffy through not ensuring a balanced charge, check after each charge and discharge that the cells are equal or within 0.10 volts.

These simple disciplines will enhance the life of your batteries.

Getting that extra "minute" of flight time may not be worth it.

If your battery becomes deformed due to an impact it does not necessarily mean it can not be used. Smell is a good indicator, if it's sweet you have a problem and best to disarm the battery in a bucket of salty water.
Batteries can also become puffy through not ensuring a balanced charge, check after each charge and discharge that the cells are equal or within 0.10 volts.

Any damage to the casing eg holes, splitting, weeping from seams the battery should be disarmed in a bucket of salty water.

These things can burst into flames and/or explode so if in doubt disarm it before it burns your house down.
Not enough time in the day for all my crazy ideas, I'm not slow, I'm just pacing myself
cynr100

Re: Lipo Batteries

Postby watho46 » Fri Jan 24, 2014 2:18 am

Thanks cynr100
That's a great help and a bit of insurance

Cheers watho 46 :D
watho46

Return to For Beginners (if you're just getting started in RC)