Turnigy 9x Firmware

Discussion on the reviews of 2.4GHz radios, modules and receivers that have appeared on RCModelReviews..com

Turnigy 9x Firmware

Postby StrikeEagleIII » Fri Mar 23, 2012 2:45 pm

I have a Turnigy 9x and right now fly primarily airplanes and am looking at upgrading the firmware on it (primarily so I can do the $8 battery upgrade and not have to worry about soldering in the extra resistor--although I have to agree the stock FW is rather lacking and there are numerous other reasons to upgrade.) It seems the most popular one is ER9x. Are there any reasons I would NOT want to load that FW? Are there better ones?

As of now the mods I'm looking at doing are the $8 battery upgrade, installing the smartypants programmer and back-light, and ER9x FW. It also looks like the FrSky w/telemetry is a worthwhile upgrade (does ER9x support that?) Thoughts? Any other upgrades to consider?

Thanks
StrikeEagleIII

Re: Turnigy 9x Firmware

Postby BillGriffiths100 » Fri Mar 23, 2012 3:42 pm

If you browse this forum you will find a lot of information about the firmware upgrade from various contributors.
Use the search and advanced search for ER9X.
Compromising with out of control government is like living with a lion, sooner or later the bloody thing will eat you .

You accept the tyranny of the state when it's not being applied to you, when it is: it's too late.
BillGriffiths100

Postby kaptain_zero » Fri Mar 23, 2012 8:13 pm

The ER9X forums would be the prime source for information.... You can find it here: http://goo.gl/2Q2mz

As for the $8 battery mod, I'd humbly suggest the Hobby King LiFe pack. It's a good fit, plenty of run time and it's only $6.89 but shipping is extra of course. You can find the battery here: http://goo.gl/qwBmd

Regards

Christian
"I'd like to live as a poor man with lots of money."
-- Pablo Picasso
kaptain_zero

Postby Keith » Sat Mar 24, 2012 12:17 am

Smartieparts board is a good move but do not expect too much from the backlight, it's quite dim. I went back to the HK one, much better, white is best IMHO....
If anyone is feeling a bit paranoid....BEHIND YOU....
Keith

Postby kaptain_zero » Sat Mar 24, 2012 1:05 am

There's two sides to the back light issue. If you want it on all the time and be able to see it in daylight, sure, go the HK route... If you want to do night flying, you'll want to see the screen as well, but you don't want it so bright that it ruins your night vision, so the SP version would be great. I agree, the SmartieParts version is quite dim, but the minute my radio gets into such a low level of light that it gets hard to read, the SP version brightens it up plenty for readability. Both are good, it just depends on what you want the light for.

Me.... I've got one of the beta Ersky9x boards on the way and there's that newfangled transflective LCD that can be hooked up to it, only it's out of stock at Digi-Key at the moment. :evil:

Regards

Christian
"I'd like to live as a poor man with lots of money."
-- Pablo Picasso
kaptain_zero

Postby RCModelReviews » Sat Mar 24, 2012 7:55 pm

It's illegal to fly at night in NZ (unless you're in a courtyard surrounded by buildings and then you are not allowed to exceed the height of the buildings themselves) so I have no need for a backlight and I've never found the 9X display hard to read under normal lighting conditions (unlike my expensive JR9XII/9303 which is *awful*).
RCModelReviews.com, just the facts.
RCModelReviews

Postby Malcurin » Tue May 22, 2012 7:50 am

Smarty pants board will run you $45 american + postage, or if your handy with a soldering iron or know someone who is, the cheapest option is to do the mod yourself cost is approx $10 nz for the parts and some time to install it the hobbyking back light is good at $5 american + postage also, I,m using ER9X, there is also Open9x, I got someone to Mod it for me they placed the 10 pin plug behind my turnigy sticker on the front of the case so its hidden by the sticker till i need to use it, and if the stick fails, just some double sided tape to get it back on, there is also a resister Mod for the backlight so you can turn the Hobbyking back light on and off and have it time out, (and I think adjust the brightness also) im waiting on mine to come from Hobbyking then I'm doing this Mod the people that write Open9x and Er9x are at [url]9xforums.com[/url] and there is everything there to help you choose which firmware is the best for you, also a link to the wiki there for all the Mods and how to do them
Turnigy 9x with ER9X and back light FrSky DHT 8ch DIY, FLD-02 Telemetry Display Screen
AXN with 6x4 prop .... AWESOME!!!!!!!
Canterbury Sailplanes Jazz 60 and Eraser 60
Dyna-flight Butterfly ( under construction )
Malcurin

Postby mpjf01 » Thu Jul 19, 2012 4:41 am

I have a 9x V2 and have installed the FRSKY DIY module and the HK backlight - the former because the MAAA has yet to approve the standard 9x module.

I want to use the radio for a 2m 5ch electric glider where, in competition, there is a limited motor run followed by a glide and spot landing.

I am using the Turnigy firmware that came with the TX. I have had a few difficulties getting the functions that I want to use to work and have spent some time searching this and other forums for help. I often read posts from people who recommend ditching the Turnigy firmware and replacing it by one or other of the freeware variants. ER9x seems to be the one most commonly recommended. I had a look at the manual for this version. It seems from this that the methodology was to produce firmware with only the basic functionality built in and lots of flexibility - leaving it to the end user to take advantage of this flexibility and to program the firmware to do whatever is required. There are a couple of examples of how to go about this programming. There does not appear (remember I have only basic knowledge of this from the manual) to be pre-programmed functions for butterfly(crow) or the offsets, controls and mixers used in F3B launch, speed and distance as is the case with the stock firmware. And many others besides.

My question here is - what are the advantages of the freeware firmware for users who just want to program a set of basic functions relating to model aircraft and who don't want to have to learn the intricacies of using firmware that does not appear to have menu options? Should I change from the standard firmware or not?
mpjf01

Postby cynr100 » Thu Jul 19, 2012 4:54 am

IMHO, make the change. May not be usefull to you now but in the future................. :?:

Plus the 9xforums have excellent members, if you have a problem programming a sequence or setting drop it on the forums they love this sort of stuff. I'm using er9x and one of the best things is that you can do your programming/setup on a PC and run a simulation to check.
I use the SmartieParts board (now$35+P).

Dennis
Not enough time in the day for all my crazy ideas, I'm not slow, I'm just pacing myself
cynr100

Postby pldb64 » Thu Jul 19, 2012 6:23 am

Hi Mpjf01,

We had a very similar discussion to your question about 2 or 3 weeks ago where a number of people offered their opinions as to what was good about moving to ER9X and/or Open9x.

I did that move from the outset (5 months ago) and have found it very easy to use - particularly the fact that you can check any/all of your changes on the PC before you commit them to the Tx. That also allows me to back/restore any of the configs/mixes i've found useful.

To further the point Dennis has also made above - the 9xforums not only has excellent and knowledgable people, they also have a section where people have made available a huge number of mixes for any requirement you care to ask about. I think its called the template library. As its all open source, people give their ideas freely and back them up with worked examples.

If you find you have a particular requirement for a mix that isn't already in the library - you'll get people giving you all manner of suggestions as to how to make it work. Some very inventive people out there!
Turnigy 9x, FrSky 2-Way/Telemetry DHT DIY, Smartieparts BRD, ER9x FW
AXN-Floater (stock esc, motor & prop, HK orange 9g servos)
pldb64

Next

Return to 2.4GHz radios/modules/receivers