ASP/Sanye/Magnum 52 2-stroke glow engine

Discussion on reviews of Glow/nitro and gas engines

Re: ASP/Sanye/Magnum 52 2-stroke glow engine

Postby jeffie8696 » Wed Sep 22, 2010 6:16 am

I find it a shame that most of the budget priced engines that should get the new flyer up and running have carb issues that dont lend them to be user friendly.
Therefore I see the low priced engines as "advanced tuner/flyer"(because not all flyers are good tuners LOL) engines.

Everyone seems bent on advising a new flyer to buy the biggest engine he can on his trainer. I do not subscribe to this. I feel they should get the most reliable engine with enough power to fly the plane efficiently. I just love the Thunder Tiger GP42 for a 40 size trainer.
So often I hear "you should get the biggest engine on your trainer because more power will get you out of trouble", my response is "only if you know how to apply it" unlike most newbies.
How about teach the beginner to fly the wing not the engine, they will be happier in the long run. considering my engine has dead sticked on me a few times :roll: and luckily I knew how to float er in.
jeffie8696

Postby RCModelReviews » Wed Sep 22, 2010 7:49 am

Simpson's first rule of power: No matter how small the engine -- it will always have enough power to get your model to the scene of the crash! :lol:
RCModelReviews.com, just the facts.
RCModelReviews

Postby voidhawk » Thu Oct 07, 2010 1:59 pm

Hi Guys!

Got an OS engine 55ax instead! My friend helped me break in and tuning it for 4 tanks.
It is what you say a reliable engine out of the box.

I going to say sorry i used home brew instead but with a mixture of COSMO 10% nitro. (50%)
I used an old no.8 pulg for breaking in. I also bought a glow plug for 4 stroke and a cold version.

I would educate myself on this engine and soon ill get an ASP for my next project. Thanks for the support

Anyway here are some videos during tuning and break in process.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YC1Ri37to80

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LJ6kpO69gh4
voidhawk

Postby jeffie8696 » Sat Oct 09, 2010 6:30 am

I have had great luck with all my OS engines. You pay extra for them but you cant knock the performance. but at this stage they dont offer much of a challenge to my engine tuning skills. ;) Kinda boring ya know . :lol:
Plug and play? heck might as well be an electric. :mrgreen:
jeffie8696

Postby voidhawk » Sat Oct 09, 2010 10:48 am

Great tuning on the OS 55ax engine but still had dead sticks....Where did i get wrong, :roll:

Im using 5% nitro
No 8 Glow Plug

STill get dead stick..i dont know why? Engine seems overheated...Should i use
glow number 10 cold? Its so hot in here in our place might be a factor...help guys!
voidhawk

Postby RCModelReviews » Sun Oct 10, 2010 6:12 am

voidhawk wrote:Great tuning on the OS 55ax engine but still had dead sticks....Where did i get wrong, :roll:

Im using 5% nitro
No 8 Glow Plug

STill get dead stick..i dont know why? Engine seems overheated...Should i use
glow number 10 cold? Its so hot in here in our place might be a factor...help guys!

Try an OS-F (4-stroke plug) and check that you don't have fuel-foaming issues.
RCModelReviews.com, just the facts.
RCModelReviews

Postby jeffie8696 » Mon Oct 11, 2010 5:09 am

Idle mix too lean, idle mix too rich, high speed setting too rich, high speed setting too lean? etc etc
At idle with the engine warmed up pinch the fuel line shut and hold it. if the engine speeds up a lot then dies it is too rich, if it dies right away it is too lean. If it speeds up just a little then dies you are probably just about right.
High speed setting, set the throttle to full, open the needle rich till the engine starts to burble , turn it back till it starts to scream, keep turning till it starts to slow a little, this can happen quickly. Now you know what the range of the needle adjustment is.
to set it for flying simply turn it open rich till it starts to burble then lean it till it screams now richen it again till it almost starts to burble, this setting should keep you on the rich side of the needle. that should be a decent setting to get you going.
jeffie8696

Postby albsurfer » Thu Mar 24, 2011 12:58 am

The needle valve problem, the idle loading, and mid-range loading are all problems I've experienced with the Super Tigre 51 & 61(ringed) motors. I didn't try using the 4S plug on them, but it makes sense.

Thanks for the great review.
albsurfer

Postby danielvulrich » Tue May 24, 2011 2:46 pm

albsurfer wrote:I didn't try using the 4S plug on them, but it makes sense.

so are you just assuming that it makes sense or you have tried it?
There is iPhone development
rules for car owners. I recommend
danielvulrich

Postby jeffie8696 » Thu May 26, 2011 3:38 pm

An engine that is already tuned way too rich will benefit from a very hot plug. I use very hot plugs when running no nitro fuels in mine to get the mixture to light off properly, it is more an idle issue than a high speed problem. Most engines have trouble metering the idle mix well enough to run non nitro fuels which are run much leaner .
jeffie8696

PreviousNext

Return to IC engines