One handed flying

Here's an area where you can ask any kind of question about RC models and find a whole lot of useful information to help you get started.

One handed flying

Postby badatflying » Fri Dec 16, 2011 9:25 pm

I been flying about a year now but just with one hand because I only have use of my right hand.The help I

need is this, Hobbyking sells this "PC Flight Simulator Controller System" it is a onehanded joystick I wood

like to see some one use this and ask them Questions about like how does it work and can you put the throttle

on the fire button? because what I have seen of it has the throttle on the lever.Does anyone know of a

onehanded joystick that I can fly rc plane with? I can fly ok now but I was wanting to do some 3D flying now.
thank's for everyone's time.
badatflying

Re: One handed flying

Postby Sid Sideslip » Sat Dec 17, 2011 2:33 am

As the fire button is an on/off switch, one solution could be to modify an existing joystick with a thumb slider, mounted near the top, for throttle.

Using a sliding potentiometer to replace the fire button would also work, but it would be very difficult to control, as you would always have to maintain its position against a spring, whereas a thumb slider on the top side near the hat switch would maintain throttle setting with the thumb on or off it.
What goes up...better bloody stay up (until I say otherwise).
Sid Sideslip

Postby Keith » Sat Dec 17, 2011 11:39 am

Why stop at a thumb slider... a bit more wire and a few more pieces and you could have a foot throttle... Might need a 'head locking' swivel chair as well..
If anyone is feeling a bit paranoid....BEHIND YOU....
Keith

Postby BillGriffiths100 » Sat Dec 17, 2011 12:03 pm

From the information in the files on this joystick and it's connected FPV box it looks as though you could add on a foot pedal.
But the information is not enough to say for sure. If the on off buttons for the non proportional channels use resistor dividers to give the switch positions an electronics savy helper could put a thumb wheel in the stick top for the throttle conversion.
But......... there are only three proportional channels on this joystick what you need is a joystick that has three axes: twist for rudder, forward backward for elevator, side to side for aileron and the thumb wheel at the top for throttle.
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/c ... ns.svg.png
The flight link system of RC in the 70's used a three axis joystick and one variant had a throttle in the top. Perhaps someone has an old flight link system with this joystick ready made.....anyone?
Compromising with out of control government is like living with a lion, sooner or later the bloody thing will eat you .

You accept the tyranny of the state when it's not being applied to you, when it is: it's too late.
BillGriffiths100

Postby Shotglass » Sat Dec 17, 2011 4:49 pm

maybe you could figure out wa way to use the triggers from an xbox pad as the fire buttons on a joystick afaik those arent just buttons but have potentiometers in them (or find a joystick with a trigger that has travel and a twisty bottom for the rudder)
Shotglass

Postby rogueqd » Wed Dec 28, 2011 9:40 am

What about a head tracker? You could program the head tracker to control the ailerons and elevator (or whatever) and use the joystick as your throttle. Although I guess that would make it hard to keep your eyes on the plane, may be good for FPV. Just a thought.
rogueqd

Postby Flash1940 » Fri Dec 30, 2011 12:57 am

I'd bet somebody could design a strain gauge and oral fixture of some sort to do the job. Bite down to go fast....relax for idle...etc. Well heck....it's an idea...!!!
Flash1940

Return to For Beginners (if you're just getting started in RC)