any NZ'ers sent faulty goods back to hobbyking??

Had good or bad service from a supplier, online store or hobby shop? Share your experiences here.

any NZ'ers sent faulty goods back to hobbyking??

Postby S-rob » Tue Feb 15, 2011 7:08 am

Any there
Has anyone from NZ sent faulty transmitters back to HK ??
Just wondering what the freight cost was ,I need to figure out if it will be worth it.

Ive just received a Turnigy 9x thats DOA (dead)
Cheers
Steve
S-rob

Re: any NZ'ers sent faulty goods back to hobbyking??

Postby RCModelReviews » Tue Feb 15, 2011 7:49 am

How do you know it's dead?

I have found that the battery holders on these radios is often made from plastic that is too stiff and stops the cells from properly making contact with each other.

Try pushing the cells together (push from the negative/spring end) while in the holder.

If you've got a multi-meter, check that there is voltage on the wires that go to the radio itself (from the battery holder).

If it still doesn't work, I can take a look at it for you but it's really just not worth sending it back to HobbyKing.

Why not?

Well check the cost of sending a box that size/weight to HongKong using track & trace (ie: courier). It's at least half the price you've already paid for the radio itself -- and even then you'll be waiting an age to get a replacement (if past experience is anything to go by).

I've never actually seen or heard of a 9X that's truly *dead* straight out of the box -- it's usually something very simple. For example, take the back off and check that all the plugs are properly inserted into their matching sockets on the main circuit-board -- they're often not and that can make a radio seem "dead".
RCModelReviews.com, just the facts.
RCModelReviews

Postby kneedrag » Tue Feb 15, 2011 7:52 am

Yeah box that size to china would cost you in the region of $35-$55 NZ depending on the delivery option you picked.

But as Bruce has said the QA on these is not the greatest and it is usually a small thing that has been overlooked in assemble such as plugging the LCD in lose connection etc.
kneedrag

Postby S-rob » Tue Feb 15, 2011 8:21 am

Thanks for the replies. Ive some basic fault tracing skills...... & 6 multimeters :lol:
I just needed to decide to return or attempt a repair myself.

I'll post an update after I get time to have a crack at it. At worst & can sell it as- is on trademe, will be worth something with the reciever
Cheers
Steve

update:
Its a faulty batt holder, thanks for the advice Bruce. Spot on.
I guess i need to replace that with someting reliable. Would something from Jaycar be OK ??
S-rob

Postby RCModelReviews » Tue Feb 15, 2011 6:27 pm

I'm not a fan of those 8-cell battery holders (too much risk of dodgy contacts) so your best option would be to buy or make a soldered/welded 8-cell NiMH pack, a lipo pack or, if you've got some basic skills, the US$8 two-cell Li-Ion modification I've published.
RCModelReviews

Postby desirepower016 » Thu Sep 15, 2011 8:36 am

Has anyone from NZ sent faulty transmitters back to HK ??
Just wondering what the freight cost was
Last edited by desirepower016 on Fri Nov 11, 2011 4:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
desirepower016

Postby RCModelReviews » Thu Sep 15, 2011 10:33 pm

What's wrong with your transmitter?
RCModelReviews

Postby rogueqd » Fri Sep 16, 2011 12:54 pm

RCModelReviews wrote:I'm not a fan of those 8-cell battery holders (too much risk of dodgy contacts)

I strongly agree with Bruce here. I was playing with the mixes on my 9x when I first got it, and it just switched off suddenly while I was playing with it. Turned out it was the batteries losing contact, the plastic holder is stronger than the springs, but what if it had happened when I was flying instead of playing with mixes? :o
rogueqd

Return to Where to buy (and not to buy)