Turnigy 9X HELP NEEDED!!!

Here's an area where you can ask any kind of question about RC models and find a whole lot of useful information to help you get started.

Turnigy 9X HELP NEEDED!!!

Postby entomophile » Thu Dec 22, 2011 2:54 pm

I have a new FlySky FS-TH9x (rebranded Turnigy 9X) that is giving me fits. I have a smartieparts programming board installed in the TX and the firmware has been reflashed to er9x. When I plug a servo into any channel, the servo swings back and forth madly or just jitters at best. The red led inside the RX blinks in tune to the servo jitters. I tried several servos with the same result so i don't think it is a servo problem. I bound the TX/RX following the RCMR video steps exactly using a measured 6.4v (I tried 4.8v first but I was still having problems so I tried 6.4 thinking maybe I didn't have enough power). The RX and TX are far away from any other radio equipment during binding and testing so I don't think it is an interference problem. Any idea of what is going on? How do I diagnose this problem? Is it a TX problem? RX problem? Maybe a wrong setting in the TX software? I am new to aerial RC so I have limited experience to solve this on my own. Any help would be greatly appreciated. -Greg

PS-The radio seems to work fine in AeroSim flight simulator software so maybe the TX hardware is OK?
entomophile

Re: Turnigy 9X HELP NEEDED!!!

Postby quarry44 » Thu Dec 22, 2011 6:24 pm

If the light's flashing on the rx,it sounds to me like it's not bound properly.Try re-binding.
I had a similar problem after updating the fw recently,after forgetting to save the eeprom :oops: .
This was fixed by re-calibrating the sticks,so maybe that would help.
quarry44

Postby entomophile » Thu Dec 22, 2011 8:02 pm

Realized I might have had interference when binding before as I was very close to a WiFi signal. So I went to a WiFi free area, recalibrated my sticks, and tried to rebind my RX. No luck. At first servos were swinging from end to end repeatedly. So I tried to rebind again and the RX led is acting funky. Sometimes it blinks while binding pin is in, sometimes it doesn't light at all. Can't seem to get radio to bind at all anymore. Anyway to tell if I have a bad TX module or RX?
entomophile

Postby westy » Thu Dec 22, 2011 11:37 pm

I would try to REflash it with a stable version of ER9X as a first step....
westy

Postby entomophile » Fri Dec 23, 2011 2:17 am

Yeah, I tried the reflash. Had the latest version first, then reflashed to the latest stable binary (r444). No luck.
entomophile

Postby BillGriffiths100 » Fri Dec 23, 2011 9:36 pm

entomophile wrote:Yeah, I tried the reflash. Had the latest version first, then reflashed to the latest stable binary (r444). No luck.

It does sound as though the programming is not working.
1/ Check that the contacts from the smartie board to the main board are making good contact.
2/ If that doesn't work up the programming voltage to 5 volts from 3.3.
3 / Are you the pollinator or the pollinated? Those teeth look kinda scary..
Compromising with out of control government is like living with a lion, sooner or later the bloody thing will eat you .

You accept the tyranny of the state when it's not being applied to you, when it is: it's too late.
BillGriffiths100

Postby Flash1940 » Fri Dec 23, 2011 10:09 pm

Is it possible the modulation type is incorrect ???....Maybe this isn't possible with your programming.... I know that with SPCM selected with one of my transmitters.....I got that servo jittering chaos you mentioned. Changing over to PCM fixed it !

Flash
Flash1940

Postby Keith » Fri Dec 23, 2011 10:32 pm

I had that when I had PCM selected instead of PPM...? Must have hit the wrong button because everything worked fine until then.... First thing I check now...
If anyone is feeling a bit paranoid....BEHIND YOU....
Keith

Postby entomophile » Sat Dec 24, 2011 12:52 am

I think maybe I found the problem. I had unsoldered the antenna so I could mount it to the TX so I could remove it. I checked my soldering with a multimeter and it looked as if there was a short at the antenna. I unsoldered the antenna thinking it was a bad soldering job but when I checked the circuit board, it still looks like there is a short. The shield and the center wire of the coax should be electrically isolated, correct? When I put my multimeter on the two coax solder points on the circuit board, it shows there is an electrical connection. Have I found the problem, or should these two points be on the same circuit?
entomophile

Postby BillGriffiths100 » Sat Dec 24, 2011 9:54 am

entomophile wrote:I think maybe I found the problem. I had unsoldered the antenna so I could mount it to the TX so I could remove it. I checked my soldering with a multimeter and it looked as if there was a short at the antenna. I unsoldered the antenna thinking it was a bad soldering job but when I checked the circuit board, it still looks like there is a short. The shield and the center wire of the coax should be electrically isolated, correct? When I put my multimeter on the two coax solder points on the circuit board, it shows there is an electrical connection. Have I found the problem, or should these two points be on the same circuit?

Sorry I don't think you have found the problem.
This is a picture of the connections on the board both sides of the central connection are ground and connected the central connection should not be shorted to the grounds.
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=164&start=280#p9842
However there is a very low impedance between the central connection and the grounds that looks on a DC meter like a short.
An ordinary meter will read it as a short as its less than an ohm.
At GHz frequencies it doesn't behave like a short but a much higher impedance.
There is also a discussion here about the connection and moving it you should read.
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=164&start=270#p9838
There's a video showing a disconnection and reconnection in this post.
Compromising with out of control government is like living with a lion, sooner or later the bloody thing will eat you .

You accept the tyranny of the state when it's not being applied to you, when it is: it's too late.
BillGriffiths100

Next

Return to For Beginners (if you're just getting started in RC)