My First Build: AXN Floater-Jet, Need Parts Help

Here's an area where you can ask any kind of question about RC models and find a whole lot of useful information to help you get started.

My First Build: AXN Floater-Jet, Need Parts Help

Postby BassKozz » Sun Jan 15, 2012 8:29 pm

For Christmas I received a RC Champ RTF, and I got bored with it's speed and lack of manuverability, so I have decided to take a step up to an AXN Floater-Jet thanks to the rave reviews I saw on the RCModelReviews & xjet channels on youtube.

So I have my parts list which I have mostly taken from the AXN Clouds Fly Floater Jet RC plane build videos:

I am missing 3 important things that I need some advice on:
  1. What receiver should I purchase?
    - The (part1) video states he is using a hobbyking 6 channel for the build but he uses a freesky(spelling?) 4channel in his own AXN.
    -- What is the difference between the 4 & 6 channel?
    -- What are the part numbers?
  2. What remote control should I purchase?
    - I would like to purchase a remote control that I won't grow out of and I can use as a progress in this hobby.
  3. My parts list contains the fiber tape, thread locker & velcro, since this is my first build I don't really have any tools, is there anything else you recommend I pick up to make repairs?
    - There is also mention of an XD60 (spelling?) connector for the ESC in the part2 video, what is the part number for this?

Thanks to all who have viewed this post, and I appreciate any/all feedback.
-BassKozz
Last edited by BassKozz on Sun Jan 15, 2012 9:23 pm, edited 2 times in total.
BassKozz

Re: My First Build: AXN Floater-Jet, Need Parts Help

Postby RCModelReviews » Sun Jan 15, 2012 9:00 pm

BassKozz wrote:I am missing 3 important things that I need some advice on:
[list=1]
[*]What receiver should I purchase?

This depends entirely on what type of transmitter you have. There is virtually no compatibility between different brands of radios so you need to ensure your receiver is the same as your transmitte.

[*]What remote control should I purchase?

The Turnigy 9X represents the best value on the market at the moment -- but there's often a bit of a wait because they are usually on back-order and it can take some weeks for those back-orders to be filled.

Since lots of people have been asking -- I'm working on a full "parts list and links to them" article that should be up on the website this week that will direct you to the best parts and some possible alternatives if they are not in stock.
RCModelReviews.com, just the facts.
RCModelReviews

Postby BassKozz » Sun Jan 15, 2012 9:11 pm

RCModelReviews wrote:Since lots of people have been asking -- I'm working on a full "parts list and links to them" article that should be up on the website this week that will direct you to the best parts and some possible alternatives if they are not in stock.

Perfect, just what I was going to suggest. :D
Please let me know once this list is complete, I will hold off on my purchase for now.
Thanks
BassKozz

Postby hakank » Mon Jan 16, 2012 4:58 pm

I don't want to belittle Bruce's excellent reviews and work he put into his videos but there is actually a dedicated wiki for the AXN floater to be found here:
http://beta.ivc.no/wiki/index.php/AXN_Clouds_Fly
Although I'm quiet familiar putting ARF's together I used that one together with Bruce's AXN build videos when I finished mine.

I went for a performance setup. Having my previous success with Scorpion motors, which really can't be compared with the cheap ones, in mind I opted for a Scorpion SII-2212-1850KV V2 and a 6X5.5 APC prop. I'm using a 4 cell 1800mAh 20C Turnigy acc and get very nice performance. However this motor alone is the same cost as the AXN itself but I consider it an investment ;) When I need flying time instead of performance, using it for video for example, I just use a 3 cell 2200mAh acc. This setup is basically waiting for Bruce to finish the series about FPV so I can go ahead start off that project.

/Håkan
hakank

Postby rogueqd » Tue Jan 17, 2012 2:27 am

BassKozz wrote:My parts list contains the fiber tape, thread locker & velcro, since this is my first build I don't really have any tools, is there anything else you recommend I pick up to make repairs?

Here's a list to get you started.

"Basic" Supplies:
Extra glue - "white tube" glue, hot glue and super glue
Clear packing tape (like fiber tape but without the fibers)
Velcro
Fiber tape
Thread lock (blue, not red)
Solder
Heat shrink (3mm & 5mm)
Servo extension leads (useful for the wire as well as the plugs, get long ones)
3S balance cable extension leads
12 gauge wire (for power leads)
Spare servos

Tools in rough order of usefulness:
Precision screwdriver set
Hobby knife + extra blades
Cutting mat
Soldering iron
Hot glue gun
Normal screwdriver set
Long nose pliers
Digital multimeter
Digital calipers
"Helping hands" soldering tool
Prop balancer
Digital scales
Watt meter
rogueqd

Return to For Beginners (if you're just getting started in RC)