Review: Turnigy 9X version 2 (FHSS).

Discussion on the reviews of 2.4GHz radios, modules and receivers that have appeared on RCModelReviews..com

Re: Review: Turnigy 9X version 2 (FHSS).

Postby RCModelReviews » Wed Jun 23, 2010 7:28 pm

Jayshergill wrote:Or should I go inevest into spectrum dx7 or something?

I've got nothing against Spektrum (although the guys at Horizon may think I do) but right now, it's one of the least-capable 2.4GHz systems, as far as interference rejection goes.

When even a $60 Chinese radio now uses frequency-hopping, Spektrum's 2-channel DSSS technology really doesn't cut the mustard any longer.

Just compare the major brands to see what's needed these days to provide maximum performance in an increasingly crowded 2.4GHz band::

Futaba: FHSS
Hitec: FHSS
Airtronics: FHSS
JR (DSMJ): FHSS

Only Spektrum (and JR in the USA) have stuck with DSSS and it shows.

Compare a large gaser or turbine running with DSM2 and one running with Futaba FASST and you'll soon see how tired the DSM2 system has become. Spektrum requires satellites everywhere, data-loggers, etc - whereas the Futaba system has one receiver, two antennas and that's it.

At busy meetings like Joe Nall where there are many radios turned on at once, DSM2 systems start failing in the air (or simply won't link up) while the frequency-hoppers seem to continue working just fine.

Spektrum's great for parkfliers but I don't see the point in paying good money for a system that's barely changed in more than three years and now represents "yesterday's technology".

Sorry (Horizon) to be so blunt, that's just how I am :o
RCModelReviews.com, just the facts.
RCModelReviews

Postby redline » Wed Jun 23, 2010 9:25 pm

Very interesting info.
I currently just have my 1st radio (dynam 2.4G 4 channel) and just everyone tells I am wanting more features already so this looks like a great option which should keep me happy with features indefinately.
A friend with spektrum gear rekkon the DX6i would be the way to go but for that much more money its just not good enough value.
redline

Postby Jayshergill » Wed Jun 23, 2010 9:36 pm

Ok I'll look into the other brands instead of the spectrum. i have an older two channel sanwa and 4 channel airtronics radio they work great. i guess i'll stick with these brands or may be get hitec.
So you don't think turnigy 9x be good remote. I was just saying due to there receiver being so low cost. I can install it in couple of planes and helicopters without spending too much money.
Jayshergill

Postby RCModelReviews » Wed Jun 23, 2010 10:13 pm

By early next week I will have performed the flight/range testing that will give a better idea as to how good the 2.4GHz system that comes standard with the 9X really is.

Will ditching the satellite receiver really affect the performance of the system?

I don't know yet -- but I will in a few days' time.

However, the 9X is such stunning value that even if you consider it little more than a basic radio on steroids its still undeniable value. I can't think why anyone wouldn't buy one at this stage. Even if the 2.4GHz side of thing disappoints during flight-testing, you can always replace it with better module/receiver such as the FrSky products.
RCModelReviews

Postby mpthompson » Thu Jun 24, 2010 4:40 am

I'm rather new to RC flying and have been enjoying the learning process with my Hobby King HK-T6A as I worked through a small number of RTF foamies and now I'm into scratch built foamies. Keeping things cheap for me has allowed me more freedom to experiment a bit and hopefully learn more from doing.

In any case, I'm now very interested in upgrading to this Turnigy 9x to multi-aircraft configurations, get expos (to make my flying wings easier to handle) and to play with the alternative firmware. I've quite a bit of experience with Atmel MCU's so it shouldn't be too big of a deal for me to re-reflash new firmware.

I have a couple of basic questions before I put my order in:

1. I know my Hobby King HK-TR6A V1 receivers won't work with this new V2 transmitter. This is too bad as I have a bunch of them for foamies I've built and are contemplating building. It seems I should be able to purchase the old V1 module and pop it into this transmitter and continue to use my V1 receivers. Correct?

2. Is there anything about the Turnigy 9X V2 that will prevent the alternate firmware for the older V1 version from working? For example, has the circuit board been updated so that instructions for re-flashing the firmware will no longer work?

3. If I just wanted to use a 3S Lipo inside this transmitter, what specific one from HK has been tested to fit properly? I'll also consider doing the DIY $8 battery modification as well.

Thank you for putting this website and forum together. It's a great resource for those of us who are diving into RC flight and have a bit of a hacker mentality.
mpthompson

Postby johnkim100530 » Thu Jun 24, 2010 4:59 am

Jayshergill wrote:
Or should I go inevest into spectrum dx7 or something?

I have Spektrum DX-7 TX and 2 receivers (7 ch. and 6 ch.) for sale. New in box, all for $300.

Let me know if you are interested.
johnkim100530

Postby MajorTom » Thu Jun 24, 2010 6:36 am

Hello.
First of all, nice review. Thank you!

I Ordered one of these right after they went on back-order. Looks like my gamble payed off!
Does anyone know when HK will be getting their next shipment? I am about as patient as a 10 year old!
MajorTom

Postby RCModelReviews » Thu Jun 24, 2010 6:36 am

mpthompson wrote:1. I know my Hobby King HK-TR6A V1 receivers won't work with this new V2 transmitter. This is too bad as I have a bunch of them for foamies I've built and are contemplating building. It seems I should be able to purchase the old V1 module and pop it into this transmitter and continue to use my V1 receivers. Correct?

Yes, if you can find an old V1 module that would work.

2. Is there anything about the Turnigy 9X V2 that will prevent the alternate firmware for the older V1 version from working? For example, has the circuit board been updated so that instructions for re-flashing the firmware will no longer work?

It doesn't appear so -- there is some very minor reworking to the PCB (which actually makes it easier to hook up a programmer) but the circuit design appears unchanged.

3. If I just wanted to use a 3S Lipo inside this transmitter, what specific one from HK has been tested to fit properly? I'll also consider doing the DIY $8 battery modification as well.

I can't help there -- but I would opt for a 2S lipo/lithium-Ion rather than a 2S because it'll allow your regulators to run cooler and in theory allow a longer run-time from the same (physical) sized battery.

Some modules (FrSky, FlyDream) have switching regulators that will handle a 3S lithium fine but others (such as Corona and FlySky/Turnigy) use linear regulators that do get pretty warm on 12V.

Thank you for putting this website and forum together. It's a great resource for those of us who are diving into RC flight and have a bit of a hacker mentality.

That's the goal of RCModelReviews. Spread the word!
RCModelReviews

Postby joanwa » Thu Jun 24, 2010 6:43 am

mpthompson wrote:2. Is there anything about the Turnigy 9X V2 that will prevent the alternate firmware for the older V1 version from working? For example, has the circuit board been updated so that instructions for re-flashing the firmware will no longer work?

almost nothing. So far one capacitor and a soldering pad which makes it even easier to solder. but check the pages wiki:
http://code.google.com/p/th9x/wiki/inst ... e?wl=en-US

Also I'd like to mention that this Tx is cheap, but not cheap as beans: $60 Tx + $34 shipping plus tax or toll in most countries another $15. So $100 + is cheap, but not cheap as beans!
joanwa

Postby RCModelReviews » Thu Jun 24, 2010 7:40 am

I guess here in NZ we pay more than most countries do for their beans and we don't have the taxes you do on imported products so the comparison is more valid for us :lol:

Still, if you compare the functionality of the 9X with the old 4-channel, non-computerized, fixed-frequency Futaba SkySport that used to cost US$100, it really is incredible value for money.
RCModelReviews

PreviousNext

Return to 2.4GHz radios/modules/receivers