Orange Receiver from HK, any good? tested?

Discussion on the reviews of 2.4GHz radios, modules and receivers that have appeared on RCModelReviews..com

Orange Receiver from HK, any good? tested?

Postby GizmoMadMax » Fri Mar 16, 2012 5:35 am

Has anyone done a review and tested the orange receivers?
Both the mini jst & JR/standard connector versions?

thank you
GizmoMadMax

Re: Orange Receiver from HK, any good? tested?

Postby RCModelReviews » Fri Mar 16, 2012 6:44 am

Are you talking about the FASST compatible or the DSM2 ones?
RCModelReviews.com, just the facts.
RCModelReviews

Postby PJL » Tue Mar 20, 2012 7:55 pm

Hello GizmoMadMax,

some are good and some are not. At least that is the case when we are talking about the DSM2-receivers. I performed an extensive reliability test of these receivers and posted the results on youtube. Please search for "Reliability test of Orange DSM2 receivers" or look at

http://youtu.be/58_ZQ-k2npM

I did not find a real reason for the differences in performance. If you can add something to this test, be welcome. I would also appreciate a test of the Orange receivers or at least comments to the test results by RCModelReviews.

In any case, be sure you test the performance before putting anything in the air with them.

Best regards,

Peter
PJL

Postby BillGriffiths100 » Wed Mar 21, 2012 10:10 am

Hi Peter,
Nice tests.
My most likely guess would be the firmware, the occasional error in reading the program is not detected allowing it to jump out of program, a reliable quickly acting watchdog reset is especially essential in applications like these.
The extra overhead in program length to rapidly correct this means that a faster higher throughput better quality processor is required.
A compromise for cheapness is likely to be a slower processor and shoehorned in software to use less memory and lower specification.
It would be interesting to see what speeds the processors in the good and bad receivers run at.
Regards,
Bill
Compromising with out of control government is like living with a lion, sooner or later the bloody thing will eat you .

You accept the tyranny of the state when it's not being applied to you, when it is: it's too late.
BillGriffiths100

Postby PJL » Fri Mar 23, 2012 7:30 am

Hi Bill,

thanks for your reply. That seems to be a plausible explanation.

Could it also be that the analog components on the receiver board are of lower quality/accuracy? Or does that have no effect in a digital receiver?

Regards,

Peter
PJL

Postby BillGriffiths100 » Fri Mar 23, 2012 10:16 am

Hi Peter,
Analogue components tend to fail consistently once they've gone they've gone. (To paraphrase an advertisement).
Their degradation is usually permanent leading to consistent rather than intermittent failure, although initial signs may be intermittent for a time the failure usually hardens up fairly quickly.
Failure also tends to be at the very beginning of the components life or after a considerable time, the so called bathtub graph of failure.
Although as you say the components may be of poor quality hastening the overall speed of onset of failure.
The DSM2 system can be prone to interference if the two channels chosen by the software at start-up are very close (re: Bruce's video about DSM2).
But it's really difficult to detect the presence of transitory interference on 2.4 GHz without expensive exotic equipment. So interference can not be eliminated as a suspect!
My own crash with DSM2 was due to an ESC failure brownout resulting in a landing in a tree top as I regained partial control.
Running up the motor on the ground after recovery resulted in an impressive ESC explosion!
I always use an independent switching BEC now and advocate them to everyone.
I have experienced some weird glitches and lockouts on DSM2 with the standard RX's but I think they were probably brownouts due to using the ESC's regulators.
Interesting that the 35 Meg gear worked so faultlessly, probably because it's trendy to go 2.4 and the band is relatively clear now, we should probably still use it for internal combustion engines.
Rgds,
Bill
Compromising with out of control government is like living with a lion, sooner or later the bloody thing will eat you .

You accept the tyranny of the state when it's not being applied to you, when it is: it's too late.
BillGriffiths100

Postby albsurfer » Tue Jan 22, 2013 7:27 pm

I used 2 of the older 6ch single antenna version rxrs for over a year without any problems. One I used just in park flyer planes. the other I used in a .40 sized nitro sport plane and didn't have any problems. My regular planes are flown to about 750' abreast of the field to 400' altitude. I also fly a pattern about 1100' long. I never had an interference or control loss once.
albsurfer

Postby Whitneyodriguez » Mon Mar 27, 2023 12:09 pm

When converting an EPS file to SVG, it's important to keep in mind that some details might be lost in eps to svg. This is because EPS files can use more complex shapes and gradients than SVG files, which use a simpler vector format.
Whitneyodriguez

Postby Joannarooks » Wed Aug 16, 2023 4:06 pm

Impressed by the professionalism of their stump grinding service website in Moreno Valley, CA. They used advanced equipment to grind down the stumps effectively, and the cleanup was thorough. My property looks much neater now.
Joannarooks

Next

Return to 2.4GHz radios/modules/receivers