The TFR8 FASST-compatible Chinese receiver

Discussion on the reviews of 2.4GHz radios, modules and receivers that have appeared on RCModelReviews..com

Re: The TFR8 FASST-compatible Chinese receiver

Postby Ralph.R » Fri Nov 19, 2010 9:51 am

Many thanks for your help much appreciated, I have ordered 5 pairs of replacement Antennas from Himodel
I did email Hobbyking last night suggesting they send me replacement antennas but I decided to order from Himodel today
anyway as I didnt think Hobbyking would bother to reply.
I think you are correct it looks like they have wrapped them in bubble wrap and snipped the ends off trimming it
It makes sense as they came in 2 batches separatley wrapped and the 5 short ones were all together
Ralph.R

Postby suchislife » Fri Nov 19, 2010 1:43 pm

Jason has closed the thread for this issue on HK forum, and has had a dig at Bruce for not checking his facts. He says HK support did nothing wrong and is blaming FrSky.

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/foru ... 14029&PN=2

looks like you touched a nerve calling HK support less than useless..! (which they certainly can be sometimes)
I have opened a new thread on HK forums as I believe this is an important issue, and HK are just sweeping it under the rug.

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/foru ... 14049&PN=1
Sopwith Camels Rule!
suchislife

Postby RCModelReviews » Fri Nov 19, 2010 9:16 pm

Yes, it is *very* bad form for HK to close a thread -- especially when in doing so they are effectively stating "we are right, those antennas are just fine" -- which is clearly NOT the case.

I suspect the real problem here is that the HK CS team know *nothing* about the products they are supposedly supporting.

The conversation will likely have gone like this:

HKCS: Customer had radios with different length antennas, is this okay?

FRSKY: Yes, antennas are sometimes different, we set length to match receiver

What was obviously missed in that exchange was:

1. HKCS should have said the antennas are different lengths because the protruding portion appears to be missing
2. The FrSky "engineer" should have said "different *MODELS* of our receivers may have different-length antennas

I'm picking this is a simple communications problem that is best defined by the (aptly named) term "Chinese Whispers" where at each step along the communications path from customer to engineer and back to customer, a bit of important information or meaning has been left out.

Now if HK had come back and said "there appears to have been a misunderstanding and so the advice given was wrong" I think the issue would be adequately resolved.

However, to simply say "This [the bad advice given] is exactly right"

"I'm closing this thread" and "Our CSR team acted correctly" is inappropriate and unreasonable.

To anyone encountering the same problem and stumbling on just the posting that say's "she'll be right" the bad advice still remains.

The fact that HK seems blissfully unaware that they *DO* have a CS problem -- insomuch as the communications paths are weak and prone to misunderstanding that can completely invalidate any response also seems to be a worry.

As I've always said -- HK provide unbeatable prices but don't expect *any* technical support from them for the products you buy.
RCModelReviews.com, just the facts.
RCModelReviews

Postby kneedrag » Sat Nov 20, 2010 3:36 am

FrSky has been informed of this thread and are investigating.
kneedrag

Postby spitfire2010 » Sat Nov 20, 2010 8:16 am

would be really interested to hear the responce from Frsky
spitfire2010

Postby kneedrag » Sat Nov 20, 2010 9:35 am

I will let you know as soon as I hear back from there investigation.
kneedrag

Postby RCModelReviews » Sat Nov 20, 2010 6:55 pm

I also emailed FrSky and said:

Can you please advise what happened in regards to the HobbyKing customer who was told that their FrSky FASST receivers would be okay to use with faulty antennas?

HobyKing has stated:

"I have checked with our engineer. The variable length of antennas is for RF matching with PCB. So it is normal that manufacturer produce different length of antennas."

And Jason from HobbyKing has then claimed:

"This is exactly right. I just spoke with FrSky's rep on msn and he has confirmed the statement"

This is clearly NOT correct and I would like to know how it is possible that a customer has been given such very bad advice.

Is FrSky saying that it is okay to use the receivers with no exposed inner conductor at the end of the antennas in the pictures? Is FrSky saying that it matches each receiver's antennas individually by trimming the length?

FrSky have responded today with this:

Actually it is not true. The receivers dispatched out from our factory have the right antennas (shown as the left receiver and right one with completed antennas) which have exposed inner conductor at the end for about 33mm length. We have not cut antennas. From my perspective, the reason of missing some length of antennas may be caused by bad packaging/delivery to customers.

Eva

So it's a he-says, she-says situation.

Who do *you* believe?
RCModelReviews.com, just the facts.
RCModelReviews

Postby kneedrag » Sat Nov 20, 2010 7:38 pm

I can vouch for how the parcels are packed. Aside from the one package I got via EMS which looked like it had been used as the lunch time football for the customs crew all my parcels from FrSky have been received in a nicely packed box with plenty of protection. On a side note all the items in that box that were damaged were replaced promptly as well. I have now switched to TNT after that box and since then I have not had once damaged box arrive.
kneedrag

Postby Ralph.R » Thu Nov 25, 2010 7:26 pm

Hobby King have got in touch and apologized for mishandling the product ,and have offered to exchange the receivers or send me
New antennas,
As I already ordered new antennas from Himodel I asked them if they would send me 5 of the new plastic cases instead which they
Have agreed to do.
So alls well that ends well
Many thanks for all your help
Ralph.R

Postby kneedrag » Mon Dec 06, 2010 9:04 am

Sorry you had to jump through hoops for you to get the correct product. If you approach any of the other FrSky dealers you should get much better service in this regard. Unfortunately HK is focused on pushing product quantity rather than providing quality support.
kneedrag

PreviousNext

Return to 2.4GHz radios/modules/receivers