Aw man, Remzibi OSD dead?

To discuss all things relating to flying models via remote video

Aw man, Remzibi OSD dead?

Postby Sid Sideslip » Sat Jan 21, 2012 10:31 pm

After installing the Remzibi OSD to my axn yesterday, I tested it outside to see if all worked. The OSD overlay was fine, but although the GPS unit was registering satellites and would auto save home when it got six (or save home when I pressed the button) I noticed that my heading reading was always zero degrees, no matter what direction I put the model it.

Anyway, I brought it all inside and hooked up the OSD to my computer and ran the GPS emulator, which worked fine. The OSD would show heading changes, altitude, speed etc through the goggles. But when I tried it again outside with the GPS module I still had no heading change.

Back to the computer, again watching the output through the FatSharks. But I then had no video overlay! I was still getting video just fine, but no sign of any OSD information at all.

The Remzibi still communicates fine with the configuration software and I can upload and download files...I even re-flashed the firmware. But still no overlay on the video out.

I'm guessing the thing is fubar, plus it also seems the GPS module was not communicating properly anyway, before the overlay stopped working (though I get the red LED on the GPS unit). I've checked and re-checked all the wiring and even the 5V supply to the OSD board. All was OK.

What a bummer, as I was going flying this morning as the weather is fine.

Anybody got any ideas as to what it might be and anything else I could try?
What goes up...better bloody stay up (until I say otherwise).
Sid Sideslip

Re: Aw man, Remzibi OSD dead?

Postby rogueqd » Sat Jan 21, 2012 10:49 pm

You realise that the plane has to be moving to get a heading right?

Also, make sure you're not keeping it in programming mode, and I'm sure you have but double check your wiring.

Lastly, and I hope this isn't the case, but I soldered a heat sink on mine and in the process I think I melted a track somewhere on the board and now my home button doesn't work. It's annoying as I can't change any settings anymore, but it still works for flying. Possibly you have the reverse problem, where yours is permanently stuck in programming mode? I hope I'm wrong.
rogueqd

Postby Sid Sideslip » Sun Jan 22, 2012 5:30 am

You realise that the plane has to be moving to get a heading right?[/quote]

Er, no. My experience with GPS is limited, mostly to my phone....*noob blush*

rogueqd wrote:Also, make sure you're not keeping it in programming mode, and I'm sure you have but double check your wiring.

I checked of course, but the wiring hadn't changed from when it worked.

Lastly, and I hope this isn't the case, but I soldered a heat sink on mine and in the process I think I melted a track somewhere on the board and now my home button doesn't work. It's annoying as I can't change any settings anymore, but it still works for flying. Possibly you have the reverse problem, where yours is permanently stuck in programming mode? I hope I'm wrong.[/quote]

No, I haven't soldered any heatsinks in yet.

BUT, after hours of fiddling around I eventually got it to work. After trying all sorts of different things and getting no on-screen text at all (including trolling through the MAX 7456 manual and sending all sorts of commands to the OSD chip) I found that I at least got text on the goggles when the camera was disconnected. I finally found out it was a combination of the wrong driver (a known bug) and the fact that I had the software configuration view mode set to NTSC before I downloaded my settings to the OSD.

I don't know whether to feel idiotic or elated, so I'll go with the latter.

Anyway, all good now, so I'm opening the bar to celebrate. Phew.

P.S. I am so going to change the eye-pieces in the FatShark googles, the chromatic aberration with those crap plastic magnifiers is unbearable. I'll start looking at suitable glass online once I know what I need (i.e how big the LCD panels are and the needed focusing range etc) and will mount all the guts in a a pair of ski-goggles, so I can have pin sharp imaging of the LCDs, proper focusing adjustment and also be able to wear my glasses (so no need for astigmatic correction on the eyepieces for my eyes).
Sid Sideslip

Postby RCModelReviews » Mon Jan 23, 2012 1:40 am

If you're going to all that trouble Sid you might as well just make the 3D FPV video visor.

I'm now stuck waiting for a part to arrive from China for this project but it doesn't seem to have made it out before the Chinese New Year -- damn and blast!
RCModelReviews.com, just the facts.
RCModelReviews

Postby Sid Sideslip » Mon Jan 23, 2012 1:50 am

RCModelReviews wrote:If you're going to all that trouble Sid you might as well just make the 3D FPV video visor.

I'm now stuck waiting for a part to arrive from China for this project but it doesn't seem to have made it out before the Chinese New Year -- damn and blast!

3D is definitely the way to go. But it'll be a little while before I can get together two cameras and the rest of the gear. It'll be fun to see how you go with it though, because if all works OK (and there is no reason it shouldn't) it will be awesome.
Sid Sideslip

Postby chrisjunkie » Mon Jan 23, 2012 8:14 am

When you guys talk about 3D, do you mean multiple cameras or actually flying on a 3D platform like an extra? Or both?
chrisjunkie

Postby Sid Sideslip » Mon Jan 23, 2012 10:22 am

chrisjunkie wrote:When you guys talk about 3D, do you mean multiple cameras or actually flying on a 3D platform like an extra? Or both?

We mean stereoscopic 3D, like binoculars or 3D movies, not 3D capable aerobatic r/c planes.

Specifically, two video cameras, two transmitters and receivers, giving two separate images for right and left eye via separate LCD panels.
Sid Sideslip

Postby rogueqd » Mon Jan 23, 2012 10:48 am

Sid Sideslip wrote:Er, no. My experience with GPS is limited, mostly to my phone....*noob blush*

All the GPS does is send XYZ coordinates to the OSD (roughly). The OSD compares the latest set of coordinates to the previous one and calculates your speed and heading from that. So you have to be moving or your heading calculates to 0. Your speed also calculates to 0 but luckily for the OSD that is correct. :)
rogueqd

Postby Keith » Mon Jan 23, 2012 12:29 pm

I have just started Geocaching... Many times you start off in the direction of the arrow on the GPS to find it turn 180 degrees when it recognizes movement...
If anyone is feeling a bit paranoid....BEHIND YOU....
Keith

Return to FPV