FPV made easy

To discuss all things relating to flying models via remote video

Re: FPV made easy

Postby RCModelReviews » Fri Jan 13, 2012 1:13 am

Yellowirenut wrote:They are predicting 5 inces of snow and high winds tonight so it may be a wile.

Are you in NZ too? :lol:
RCModelReviews.com, just the facts.
RCModelReviews

Postby Sid Sideslip » Fri Jan 13, 2012 1:44 am

GAH! I'm trying to follow the wiring set up for my version of the Remzibi OSD and the website doesn't make it clear to my ancient brain.

Can someone please post up a wiring diagram of the correct connections?

I'm OK with most of it, but I'm unsure of the camera and Tx connection, especially as the camera is supposed to have a lower voltage which the Tx normally supplies on it's camera connectors -the big plug next to its normal power in (am I correct in that?). Also where should I tap in the OSD main LiPo voltage sensing leads into the harness? As you can see, I'm using a single battery set-up.

Sorry for being so dense; I don't have the capacitance and seem to have a high resistance and need to be LED, watt? (groan)

Here it is all laid out, plus a close up of the OSD itself and the Tx .

Paul, anyone?

What goes up...better bloody stay up (until I say otherwise).
Sid Sideslip

Postby RCModelReviews » Fri Jan 13, 2012 1:48 am

I haven't used (and don't have an) Remzibi OSD but I'll see what I can find out for you.
RCModelReviews

Postby Sid Sideslip » Fri Jan 13, 2012 2:13 am

Thanks Bruce. I'm just scared of frying something (too late for my brain though).
Sid Sideslip

Postby bmsweb » Fri Jan 13, 2012 3:00 am

Here is the way I wired mine. Not sure how helpful this is but I could do a quick illustration if that helps.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-dUCXhnqZPA
bmsweb

Postby Sid Sideslip » Fri Jan 13, 2012 4:14 am

bmsweb wrote:Here is the way I wired mine. Not sure how helpful this is but I could do a quick illustration if that helps.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-dUCXhnqZPA

I've watched that video before Paul, but am still a bit confused, so a full diagram would make it clearer and would be much appreciated.

The problem I have is that the HobbyKing Tx has a power in and then sends a lower voltage power out to the camera (the red wire you don't use on the camera connector plug) as teh camera apparently doesn't like 12v. It seems the Remzibi has a two wire input (V+ and ground) that connects to what I assume is a voltage divider with three wires out, one of which seems to be a lower voltage that then feeds to the "Power for video system" connector on the right of the OSD (red wire out) which is what you are using for both the camera and to power the Tx? Which would then be running at less than 12 volts, am I correct in that? That's what's confusing me. I haven't run a DMM over anything yet to be sure. I was assuming that the TX should run at full battery voltage so as to give the most powerful signal.

Power in for the Remzibi...three wires out, one lower voltage or what? Not sure what that box does..regulator, or voltage divider? Maybe the Remzibi runs at lower voltage and it just passes the red wire at the same voltage as the battery.

Also, I noticed in the video that you don't have the main battery voltage sensing connector installed on the Remzibi. Do use that feature on the OSD and if so where do you wire that in?

Sorry for being dense, but best to be sure, as I thought the HobbyKing Sony camera (same as yours) had to run at a lower voltage than the Tx. I hate the magic smoke! lol
Sid Sideslip

Postby RCModelReviews » Fri Jan 13, 2012 4:26 am

Is that the 200mW 5.8GHz transmitter?

I'm not so sure that the power output lead is anything other than wired in parallel with the input power. Throw a meter on and you'll probably find it's 12V, just like the input voltage.
RCModelReviews

Postby Sid Sideslip » Fri Jan 13, 2012 6:08 am

RCModelReviews wrote:Is that the 200mW 5.8GHz transmitter?

I'm not so sure that the power output lead is anything other than wired in parallel with the input power. Throw a meter on and you'll probably find it's 12V, just like the input voltage.

Yeah, its the HobbyKing 200mW 5.8Ghz one, which is essentially the same as the Foxtech version. On the Foxtech site they say that the Tx has a regulated output voltage to the camera that is 0.5 volt lower than the input. I'll scrabble around for a plug to power my Tx and see for myself on the DMM. If the camera voltage is lower, I'll wire things up to take advantage of that I guess, as I've read somewhere those cheap Sony cameras don't like excess voltage, even though they are rated "Input voltage: 9~12.6V". Still, it seems to work OK on Paul's set-up.

Btw, the input device on the Remzibi is a voltage splitter...but it passes on 12V to the video power output connection and the third lead is 5.0V for the OSD itself.

Last edited by Sid Sideslip on Fri Jan 13, 2012 6:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
Sid Sideslip

Postby RCModelReviews » Fri Jan 13, 2012 6:10 am

It may just have a diode in the circuit -- I'll check on my one tomorrow and post my findings.
RCModelReviews

Postby Sid Sideslip » Fri Jan 13, 2012 6:34 am

RCModelReviews wrote:It may just have a diode in the circuit -- I'll check on my one tomorrow and post my findings.

I rigged up a storage-charged lipo to the Tx and got 11.43V going in and 11.1V coming out on the camera connection.
Sid Sideslip

PreviousNext

Return to FPV