Review: Turnigy 9X version 2 (FHSS).

Discussion on the reviews of 2.4GHz radios, modules and receivers that have appeared on RCModelReviews..com

Re: Review: Turnigy 9X version 2 (FHSS).

Postby RCModelReviews » Sat Jun 26, 2010 9:10 pm

rotorcrafts wrote:At first when i bought these radios i was a bit confused that whether these radios are good enough to be sold or not. now after the reveiw by Rc Model Reveiws i am pretty confident that my customers will be happy.

I'm still waiting for the weather to clear in order to do some serious range-tests and flight tests. If they're satisfactory I'll give the tick of approval to the new-version 9X.

It's actually a shame that FlySky didn't leave the option of a satellite though isn't it? They could have made extra money by selling satellite receivers to those who felt they needed them.

FHSS and a sensitive receiver will work perfectly adequately with a single antenna (just look at the Hitec Optima 6/7 receivers). All that has to be determined is whether the 9X's receiver is sensitive enough to guarantee this.
RCModelReviews.com, just the facts.
RCModelReviews

Postby johnkim100530 » Sun Jun 27, 2010 5:40 pm

RCModelReviews wrote:I'm still waiting for the weather to clear in order to do some serious range-tests and flight tests. If they're satisfactory I'll give the tick of approval to the new-version 9X.

New Zealand winter must be severe. We are waiting to hear about your flight test.
Here in southern California, the summer has begun.
johnkim100530

Postby johnkim100530 » Sun Jun 27, 2010 8:46 pm

RCModelReviews wrote:
johnkim100530 wrote:Very true. Fail Safe cannot save the plane. When all controls stay at preset position, the plane falls in graceful arc instead of squirming when the signal is lost intermittently when no fail safe is employed.
When they introduced what they called PCM, we mocked it "Perfect Crash Mode."

Failsafe is more about protecting people than saving the plane.

It's true that no failsafe can guarantee a model won't be destroyed in the event of signal loss -- but it can prevent fly-away (in the case of a glow/gas/glider) and it can mean that, if you're flying in a safe area, away from spectators, the model is far less likely to travel far enough to endanger human life or other property. Those are indeed very important considerations, especially when you look at how many more large/fast models there are around these days.

Only time fail safe was useful was when I was flying a thermal glider. When the glider flies out of range, fail safe sets in and the glider circles around until it is blown back within the range by winds. I repeated the process many times and it was interesting to test fail safe capability.
johnkim100530

Postby RCModelReviews » Sun Jun 27, 2010 10:46 pm

johnkim100530 wrote:New Zealand winter must be severe. We are waiting to hear about your flight test.
Here in southern California, the summer has begun.

Yes, we're in a region known as "the roaring forties" which is a latitude where the winter weather tends to be both windy and wet. While our Aussie neighbors enjoy "mild" conditions, we get relentlessly battered by southern storms.

Still, we don't have poisonous snakes and flies that can turn a white-shirt black in seconds (those Aussies wear those hats with corks around the brim for a very good reason) so I can't complain too much :lol:
RCModelReviews

Postby ransideous » Mon Jun 28, 2010 11:51 am

could the dx5e transmitter circuitry be doctored(made into module?) to fit into 9x? just so i could swap out module and use my ultra-micros( only thing i love about spektrum) or would i have to BUY a spektrum module to fit the 9x? I would love to get away from spektrum but with much invested the best of both worlds would be favorable. :?:
ransideous

Postby jonlowe » Mon Jun 28, 2010 12:57 pm

Bruce,
Now that you've had the V2 9x on the spectrum analyzer, have you verified whether or not the bind button also works to reduce power output for range checking?

BTW, Part 1 of your video review was very good. I liked how you showed how the binding process worked on the spectrum analyzer.

Jon
jonlowe

Postby RCModelReviews » Mon Jun 28, 2010 9:57 pm

I'm pretty sure the bind button doesn't reduce the power but I will check that next time I'm at the workshop.
RCModelReviews

Postby jaime » Tue Jun 29, 2010 7:30 am

I just finished reading your review and you forgot one Con on your list. This version still doesn't have back lighting. I just had to mention this because this drives me nuts when I'm in the room. Even with the light, depending on the angle, the screen gets pretty dark and I keep turning the radio towards the light which gets pretty annoying. I know, it's only a 60 bucks radio. :) I already bought some EL Panels, but have no idea where to get a small inverter for it, so I hope you'll make something like this for it someday. Great information by the way. Thank you.
jaime

Postby RCModelReviews » Tue Jun 29, 2010 7:52 am

It's probably easier (and cheaper) to just replace the LCD with one that has built-in LED backlighting.

I picked up a handful of these 128x64 LCD LED-backlit displays for my telemetry project the other day for about US$12 a pop. I might retrofit the LCD in one of my 9X radios with it.

Although, since I don't fly inside or at night, I don't really need backlighting.
RCModelReviews

Postby jaime » Tue Jun 29, 2010 5:50 pm

Someone suggested that until I opened it up. Here are the pictures. I found it to be a bit tight in there. Then again, I really don't know. I usually messed with the radio indoors but my room can get a bit dark sometimes and even with the light on. So it's not that I fly indoors. I'm just usually indoors when setting it up/changing things at the moment more than anything. I'm learning to set it up first before I try to go learn out side. I'm still learning so I've been setting or trying to set up my 450 heli. I finally got a chance too check out the Finless videos as suggested by others so I hope I got things down a little better now. If you can get that in there, please let us know. I would love to light this thing up just to make it easier for me to see what I'm doing. Thanks.
http://picasaweb.google.com/jaimenow/Tr ... irectlink#
jaime

PreviousNext

Return to 2.4GHz radios/modules/receivers