Newbie with a vague plan

Here's an area where you can ask any kind of question about RC models and find a whole lot of useful information to help you get started.

Re: Newbie with a vague plan

Postby pwy » Tue Jul 26, 2011 9:37 pm

rogueqd wrote:
pwy wrote:Have you upgraded the firmware? Makes it really much more capable than the standard version.
No, I'm looking in to that, I'd like to find someone local who already has a programer. I could buy one but I'd probably only ever use it once.

I have upgraded mine and have a programmer. If that's local enough for you I'm happy to help.

However I found that after you have upgraded you will want to use the features of the new firmware and one of the main features is that you can do the programming on your PC and upload/download the models to the 9X. I soon got tired of using the programmer for this and bought one of the add-on boards from Smartieparts http://www.smartieparts.com/shop/index. ... cts_id=331. Makes things easier and with the built-in USB connector it is really convenient to use for firmware updates and programming.

P.
The difference between men and boys is the price of their toys!
pwy

Postby rogueqd » Mon Aug 08, 2011 2:29 am

Yeah, I can see the benefits in having my own programmer. It will let me compare all the different firmwares as well. I've gone and ordered one while they still have some in stock.

Bruce kept saying in his original review "It's only a 60 dollar radio." Which is one sense is true but...

Original radio from AUS warehouse $69.99
FrSky DIY kit + 7ch receiver $32.87
Simulator cable $6.72
9.9v LiFe battery $6.52
Green Backlight kit $4.99
Smartie Programmer board $39.28

Total $160.37

plus about $20 in shipping. I paid closer to $30 but I ordered most of the parts separately.

Not quite a $60 radio any more but still great value, each new receiver only costs me $18 for 7ch, or $19 for 8ch, and I can update the software myself.
rogueqd

Postby RCModelReviews » Mon Aug 08, 2011 8:19 am

True -- but I don't think $160 will even buy you a Spektrum DX5 with all its limitations will it?

As you say -- still great value!

I really feel sorry for the guys who roll up to the field with their expensive new Spektrum DX6, so proud that they've bought a really good radio with lots of features and "bullet-proof" DSM2 technology. Poor sods.
RCModelReviews.com, just the facts.
RCModelReviews

Postby bmsweb » Mon Aug 08, 2011 8:38 am

Hey I've got two Turnigy's only extras are the $8 Battery Mod and The Resistor Trainer Fix and I'm more than happy with them. So much so that I don't even bother with my old Futaba's (one of which cost me well over $1k). I also plan on buying a third radio with the FrSky Mod for a little extra range (FPV) . . . I'm betting I would have still spent less than a Spektrum DX6 on the combined total :D
bmsweb

Postby rogueqd » Thu Aug 11, 2011 3:37 pm

Don't get me wrong, I wasn't complaining. Even stock it's a great radio. I was more observing how every time I spend money on RC stuff I always end up buying "extras" that I never originally budgeted for, lol.
rogueqd

Postby bmsweb » Thu Aug 11, 2011 9:31 pm

rogueqd wrote:I was more observing how every time I spend money on RC stuff I always end up buying "extras" . . .

I think this has always been the case when it comes to most hobbies and RC in particular. You see I have a very different perspective. I stopped flying RC models about 20 years ago and only started back again because of my 12 year old son. Back in those days everything was so dam expensive. So now I look at how cheap a lot of this gear is an it blows my mind. Its a good time to be in this hobby :D
bmsweb

Postby rogueqd » Fri Aug 12, 2011 2:56 am

bmsweb wrote:
rogueqd wrote:Its a good time to be in this hobby :D
For sure! 20 years a go I and most of my mates would have loved to have an RC heli. The closest we ever got was stories about a guy a friend of a friend knew that had one. Now I have 2 planes, tried and sold an AR Drone, and have an xaircraft quad in the mail. :lol:
rogueqd

Postby Keith » Fri Aug 12, 2011 4:28 am

I drifted in and out over the years and it was probably due to the cost... I was also amazed how cheap it is now... There was no electric motors or foam back then.. I am coming around to the idea of using foam instead of balsa and think I like it... Just wish I still had the reactions and eyesight I had when I first started... To see me now you would not believe I was a marksman in the army...
If anyone is feeling a bit paranoid....BEHIND YOU....
Keith

Previous

Return to For Beginners (if you're just getting started in RC)