Review: Turnigy 9X version 2 (FHSS).

Discussion on the reviews of 2.4GHz radios, modules and receivers that have appeared on RCModelReviews..com

Re: Review: Turnigy 9X version 2 (FHSS).

Postby rogueqd » Thu Oct 13, 2011 9:05 am

Jay wrote:Does anyone know using the turnigy 9x. I have currently the throttle cutting off switch controlling the on/ off switch for my light kit on ch. 8. I would like to use a different switch but cannot get to see to make them work? Ideas.?

Flash it with er9x :D
rogueqd

Postby JensR » Thu Oct 13, 2011 8:09 pm

rogueqd wrote:
Jay wrote:Does anyone know using the turnigy 9x. I have currently the throttle cutting off switch controlling the on/ off switch for my light kit on ch. 8. I would like to use a different switch but cannot get to see to make them work? Ideas.?

Flash it with er9x :D

Or open the radio carefully and cut the wires to the switch and put in a switch of your choosing.
Alternatively, just swap the switches already mounted in the radio, either completely with cables or cut and swap the cables.
JensR

Postby rogueqd » Thu Oct 13, 2011 10:02 pm

JensR wrote:Or open the radio carefully and cut the wires to the switch and put in a switch of your choosing.
Alternatively, just swap the switches already mounted in the radio, either completely with cables or cut and swap the cables.
Putting the er9x software on is only slightly harder that what is suggested here, or even easier if you buy the Smartieparts board, and will let you program any/all of the switches to do whatever you like.
rogueqd

Postby Jay » Thu Oct 13, 2011 10:06 pm

A smartyparts board what is that? Where would i find it?
Jay

Postby rogueqd » Thu Oct 13, 2011 10:29 pm

rogueqd

Postby JensR » Thu Oct 13, 2011 10:33 pm

rogueqd wrote:Putting the er9x software on is only slightly harder that what is suggested here, or even easier if you buy the Smartieparts board, and will let you program any/all of the switches to do whatever you like.

"Even easier" - this depends on what type of skillset the person doing it has.
Spending the money on the board just for that one switch is a bit excessive in my books.
If you want to use the other features of the custom firmware, okay, two birds, one stone.
But to change a switch?

(Jay)
> A smartyparts board what is that? Where would i find it?

Jay, simply google
Smartieparts 9x board
that should tell you what you need to know. And you can check the various threads on the (various) custom firmwares available.
By the time you understand everything, you'd have changed the physical switch 10 times :)
(Not to talk about it being out of stock and you'd have to wait several days at least.)
Edit: rogue posted the link already.
JensR

Postby VirginiaJim » Thu Oct 13, 2011 11:11 pm

Jay:

I have provided a link to the Smartieparts site below. Though I have not yet purchased this kit, I have heard good things about it, and will probably pull the trigger on a purchase myself soon.
http://www.smartieparts.com/shop/index. ... cts_id=331

If you wouldn't mind, I am very curious how you managed to control LEDs WITHOUT the addition of a dedicated card designed to interpret the digital codes transmitted on the white servo line. As you probably know the black line is constant negative, and the red is constant positive, providing a source of power for the devices connected through the servo ports to the receiver.

Please give the details on the setup you used to get this working on channel 8. I had just documented the functions and availability of 4 different boards that I have bought to sample what is available to control LEDs for night lighting on my planes.
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showpost ... tcount=807

Don't forget to give the details!

Hope this helps with your questions.

VJ :geek:
Viva la old farts! Flying when I die!
VirginiaJim

Postby JensR » Thu Oct 13, 2011 11:16 pm

VirginiaJim wrote:Jay:
If you wouldn't mind, I am very curious how you managed to control LEDs WITHOUT the addition of a dedicated card designed to interpret the digital codes transmitted on the white servo line. As you probably know the black line is constant negative, and the red is constant positive, providing a source of power for the devices connected through the servo ports to the receiver.

AFAICS, Jay never said anything like that.
He said:

> I have currently the throttle cutting off switch controlling the on/ off switch for my light kit on ch. 8

There are various different light kits, so while I don't know what he used, he most certainly did not say that he connected LEDs directly.
JensR

Postby VirginiaJim » Fri Oct 14, 2011 12:14 am

Jay:

Now that I have been chastised for misunderstanding your post, though my tail is firmly planted between my legs, I thought I might offer an approach that I know works on channels less than 8 with my Turnigy 9x V2 transmitter.

I was working with a Hobby King HK-T6A-V2 6 channel receiver (I have also used the Turnigy 8x receiver), and the Lumifly Lighting system FAA Configurable (Lumifly-1) plugged into channel 5 on the receiver.

After binding my receiver to the Model definition I wanted to use my plane on, I followed the transmitter menu for "Func Settings" where I pressed the "Dn" key until I landed on "Aux-Ch". I selected this option by pressing the Menu key. The resulting screen landed me on Ch5, where I simply had to press the "+" and "-" keys until the "gear" option came up. I then clicked the "Menu" button again to save/select that choice. I then backed out of all the menus using the "Exit" key.

From that point forward, I have been able to get the lights (connected to my Lumifly board which is in turn plugged into the Ch5 port of the receiver, to turn ON, by simply flipping the switch on the upper right of my transmitter next to the Trainer switch. Forward is ON, switched back is OFF.

Hope that helps.

You should know that this Lumifly adapter board has 3 leads active in the cable to the receiver. Checking for 3 leads (rather than 2), which is all that some adapter boards use, is an easy way to distinguish the boards that interpret the digital signals that are sent on the white signal line of the cable and can control LED on/off functions from the transmitter. The 2 lead boards are just able to power the LEDs and usually flash them at preset intervals, but cannot control ON/OFF LED functions from the transmitter.

Cheers!

VJ 8-)
Viva la old farts! Flying when I die!
VirginiaJim

Postby francoishaha » Tue Oct 18, 2011 1:03 am

ok, i just receive my turnigy 9x, i read about the failsafe. I just want to be shure about what i read cause im not excellent in english.

Im running electric plane, if i lost signal the motor turn off right?
wich module fits the turnigy, i guess it's the same as the Jr transmitter right?

I want to get frSky module cause it's better as i can see in model reviews video, wich are realy good :)

thanks for sharing information and the passion with newbee :D
francoishaha

PreviousNext

Return to 2.4GHz radios/modules/receivers