Review: Turnigy 9X version 2 (FHSS).

Discussion on the reviews of 2.4GHz radios, modules and receivers that have appeared on RCModelReviews..com

Re: Review: Turnigy 9X version 2 (FHSS).

Postby Volhout » Mon Aug 16, 2010 6:49 am

Thanks Jonlowe,

We'll continue at the ER9x forum. I have the code loaded (R20), and it looks as an older TH9x version with added features. This is also confirmed by the treads I read from the forum so far. I must admit erazz is cranking out versions faster than I can even program them in my Turnigy.

Harm
Volhout

Postby DagKS » Mon Aug 16, 2010 8:28 pm

jonlowe wrote:

While at the same screen, press the + key, the screen will change, and you will get the position of the controls in hex code. You can see the numbers change as you move the sticks or knobs. Press - to go back to the firmware version screen. Exit the firmware screen, and go to the Display menu item. As long as you haven't turned the TX off, you will see the hex codes for stick positions for the 4 primary controls. Once you turn the tx off and back on, and go back to the Display menu item, the numbers will disappear.

After I did the stick calibratrion which caused the aileron channel to malfunction, the menu descibed over reports 0000 all the time. I might have caused this myself by pressing twice with the sticks centered (steps 0000 and 0001). I then turned the transmitter off and started over, did it right the next time. I didn't actually notice the aileron malfunction until later since the model had no wings attatched.

I have recently ordered USB ISP Programmer for ATMEL AVR (ATMega/ATTiny...) link: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=320573674418&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT
If new software doesn't help I will probably buy another.
DagKS

Postby JMJ » Tue Aug 17, 2010 10:09 pm

Mr. Simpson,

Thank you very much for your hard work. I really appreciate it.

I have a question about the receivers for 9X. The receivers under FlySky are supposed to be the same as those under Turnigy. On the RCGroup forum, someone posted a picture of one Turnigy receiver and one FlySky receiver. It seems that one has less hot glue inside. I wonder if there is any difference between them. In other words, do both have exactly the same component quality, performance, built quality, etc. One online business claims that the servos sold for local Chninese market do not have imported parts, while the same products for export market use imported parts (i.e. higher quality parts). I have to say that I strongly believe both brands are for export market, since all the labeling is in English.

Thank you.
JMJ

Postby RCModelReviews » Tue Aug 17, 2010 10:52 pm

As far as I am aware, the Turnigy systems are simply a rebranded FlySky radio so the components should be identical.

The reason for the difference observed is probably more to do with the very variable quality control (or lack thereof) which is applied to these radios. That means there can be huge differences in the quality of construction from one unit to another.
RCModelReviews.com, just the facts.
RCModelReviews

Postby mpthompson » Wed Aug 18, 2010 5:22 am

Regarding variable quality of manufactured Chinese goods, does anyone really know how these units are manufactured? I've heard stories of other equipment where whole villages are contracted to build specific devices. PCB boards may be stuffed in one house, soldered in another and the final assembly in another -- this going on across dozens to hundreds of houses across the village. It certainly would explain the a lot of variability often seen in Chinese goods. Perhaps things have evolved in China where actual factories dominate the assembly of goods, but assembly could still be doled out to different factories for different lots of the same device.
mpthompson

Postby jonlowe » Sat Aug 21, 2010 12:38 pm

Bruce,
Sometime back you said you were going to post an article about how to modify the 9x V2 so that the 2.4gHz internal antenna could be used with other modules. In the meantime, could you post something here about what the mod is and what components are needed to accomplish it?

Thanks.

Jon
jonlowe

Postby RCModelReviews » Sun Aug 22, 2010 11:47 pm

I'm just waiting for some bits to arrive which (hopefully) will allow easy conversion and the ability to switch back and forth between modules. Once they get here (should be this week) I'll get the conversion project (and links to the source of the parts) online for all to see.
RCModelReviews.com, just the facts.
RCModelReviews

Postby StrA » Tue Aug 24, 2010 4:38 pm

it turns out that turnigy V2 is also compatible with some (cheap) hobbyKing receivers.

I bought this 3ch receiver http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/uh_viewItem.asp?idProduct=10625&Product_Name=Hobby_King_GT-2__2.4Ghz_Receiver_3Ch_
(Hobby King GT-2 2.4Ghz Receiver 3Ch $6.12)

And it just work!so tiny and lightweight (5g.) and perfect for my small parkflyer!

and it seems to be also compatible with the "Hobby King 2.4Ghz Receiver 6Ch V2": http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/uh_viewItem.asp?idProduct=12901&Product_Name=Hobby_King_2.4Ghz_Receiver_6Ch_V2
StrA

Postby Volhout » Fri Aug 27, 2010 10:24 am

For those who still run the Turnigy 9x with the original software, and think about programming it with the THUS software, I suggest you look at this page:

http://code.google.com/p/er9x/

This software is the successor of the Thus TH9x code, and is stuffed with functionality.

Harm
Volhout

Postby DagKS » Sat Aug 28, 2010 2:12 am

28082010(002).jpg
28082010(002).jpg (140.82 KiB) Viewed 17471 times

I managed to flash my transmitter, and I used the file as Volhout suggested. The aileron is currently working, but I'm not sure if this was a SW error or something else. After the unlucky stick the calibration I experienced that the transmitter actually resetted itself - it happened very often when the right stick (aileron) was moved hard right. What do the experts think, was it a SW fault, or could it be something mechanical?
DagKS

PreviousNext

Return to 2.4GHz radios/modules/receivers