Prevew: Turnigy 9X version 2

Discussion on the reviews of 2.4GHz radios, modules and receivers that have appeared on RCModelReviews..com

Re: Prevew: Turnigy 9X version 2

Postby Bulldoxx » Tue Jun 22, 2010 9:27 am

...awaiting your report with bated breath...

Thank you in adavance for your efforts.

Ordered my V2 last week, since 4 days on its way, but still no tracking *sigh* and still 3 Rx in Backorder.
Bulldoxx

Postby brunors » Tue Jun 22, 2010 10:48 am

IT ARRIVEDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDD! :P

It is my first 2.4 system.
I have doubts. Somebody help?
1 - How to install the receiver antenna? Can I install it inside the fuselage?
2 - Is it possible to use PCM in this turnigy 2.4 system? When I have selected that modulation, is does not works!
brunors

Postby johnkim100530 » Tue Jun 22, 2010 8:57 pm

RCModelReviews wrote:I've just finished my initial testing of the Turnigy 9X V2 and I can advise that it is now a FHSS system that uses the entire band (in 16 evenly spaced channels).

There are good and bad things to report -- the full review (on the web and in video) should be up tomorrow.

I cannot wait to read your full review.

Please clarify if V2 is compatible with V1 and other brands such as iMAX, HobbyKing receivers.
johnkim100530

Postby RCModelReviews » Tue Jun 22, 2010 9:27 pm

brunors wrote:1 - How to install the receiver antenna? Can I install it inside the fuselage?

Yes, unless you have a carbon-fiber fuselage you can install the antenna inside. Balsa wood, plastic, foam and fiberglass have little or no effect on 2.4GHz radio signals.

Just make sure you keep the active part of the antenna (the bit in the red heat-shrink) as far away as possible from things like servos, wires, metal pushrods etc. If you can, try to orient it so that it's close to vertical. Taping it to the inside of the fuselage is fine.

2 - Is it possible to use PCM in this turnigy 2.4 system? When I have selected that modulation, is does not works!

The PCM setting is a legacy from the fact that this was initially a 35MHz/72MHz radio that also came with a PCM receiver. When using 2.4GHz PCM won't work (as you've discovered).
RCModelReviews.com, just the facts.
RCModelReviews

Postby szeker » Tue Jun 22, 2010 10:28 pm

Hello All,

I'm happy as I also received my Turnigy 9X V2 yesterday!
The transmitter and the receiver looks and feels quite good especially if I check the bill...
Not the same quality of materials and finishing like big brands, but quite OK.

BUT!!!

It is still hard to understand, why they can not spend just a few more seconds to test the equipments before leaving the production line!

My transmitter was doing exactly nothing after first time switching it on. Also after switching it on for second time...
There was only some annoying beep, but not because of the usual root cause - wrong state of switches during switching on the device, but simply because the soldering of the uC was so bad.
After opening the housing, it was obvious for me, that some pins of the controller was not contacting correctly to the pads, so I had to re-solder the controller to make the transmitter work.
Additionally, I had to adjust the flat cable of the LCD with correct positioning (not like it was before).

Finally, I'm happy that it seems works fine!

I'm also waiting for the full review very much!
Thank you for all your effort you put into those nice reviews and articles!
szeker

Postby thos » Wed Jun 23, 2010 12:21 am

Its interesting that your radio came not operating at all. In the sales blurb about the Turnigy 9X V2 HK says that they update to newest and latest software that even the OEM don't have. I would have thougtht if you reflashed software one would have to boot up transmitter to test.
thos

Postby RCModelReviews » Wed Jun 23, 2010 1:19 am

Perhaps not -- I suspect (given the price and the *cost* that testing represents) they just flash-em and stash-em (in the box). Having to actually *test* them would add an extra $5 to each unit.

But who wouldn't prefer to pay $5 if it meant the difference between getting one that works and one that doesn't?

As you'll see in my review (just up), the construction of the 9X has improved but it's still not on a par with brand-name radios.
RCModelReviews.com, just the facts.
RCModelReviews

Postby aussiepage » Wed Jun 23, 2010 12:37 pm

Hi,

Have just received Turnigy 9X version 2 and can confirm that the PPM signals are not transmitted out of the trainer port while module is plugged in.
Investigated and confirm that in trainer mode (cord plugged in with power switch off) no power is supplied to the transmitter module (good) BUT the PPM signal to the module is still driven (bad). This probably loads the PPM signal and signal levels are too low for logic driving PPM signal to trainer port.

I will look at fix and post. Possibly relay to isolate PPM signal from the module when module is not powered.

Obviously removing module with internal antenna soldered in place is an issue.

Also note that channel mapping follows Futaba standard (throttle on channel 3) so standard radio cannot be used as a trainer with JR radio. Am looking for new firmware to allow configuration of radio channels.
aussiepage

Postby huha » Wed Jun 23, 2010 5:32 pm

Andrej wrote:
You can try the newest version of this project code.google.com/p/th9x
Before you flash you have to do a backup of the original binary, so if anything goes wrong you can flash the original back.

Here are the instructions.
I have not tried anything yet, but i will when i receive my Eurgle V1.

thanks to both

is there a programmer for USB that cost less than 30EUR? that sounds much for this board im surprised, it's not far from the price of the 9X. I don't have a parallel port. From germany would be good (i saw all your links are german)

i guess it would be nice if the same kind of shop would sell 2 plugs (one for the radio one to plug the programmer in ..)

thanks
huha

Postby szeker » Wed Jun 23, 2010 9:46 pm

Hi,

I think this "mode 1" display - what you noted - is really a SW bug, but the transmitter tries to say "model 1" and not "mode 1".
You can test it easily by setting e.g. model 6 and than you will see "mode 6" on the screen. Funny...

Best Regards,
Szeker.

huha wrote:Hi,
I received the "v2" without the 2.4ghz module and antenna too. Even thus I ordered the one with module and antenna.. might even be a v1 I wouldn't know.
It has bugs like saying "mode 1" when i have mode 2 selected, or beeping and not saving when I go into the main menu directly at startup.

I am wondering about the alternative firmwares, which one is "the best" (most complete/easy or just a subjective best) and how dangerous is it to use it? Can it "brick" the radio or it's always recoverable?
How do you really make the connector? Articles are not very accurate and it seems that you need to know what you're doing beforehand.. I can solder and stuff but i've no experience into hacking the radio and connectors (I found that at best but.. it doesnt tell what you connect on the PC side: http://sourceforge.net/apps/mediawiki/r ... nstall_ISP)

Thanks
szeker

PreviousNext

Return to 2.4GHz radios/modules/receivers