Review: Turnigy 9X version 2 (FHSS).

Discussion on the reviews of 2.4GHz radios, modules and receivers that have appeared on RCModelReviews..com

Re: Review: Turnigy 9X version 2 (FHSS).

Postby RCModelReviews » Tue Aug 10, 2010 11:02 am

Yes, the HK 6-channel V2 receiver should work with the V2 9X.
RCModelReviews.com, just the facts.
RCModelReviews

Postby jonlowe » Tue Aug 10, 2010 5:43 pm

I can verify that they work fine, as do these:
http://leadershobby.com/product.asp?ID=9394001220453
Same thing, different label. Put the bind plug in the battery slot and the battery into any open port when binding. I took the case off one to make it lighter and smaller.

Jon
jonlowe

Postby mpthompson » Tue Aug 10, 2010 11:45 pm

Sorry if this has been answered elsewhere, but has there been a determination as to whether the V2 Rx modules function as well as the V1 Rx modules with the satellite receiver? The reason I ask is that I just purchased a 9x V2 transmitter, but I have a slew of 9X V1 compatible receivers on my planes. My choice is to either purchase a bunch of V2 receivers at about $10 each for my foamie planes or downgrade the transmitter 2.4 Ghz module to be compatible with my V1 receivers. If I factor in both money and effort, both decisions are probably about equal in the end. Any suggestions on which way to go? Thanks.
mpthompson

Postby RCModelReviews » Wed Aug 11, 2010 3:45 am

In my range/flight tests the V2 receivers worked perfectly well without any issues.

On the ground, there was a very narrow range of angles where the receiver would lose signal if its antenna was pointed directly at the transmitter -- but this only happened at distances of 300 yard or more and even the slightest movement would restore control so it's unlikely to be detectable in normal flying.
RCModelReviews.com, just the facts.
RCModelReviews

Postby mpthompson » Wed Aug 11, 2010 7:38 am

Terrific, thanks. It's probably simplest for me just to purchase the V2 receivers and forgo backwards V1 compatibility.

I've just added and tested the ISP interface to the 9X to install different firmware. I look forward to your future comments and opinions regarding the open source firmware for this transmitter.
mpthompson

Postby DagKS » Thu Aug 12, 2010 10:17 pm

I have done stick recalibration procedure on my Turnigy 9X v2 transmitter. Afterwards the aileron channel doesn't work (no movement). The other channels are ok.
DagKS

Postby Volhout » Fri Aug 13, 2010 8:55 am

I purchased a Turnigy 9x, and received it 2 weeks ago. After some irritation abouth the setup menu's (i.e. +/- button location not logical) I decided to download the THUS software in it (I was in the lucky situation to have ATMEL tools available). The THUS software is very, very flexible. When you are used to FUTABA, Turnigy or JR menu's, it is somewhat different to set up, with little build in defines that normally make life easier.

Example: if you want flaps, the standard Turnigy software offers you the possibility to enable them with a single command, where the only thing left afterward, is that you assign a control to the flaps (i.e. a potmeter). But you are limitted to the number of controls you can assign to the flap. If you want something more complex, it becomes very confusing to set up. Oh ... and you have to use channel 6 for the second aileron servo.

In the THUS software, you do almost all these settings in the MIXER menu. Each of the 8 output (servo) channels is the result of a programmable mix. You simply program channel 1 (servo 1) to be a mix of the AIL(eron) stick and (just pick any, switch or potmeter) a control. And if you want channel 2 your other servo (because you happen to have a 4 channel receiver only, so there is no channel 6), you program it ....

For heli flyers it is similar. There is no swashplate 120 setting, you create this in a simlar manner with the mixers. Examples are provided. Little more complex, but oh-so flexible. Advantage is that you can simulate a 'swashplat 140' without mechanically changing the swashplate in your heli.

With respect to compatibility: The HobbyKing 6 channel V2 receiver works with the V2 Turnigy 9x. As well as the HobbyKing 3 channel (truck) receiver. Normally flying is not possible with a 3 channel receiver, but with the THUS software, you can simply assign all the controls you like to these first 3 channels. So you can fly: elevon jets, 2- and 3 channel gliders, and all powered models without ailerons.

Another strong pro for the THUS software is that you can simply replace the 8 cell powerblock with a 2S LIPO (I use a 1600), and program the low battery alarm for 7V or so. Oh...another pro, you can make the beep less loud. All in all a lot of functionality ....

This summary is based on release R133 of the THUS software, and it must be said that there are still some bugs in it. This is software in development, but even in this stage it has more functionality than the Turnigy V2 software.
Volhout

Postby jonlowe » Fri Aug 13, 2010 4:04 pm

Volout,
You need to look at erazz's firmware. He took Thus's source code, and has greatly increased it's flexibility and power. You can get it here:

http://code.google.com/p/er9x/

And read about it here on the last few pages of the thread:

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthre ... st15773832

He has been releasing a new version almost daily with added features and fixes.

Jon

Volhout wrote:I purchased a Turnigy 9x, and received it 2 weeks ago. After some irritation abouth the setup menu's (i.e. +/- button location not logical) I decided to download the THUS software in it (I was in the lucky situation to have ATMEL tools available). The THUS software is very, very flexible. When you are used to FUTABA, Turnigy or JR menu's, it is somewhat different to set up, with little build in defines that normally make life easier.

Example: if you want flaps, the standard Turnigy software offers you the possibility to enable them with a single command, where the only thing left afterward, is that you assign a control to the flaps (i.e. a potmeter). But you are limitted to the number of controls you can assign to the flap. If you want something more complex, it becomes very confusing to set up. Oh ... and you have to use channel 6 for the second aileron servo.

In the THUS software, you do almost all these settings in the MIXER menu. Each of the 8 output (servo) channels is the result of a programmable mix. You simply program channel 1 (servo 1) to be a mix of the AIL(eron) stick and (just pick any, switch or potmeter) a control. And if you want channel 2 your other servo (because you happen to have a 4 channel receiver only, so there is no channel 6), you program it ....

For heli flyers it is similar. There is no swashplate 120 setting, you create this in a simlar manner with the mixers. Examples are provided. Little more complex, but oh-so flexible. Advantage is that you can simulate a 'swashplat 140' without mechanically changing the swashplate in your heli.

With respect to compatibility: The HobbyKing 6 channel V2 receiver works with the V2 Turnigy 9x. As well as the HobbyKing 3 channel (truck) receiver. Normally flying is not possible with a 3 channel receiver, but with the THUS software, you can simply assign all the controls you like to these first 3 channels. So you can fly: elevon jets, 2- and 3 channel gliders, and all powered models without ailerons.

Another strong pro for the THUS software is that you can simply replace the 8 cell powerblock with a 2S LIPO (I use a 1600), and program the low battery alarm for 7V or so. Oh...another pro, you can make the beep less loud. All in all a lot of functionality ....

This summary is based on release R133 of the THUS software, and it must be said that there are still some bugs in it. This is software in development, but even in this stage it has more functionality than the Turnigy V2 software.
jonlowe

Postby Volhout » Sat Aug 14, 2010 6:15 pm

@jonlowe: is there any chance the erazz software and thus software grow into one piece of excellent code? Thus is implementing changes that erazz code would also benefit off (i.e. the stick calibration), and vice versa. I am very willing to try erazz code, but it is a waste if the 2 versions double efforts.
Could erazz take a look at the issues with thus his code, and investigate what is inherited in his code ?
Volhout

Postby jonlowe » Mon Aug 16, 2010 2:44 am

Volhout wrote:@jonlowe: is there any chance the erazz software and thus software grow into one piece of excellent code? Thus is implementing changes that erazz code would also benefit off (i.e. the stick calibration), and vice versa. I am very willing to try erazz code, but it is a waste if the 2 versions double efforts.
Could erazz take a look at the issues with thus his code, and investigate what is inherited in his code ?

erazz started with Thus's code, and has included all of Thus's improvements, including stick calibration. He is way ahead of Thus on the code at this point. His code is at least as stable, and has many more functions at this point. As of today, he has added or modified over 5000 lines of code. erazz has been very receptive to added features and fixes. Thus has been less so.
Don't get me wrong. Thus got the ball rolling, and his contributions are very important.

Try erazz's firmware. You will like it.

Jon
jonlowe

PreviousNext

Return to 2.4GHz radios/modules/receivers