Appropriate propeller balancing

Here's an area where you can ask any kind of question about RC models and find a whole lot of useful information to help you get started.

Appropriate propeller balancing

Postby tieman » Wed May 21, 2014 8:42 am

Hi.
There are many examples (techniques) in the web how to balance propeller. Some people suggest to add some tape, some to use a sandpaper, some to add hot glue, but all of them have a common thing. Usually this is done on the bottom side of the propeller. But I wonder. "working side" of the propeller is the bottom one and in my opinion this side should be left "untouched". Can someone confirm if I'm right or it does not matter?
tieman

Re: Appropriate propeller balancing

Postby mtesa » Wed May 21, 2014 8:10 pm

I'm using this method:
fix the prop on a axle which is suspended on two strong magnets taken from broken hard disk drive.
axle tips are sharpened into a cone, so only one of those fine and sharp tips is leaning on a magnet and the other is suspended in magnetic field of second one. This assured minimal friction.
then heavier blade is sanded with 800 grain sandpaper and finished with 2000 grain paper.
then I set blades 45 degrees position to see if there is some balance issues with prop center hub.
and sand down heavier side again.

Works every single time
mtesa

Postby tieman » Thu May 22, 2014 7:09 am

ok ... but on which side are you doing this? on the top of the propeller (where numbers are) or bottom? (maybe both of them?)
tieman

Postby mtesa » Sun May 25, 2014 8:23 pm

I've been told to always sand back side of prop, as it less disturbs the airfoil
mtesa

Return to For Beginners (if you're just getting started in RC)