Prevew: Turnigy 9X version 2

Discussion on the reviews of 2.4GHz radios, modules and receivers that have appeared on RCModelReviews..com

Re: Prevew: Turnigy 9X version 2

Postby huha » Thu Jun 24, 2010 12:39 pm

szeker wrote:Hi,

I think this "mode 1" display - what you noted - is really a SW bug, but the transmitter tries to say "model 1" and not "mode 1".
You can test it easily by setting e.g. model 6 and than you will see "mode 6" on the screen. Funny...

Best Regards,
Szeker.

you're right.. wanna hear something dumb? My first model is mode2, so i made another model and made it mode1.. and it said "mode 2" so I assumed.. that mode1 and mode2 were reversed. Yeah i'm that stupid lol.
huha

Postby RCModelReviews » Thu Jun 24, 2010 10:13 pm

huha wrote:you're right.. wanna hear something dumb? My first model is mode2, so i made another model and made it mode1.. and it said "mode 2" so I assumed.. that mode1 and mode2 were reversed. Yeah i'm that stupid lol.

You're not stupid - it's just that the 9X really should come with some form of manual or user's guide -- which is why I'm busy writing one.
RCModelReviews.com, just the facts.
RCModelReviews

Postby jaav » Fri Jun 25, 2010 3:29 pm

This TX looks the same as the Ergule 9, I bought 3 months ago from R2 hobbies due to the fact HK had nill stock.

Ive had 2 planes fitted with the RXs (have a sat RX as well) Had one glitch doing a final that crashed the plane. I was sure that the Bind LED was dead, Cycled the power and it still didnt bind. When I got home all was well.I have used it every weekend so far and had no problem. So I dont know if it was a power problem or a glitch in the RX.
Only using it in the SPADs untill it proves itself... The Acrowat on a pipe and the 1.6m P 47 will keep the old TX till then.
My TX has both antennas.
jaav

Postby RaWe » Mon Jun 28, 2010 1:16 pm

Hi,

I need a little help,

Some background. I own a brand new Eurgle 9X bought from R2hobbies.com in 16 March 2010. I also bought an extra Eurgle 9Ch receiver and an a Hobby King 2.4Ghz Receiver 6Ch (in the reviews reported to be compatible with earlier FlySky Eurgle,Turnigy's.)

I have very basic tools (only a soldering iron), and no background in electronics/programming. I have read (many times over) all the posts regarding improvements for this radio in RCgroups as well as in the German site. As I doubt in my understanding and ability to implement all the improvemnents, I am only cautiously optimistic about a radio with more than the usual bugs. However I do need some of these improvements for some of my more problematic platforms intended for FPV for eg. Flap/Elevator mixing.

My radio was sent back to R2hobbies.com due to some trim tab anomalies discovered a few weeks after I received it.
Since then HobbyKing have announced their Turnigy V2 "with firmware and mixing issues resolved" and R2hobbies has also announced their Eurgle V2 but with no description of the changes.

Presently I am negotiating with the R2hobbies for a refund with a vaque intention of switching to the Turnigy V2... but am rather confused because of what I've read about incompatibilities of the new release Radios with certain receivers and earlier modules.
So I'm now torn between going through with the refund from R2hobbies for a new HK Turnigy V2 (hopefully with the features I need, working) but risking that all my new unused receivers will be redundant, or sticking with an Eurgle V2 exchange (requring some DIY improvements) from R2hobbies.com also with no idea about their compatibility with my receivers on hand...

Any advise would be much appreciated...

RaWe
RaWe

Postby RCModelReviews » Mon Jun 28, 2010 9:55 pm

The new V2 module is incompatible with the older V1 receivers. The new one is FHSS the old one is DSSS so they don't work together.

Given that the Turnigy receivers are so cheap (when you can get them) that's probably not a big deal.

I've yet to flight-test the V2 so can't comment on the range or just how solid the link is at distance now that they've ditched the satellite receivers.

The new V2 is a little easier to reflash with new software due to some changes they've made to the circuit board.
RCModelReviews

Postby Andrej » Tue Jun 29, 2010 10:19 am

What was the range of the old V1 DSSS system ?

I ordered Eurgle 9X from R2Hobbies (mainly because i don't have time for HK to restock and i'm not that bothered by the old antenna)
Anyway, i want to use it for FPV, that's why the range is important.
I'm thinking to upgrade it with a better JR module, so what would you suggest, which is the best range JR module (compatible with Eurgle 9X) ?
Andrej

Postby RCModelReviews » Tue Jun 29, 2010 10:45 pm

Andrej wrote:What was the range of the old V1 DSSS system ?

I consider the original system to be "mid-range".

I was able to get over 800m on the ground (with the model elevated by 1m) but noticed that in another test (with the model sitting right on the ground) range was somewhat less than that -- whereas other systems I've tested give a full 800m (the limit of our sealed runway) regardless of their elevation.

Despite this, I've never been able to fly the V1 "out of range" in a model, despite flying to the limits of visibility.

If you're planning to use this for FPV then you'll need a 900MHz or 5.8GHz video system.

If you want to upgrade to a better module then the (about to be released) telemetry-capable version of the FrSky would be something worth considering. You can then use your RC gear to handle the GPS and other information you might want. Doing it this way means that even if you lose the video link you'll still have the OSD information available and you should be able to fly back "on instruments".
RCModelReviews

Postby Andrej » Wed Jun 30, 2010 12:56 am

Yes i do have a 900MHz video system, i hope it won't interfere...
I'm gonna get rid of the carbon fiber frame too, to get better quality and reliability.
You can see here http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uDVQExQOqpE that i completely loose the video signal at times. But maybe it's just multipathing or something like that, cause the location where i'm at (on the balcony) is far from ideal. (Before watching the video o strongly recommend you lower the volume :))

RCModelReviews wrote:If you want to upgrade to a better module then the (about to be released) telemetry-capable version of the FrSky would be something worth considering

Hmm interesting thing... For a plane it might work, but for a Heli i don't think so (flying blind that is) :D

So FrSky ACCST SYSTEM is the best?
Andrej

Postby RCModelReviews » Wed Jun 30, 2010 1:51 am

Andrej wrote:
RCModelReviews wrote:If you want to upgrade to a better module then the (about to be released) telemetry-capable version of the FrSky would be something worth considering

Hmm interesting thing... For a plane it might work, but for a Heli i don't think so (flying blind that is) :D

You could always fit one of those stability systems (either infra-red or gyro-based). They'll allow you to just focus on direction an height without worrying about keeping the heli in the air, if you lose your video link.
So FrSky ACCST SYSTEM is the best?

It is as good as Futaba FASST and Hitec's AFHSS system. Very resistant to interference, a good low reboot voltage and very well priced.

There's a review on the RCModelReviews.com website. The FrSky came first-equal with the Hitec in my 2.4GHz shootout.
RCModelReviews

Postby DagKS » Wed Jun 30, 2010 3:41 pm

27062010300a.jpg
Turnegy receiver and Hextronic HX5010 servos
27062010300a.jpg (233.07 KiB) Viewed 27364 times
27062010301a.jpg
Our airfield at Odda, Norway.
27062010301a.jpg (174.49 KiB) Viewed 27364 times

I've used the new Turnegy Tx/Rx along with Hextronic HX5010 servos. I've used the servos for a long time and never had a problem. I have had two flights and a lot of ground testing with the new Tx/Rx and haven't noticed any glitching.

DagKS
DagKS

PreviousNext

Return to 2.4GHz radios/modules/receivers