FVP "Googles"

To discuss all things relating to flying models via remote video

FVP "Googles"

Postby RodYoung » Wed Feb 01, 2012 12:27 am

Stereoscopic "googles", for FVP, has been commented on in the web for over a year or so now but nothing to market from a quick look of the web. What has been done is cutting two fat sharks up and taking the inputs from two cameras on a plane and passing them into each glasses unit separately while looking at the left eye from one unit and the right eye from the other unit. 2012 may be the year of the stereoscopic "googles" or glasses or wrap arounds or peepers or veiwers, to be set up and sold. 16 hours on the web, over 48 hours 28-29 Jan 2012, has shown that FVP needs to start with stereoscopic googles supported by a signal from two receivers on the ground and use of two channel to transmit in the air captured by two cameras. The person who sets this up seemlessly will have a product to sell off the shelf that can be used in many circumstances. Problems to look out for would be compatability between parts. This inventive step will be worth patenting as the run on the product will be instaintaneous, sustained and profitable. A combination arrangment could be set up but best for now is to look at one system approach. Improvements would be to have micro servers on the two cameras that have presets like opposite 180 degrees, both forward facing, one forward and one rear, one left up and one right down. This could be used by putting the plane in safe mode and then turn the contols over to ajusting the cameras. Simple "mono scopic googles" could be used for this with a switcher between the two cameras (stereoscopic only works when both face 'forward, in the same plane). A new train of electronics will be needed to deliver this to the ground. Instead of having two circuit boards doubled up, twice the weight, volume and windage, the newer system can be compactified (not in the sense of after a crash) so that for little difference in what presently is needed the system looks and acts much the same. Consider the audio industry and how one speaker on a valve set became one speaker on a portable transister radio and then the walkman was launched and apple has rounded off the stereo sound revolution with the iphone. The same is avout to happen with the stereoscopic FPV that has just started sending pictures back in real time in mono. The future will be looking in the fridge to see what food you might like to get off the couch to go and retrieve. lol. BB is my nick name from Tok club after two days observing. I got married, sat on the couch and "neck minute" I was a BB. :-). I hope this helps. Set up this new topic because it will be fundamental in time to advancement in rounding out a good marketable product. At the moment the cost of a FPV mono system with mono googles, receiver, camera, Tx, battaries and wires is ($us 300+100+50+50+100=$600). The stereo scopic system is lacking the SS-Googles, but all the rest is on the market with an increase of $150 in price for the most budget model. $750 minus the stereo tweek in the googles is what a 300m to 1500m system may cost. Lets see how low we can get this and how high we can raise the quality in 18 months from now. The whole world of sports opens up when "Stereo flying" starts. Slaylum courses start up off the ground a few meters. distance races around markers and back to base. Altertude climbs at speed, but with all this safety regulations must also be considered. I like the sport of a helium baloon in the centre of an empty hanger and one has to "stereo fly" into the hagger at top speed and 360 degree turn around the balloon before exiting the hannger to go onto the next haggen in a list of 3-5 hangers. Popping the balloon or touching the walls is disqualification. without stereo flying abilities this is not as accurate or comfortable and may not hacve been tried because of the limitations of MONO. Let us go STEREO FLYING today. BB Saluting you and your welcome to FVP development. What does not crash us makes us fly longer! :-)BB
RodYoung

Re: FVP "Googles"

Postby RodYoung » Mon Feb 06, 2012 10:18 am

This is the best video yet (feb 2012) of what stereoscopic FPV flight looks like. Check out this video on YouTube:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1HvWHSLd ... ata_player

Sent from my iPad. Rod (BB) :mrgreen:
RodYoung

Postby TailspinTommy » Mon Feb 06, 2012 12:43 pm

It's something that no doubt will happen in time as the hardware evolves but there are some reservations, cost is probably foremost, and questionable whether there is any huge advantage. ie you could have a simple mono or colour fpv system but record hd to disc/card directly from two airborne cameras, so capturing hd 3d for later playback. this would keep the fpv side of things as simple as single channel non hd video.

Problems I see with fpv video is the wide bandwidth, which I believe needs to be 20 MHz even for bottom end 720 hd, and two such spaced channels would presumably be required per system (with no cross talk). extra weight, twice the current draw etc. So I can see that (at least in the near future) that such a system will be much more expensive than current systems.
Another drawback I experienced recently after trying out a friends hd 3d tv, is eyestrain. there are even warnings about it in the literature. Not sure just how much this would affect a 10 min flight though.

you wouldn't get a patent for that in the uk either, "prior art" (been done before in both movies and on tv).
TailspinTommy

Postby BillGriffiths100 » Mon Feb 06, 2012 2:54 pm

Problems I see with fpv video is the wide bandwidth, which I believe needs to be 20 MHz even for bottom end 720 hd

Terrestrial digital TV compresses the data and transmits only the changes from one frame to another cutting the required bandwidth. This could also be done for FPV. Essentially current FPV systems are using outdated analogue technology.
This is where research and development of a viable system of digital encoding and data compression would yield benefits.
Compromising with out of control government is like living with a lion, sooner or later the bloody thing will eat you .

You accept the tyranny of the state when it's not being applied to you, when it is: it's too late.
BillGriffiths100

Postby TailspinTommy » Mon Feb 06, 2012 9:25 pm

Bill, There are stereo camcorders available now, single camera, single lens! 3d effect Must be done electronically!
Think playback works on the principle of the playback device sending switching signals to synchronize the Goggles to the tv! Maybe it's alternate frame switching...
TailspinTommy

Postby rogueqd » Tue Feb 07, 2012 12:05 am

You can't do 3D with a single lens.

Edit: Ok, you can with a still camera by taking two photos and moving the camera in between, but for video you must have two lenses.
rogueqd

Postby TailspinTommy » Tue Feb 07, 2012 8:14 am

You can't do 3D with a single lens.

Yes I would have agreed with that, until I was shown a single lens 3d system!
I 'll see if I can find out more, and maybe a clip...
TailspinTommy

Postby BillGriffiths100 » Tue Feb 07, 2012 10:35 am

I was referring to the compression required in the RF bandwidth to enable more than one FPV flyer to operate simultaneously.
I cannot see how a single lens camera would give 3d. 3d effects maybe but not real 3d.
Our brain constructs an image from our eyes with depth information because they are spaced apart, our estimation of depth and distance is based on a triangulation done in the brain.
You won't find many RC pilots with one eye flying successfully, although it is possible to drive a car with one eye only, by constantly moving the head slightly it is possible to get an idea of depth perception.
Compromising with out of control government is like living with a lion, sooner or later the bloody thing will eat you .

You accept the tyranny of the state when it's not being applied to you, when it is: it's too late.
BillGriffiths100

Postby TailspinTommy » Tue Feb 07, 2012 2:12 pm

I happened to meet the guy with the 3d system today, so here is an overview of how it works:

single Lens housing has two optics separated by only about 20mm, must have some sort of prism in it which directs the two images onto the two halves of the ccd. Ie what is recorded are two normal colour images side by side (each image squashed horizontally by 50% in order to fit on the ccd).

Playback from the camera shows two images side by side.

Play back on the tv: the tv horizontally expands the two images back to normal aspect ratio (and presumably overlays them)
The tv controls the spectacles by IR, Think it alternately blanks out each lens (spectacles have lenses, not lcds)

Watching tv with this system is as good as if you are watching full 3D. Think Panasonic and Sony have decided to use slightly differing coding methods as the two systems are incompatible (so nothing new here! ha!).

There are some drawbacks. Because the ccd is simultaneously recording two images in 50% split mode, HD is not possible in 3D.
TV must be compatible with camera..

Camera was 1100 GBP Stereo lens 450 GBP, don't know what the tv cost...
Attachments
3d_1.jpg
3d_1.jpg (121.89 KiB) Viewed 12000 times
TailspinTommy

Postby TailspinTommy » Tue Feb 07, 2012 2:15 pm

Could only upload one image at a time.
Here is a front view of the lens.
Attachments
3d_2.jpg
3d_2.jpg (94.34 KiB) Viewed 11999 times
TailspinTommy