Hobby King is making good, maybe!

Had good or bad service from a supplier, online store or hobby shop? Share your experiences here.

Hobby King is making good, maybe!

Postby FlyingTiger » Tue Feb 07, 2012 10:35 pm

I have a new Bixler and when I got it all assembled and ready to go, one of the aileron servos went to full travel limit and stayed there, putting the right aileron in full up. I wrote to HK and their first response was that I have to sent the servo back for testing. Well, it's a $3 servo and mailing back would cost $38 so, as Bruce says, I was ready to toss it in the trash. But not without giving them a piece of my mind first. I went to their complaint forum on Hobbyking.com and posted my unhappiness. They wrote back that I should take a video of the offending servo in action (or lack thereof). So I posted a short vid of the servo going in one direction only and 2 days later I get an email that they are going to replace the servo for me. That was today, Feb. 7. I will update further if and when I get the replacement. But for now, it looks like they are being stand up folks and actually supporting their products.
Gear up and locked!
FlyingTiger

Re: Hobby King is making good, maybe!

Postby propfella » Thu Mar 29, 2012 4:11 am

Don't hold your breath for the same thing to happen next time. The odds are against you I reckon. Relish the moment and I hope it all works out OK for you. They reckon it's the bad ones you remember and the good ones you forget. I forget if I've had any good wins :-).
propfella

Postby FlyingTiger » Thu Mar 29, 2012 8:40 pm

propfella wrote:Don't hold your breath for the same thing to happen next time. The odds are against you I reckon. Relish the moment and I hope it all works out OK for you. They reckon it's the bad ones you remember and the good ones you forget. I forget if I've had any good wins :-).

Well, to tell the truth, I'm not holding my breath this time. I wrote the first post at the beginning of February and here it is the end of March. Still no new servo. I wrote HK customer service to remind them and they kindly wrote back that they have to get the replacement from the supplier before they can send it on to me. Two months ought to be sufficient time to get a servo, don't you think? Or they could walk out to the warehouse and pick up a $2 servo off the freakin' shelf and drop it in the mail. Quoting John Belushi from Saturday Night Live, "But Nooooooooooooo," they seem to be stringing me along until I give up, just like the health insurance companies here in the U.S. But that's a rant for another forum.
Gear up and locked!
FlyingTiger

Postby RCModelReviews » Fri Mar 30, 2012 9:14 am

I don't bother chasing HK to replace stuff that is broken or fails under warranty -- I figure that's just part of the risk you get when buying at the lowest price.

Fortunately I haven't had to throw much away (perhaps a few cheap servos -- maybe $20 worth at most). The amount I've saved far exceeds the amount I've lost to dud items.
RCModelReviews.com, just the facts.
RCModelReviews

Postby iflylilplanes » Sat Aug 18, 2012 2:43 pm

I have spent over $2,000.00 over the last 2 years with HobbyKing and I can't fault them, I must be one of the lucky ones, no problems with any of the products as yet. The secret to making HobbyKing work well is to buy as many things as you can each purchase that way the cost of the postage is spread over a lot of items, that way if you get a dud it didn't cost you the earth. I normally buy along with my major purchase a few extras, things like servos, a couple of bottles of CA, an extra receiver or 2 for my 9X, packs of hinges and horns, another ESC and motor you see what I mean, things I use all the time, now the $23 postage is spread across 12 plus items, one dud servo is only worth $2 or $3 more than it's retail price.
Many Thanks,

Dave W.

Dead Stick Glide Distance: Half the distance from the airplane to the nearest emergency landing field.
iflylilplanes

Postby phum » Sat Aug 18, 2012 11:30 pm

After many emails,I was informed that replacement parts would be supplied, but 12 months later nothing has arrived.
Don't get to excited
Peter
phum

Return to Where to buy (and not to buy)