Prevew: Turnigy 9X version 2

Discussion on the reviews of 2.4GHz radios, modules and receivers that have appeared on RCModelReviews..com

Re: Prevew: Turnigy 9X version 2

Postby jaime » Tue Apr 05, 2011 8:13 am

Hi Bruce. I was just looking through this thread and read about the usb interface. Well, I just did this on my radio (Flysky v1) with the ebay programmer and all I need is a usb cable in order to flash it. I'm no expert on anything, but I thought I show this to you guys since this worked out fine for me. Here's the post on rcg and you can also click on my profile name there to see the pictures of this as well. My profile there is efx. This is the thread were I started asking the questions and I also have some videos there too. I have also purchased the FrSky module/receiver with telemetry on your recommendations and can't wait to see your lcd project.
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthre ... 5&page=336

RCModelReviews wrote:Yes, there' ll soon be a DIY support page on the RCModelReviews website where I will provide info on those other software options and may even start work on my own.

I'd like to integrate the FrSky 2-way system into the 9X radio and use the 9X's LCD for displaying that info.

Of course it all depends on how much of the little atmel processor's resources are free as to whether that can be easily achieved. I'd also like to make an inbuilt USB interface so that the radio could be more easily reflashed or programmed from a laptop or desktop.

Given the low price of these radios, it may well be easier to create Heli-firmware and fixed-wing firmware as separate options -- thus allowing each to offer more comprehensive features.

There's a lot of potential with this radio for those who want to write their own code.
jaime

Postby FlyingTiger » Thu Apr 28, 2011 2:25 pm

Hey guys, I'm new here and I have a question about this radio. I have been waiting forever for HobbyKing to get these in stock and I found a FlySky version at Leadershobby.com (http://www.leaderhobby.com/product.asp?ID=9394001220239). This appears to be an earlier version with the sectioned antenna still in place. Will the mod using the Frsky DIY module still work on this radio? And, should I assume it has older firmware? If I can make the mods to this radio I'll go ahead and get it rather than wait for HobbyKing to restock.

Thanks
Gear up and locked!
FlyingTiger

Postby kaptain_zero » Fri Apr 29, 2011 3:36 am

Flyingtiger,

For the record, if you wish to purchase one of the Turnigy branded units, you simply need to place your order for one. They will most likely *never* be "in stock" for immediate purchase. I've purchased two of them in the last 2 months and neither took more than 2 weeks to become available to me. When you place an order for a popular item at HK, you get in the queue and are assigned the next available unit when it arrives in stock. The problem is, each shipment they get in, is already spoken for in pre-purchases. If you wait for it to be available in stock for sale, before making your purchase, you may have to wait a very long time.

Regards

Christian
"I'd like to live as a poor man with lots of money."
-- Pablo Picasso
kaptain_zero

Postby FlyingTiger » Fri Apr 29, 2011 2:08 pm

Thanks for the reply Kaptain Zero. I'm getting ready to pull out my credit card now. One last question though. What is the general consensus on the quality of these units? In other words, what are the odds of me getting a paper weight instead of a working radio? I know they are inexpensive (cheap) but still, I hate just throwing away money.

Thanks
Gear up and locked!
FlyingTiger

Postby kaptain_zero » Fri Apr 29, 2011 9:31 pm

Unfortunately, the odds mean nothing if you get a working unit.... same deal if you get a dud.....<sigh>. I have not heard of any major issues with bad units being shipped, but then again, I have heard of one or two that apparently were not in good working order when they arrived. So in the end, it's a gamble. Only you can decide if the benefits outweigh the risks and if you are prepared to take your lumps if you happen to be unlucky. Me, I'm fairly good at fixing electronic stuff... not in Bruce's league mind you, but I do hang out with some retired techs who help point me in a useful direction if I should have a problem with something.

I looked at it this way, I was not prepared to spend $300 - $400+ on a radio.... and I like tinkering with stuff such as open source software, so when I found out that the 9X could be upgraded to optional firmware, I went for it. If I wasn't handy with electronics, didn't have any friends who could help me out in a pinch and money was really tight, I would have opted for a used, brand name radio locally that I could see working. I could have had a gently used Spectrum rig for about the amount I sunk into the 9X with all the bits I've added to it but that wouldn't fulfill my need for tinkering. :mrgreen:

Just remember, the 9x is a great radio and it sells for $60. Other radios can sell for $600 or more. The 9x is NOT a $600 radio being sold for $60, it is just a very capable $60 radio that can be modified by the owner without risking too much money.

I hope this helps.

Regards

Christian aka

Kaptain "You pays your money and you takes your choice" Zero
-- Pablo Picasso
kaptain_zero

Postby FlyingTiger » Thu May 05, 2011 2:28 pm

I placed my order for the 9x and now I will just wait patiently (or more likely, impatiently) for the shipment to arrive in the U.S. I am curious about the mod using the FrSky DIY kit and their receivers. Bruce says the range is better and you get the ability to program in a fail-safe, but I wonder if I would benefit from this as I only plan to fly foamies in parks and soccer fields. Would this upgrade be worthwhile since the receivers are much more expensive? Better is nice but I just hate to spend money I don't have to. I'd rather put the money towards another motor and foam to make another plane.
Gear up and locked!
FlyingTiger

Postby kaptain_zero » Thu May 05, 2011 9:10 pm

FlyingTiger wrote: Bruce says the range is better and you get the ability to program in a fail-safe, but I wonder if I would benefit from this as I only plan to fly foamies in parks and soccer fields. Would this upgrade be worthwhile since the receivers are much more expensive?

I think you will find the stock 8CH receiver for the 9X to be a bit big/heavy for foamies, particularly small ones. You can apparently bind a 6 channel and one smaller one (three channel I think) to this TX but it's not officially supported. For the small cost of conversion, I added the basic FrSky DIY kit to my 9X radios and now enjoy the use of the much smaller and lighter receivers. The little 4 channel FrSky is downright tiny and the range is plenty good for small foamies (~500m).

Fail safe? For me, even a foamy could hurt someone if it flies into someones face under full throttle, particularly a small child. With my FrSky system programed, simply turning off the transmitter would cause my foamie to go into fail safe and spiral gently towards the ground with the motor shut off. I'm a lousy pilot and I'm comforted by this ability to hit the "panic button" and reduce any damage to a minimum if I loose control....

Yes, it does add to the cost, but it also adds capability and I personally found the change worth the cost, but I also don't own 200 models that I like to fly.... I'll be happy when my hanger contains 4 or 5 planes and the cost of 5 receivers isn't that high.

Regards

Kaptain "Love'm, crash'm and leave'm " Zero
-- Pablo Picasso
kaptain_zero

Postby TIiams » Sat Apr 21, 2012 5:08 am

I have one and if you want to order one disable java then go to hk and it will let you back order it if there out of stock I back ordered mine from the usa warehouse it toke just under 30 days to get it, I was inpatient and ordered a flysky from another china place. It is what I use now, but I got a old board that had the stk spot on the wrong place so I had to solder a wire from the smarts board to the stk spot by the resistor, and I am old and cant see well but I was able to do it. Both units work good just do the buddy box fix and I am running 9x on both of my units, plan on upgrading to frsky telmerty system as soon as I can I like the thought of fail safe.
TIiams

Programming Turnigy 9x for running light control?

Postby VirginiaJim » Sat Apr 21, 2012 4:35 pm

Guys:

I'm having a heck of a time trying to program my Turnigy 9x to control my plane's running lights.

I have a Dynam T-28 that has both retractable gear (controlled on ch5) and flaps (to be controlled on ch6), and I purchased the HK multi-remote receiver operated on/off switch (HK# M_Fswitch)

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/__12615__Multi_Remote_Receiver_operated_on_off_Switch_.html

so I could control regular LED lights, fiber optic lights, and some separate landing lights, but I can't figure out how to program the Turnigy 9x ch7 to cycle the multiswitch on and off.

Can anyone help? :oops:

VJ
Viva la old farts! Flying when I die!
VirginiaJim

Postby BillGriffiths100 » Sat Apr 21, 2012 6:47 pm

If you have the unmodified 9x page 41 of the Eurgle Manual tells you how to define outputs on channels 5-9
under the heading aux channels, (the output of the switch must be connected to the output channel via programming)
download manual from :
http://www.r2hobbies.com/manuals/rcps61207.pdf
Compromising with out of control government is like living with a lion, sooner or later the bloody thing will eat you .

You accept the tyranny of the state when it's not being applied to you, when it is: it's too late.
BillGriffiths100

Previous

Return to 2.4GHz radios/modules/receivers