Trim Issue with ER9x

Here's an area where you can ask any kind of question about RC models and find a whole lot of useful information to help you get started.

Trim Issue with ER9x

Postby GRM » Wed Feb 01, 2012 4:46 am

I have a Turnigy 9x which I’ve upgraded to ER9x through the addition of the smartieparts board.

Prior to the upgrade trim on my sky surfer was all fine.

After the upgrade however the servos are no longer at the zero setting (ie arm at right angles to the servo) when the sticks on the 9x are centred, and the range of motion of the server arms is not full range they previously were.

I think that this is probably due to the mixes being changed/added to whenever I set ER9x to be a simple 4 channel tx.

Anyhow, how do I go about correcting this – so that the plane is properly trimmed with the servos arms centred ?

Any help appreciated.
GRM

Re: Trim Issue with ER9x

Postby kaptain_zero » Wed Feb 01, 2012 5:46 am

Well, my first instinct is to ask if you have calibrated your transmitter after installing ER9X. If you have not done so, go into your radio setup and then to the last screen where it deals with calibrating and just follow the instructions.

Now, as this is ER9X specific, you might wish to check out the ER9X forums where you are more likely to get quick help with ER9X specific problems. Now, having said that... I'm still happy to help as much as I can, I'm just not an expert on the matter though I do use ER9X.

One other thing that comes to mind... I seem to recall hearing something about creating a model from scratch in eepe where if you then upload it to the radio, it does not take the calibration into account.... or was it the other way around?!?! I'm not sure about it, nor do I know if it was addressed in an update or........ I dunno for sure, it just sounded like a possible cause of your issue....

Personally, I create my model in the radio, then download into eepe and edit it and then write it back to the radio.... I never seem to have any issues like you are having.

Regards

Christian
"I'd like to live as a poor man with lots of money."
-- Pablo Picasso
kaptain_zero

Postby GRM » Wed Feb 01, 2012 9:53 am

kaptain_zero wrote:Well, my first instinct is to ask if you have calibrated your transmitter after installing ER9X.

No I haven't done that so I'll give it a try.

kaptain_zero wrote:you might wish to check out the ER9X forums

Didn't know about that forum so if I can't figure it out I'll see if I can see a related post there.

I understand that ER9x has some magic trim function - so that once in the air on level flight you press som button and the trim is stored in the radio. Will also try that when I do finally get the plane up.

Anyhow thanks for your reply appreciated !
GRM

Postby rogueqd » Wed Feb 01, 2012 10:00 am

+1 for calibrating first, I think that will fix your problem.

The "magic trim function" just copies your current stick positions (inc trim) to the midpoints setting in the Limits screen and then zeros your trim settings. You can do it on the ground as well, just use trim to get the surfaces flat then hit the switch. That way you have less trimming to do in the air.
rogueqd

Postby BillGriffiths100 » Wed Feb 01, 2012 2:43 pm

Extract from the manual:
Calibration (6/6)
CALIBRATION
This screen allows you to calibrate the analog channels (A1..A7).
The calibration method goes like this:
1. Press [DOWN] → (SetMid)
2. Set Sticks to center. (Including throttle and pots)
3. Press [DOWN] → (SetSpan)
4. Move sticks and pots through full range.
5. Press [DOWN] → (Done) – Values are saved here.
6. Press [DOWN] (Back to top)
The values are calculated when you press [DOWN].
They are saved when you press [DOWN] to (Done).
(Works surprisingly well for a cheap Chinese Tx)
Compromising with out of control government is like living with a lion, sooner or later the bloody thing will eat you .

You accept the tyranny of the state when it's not being applied to you, when it is: it's too late.
BillGriffiths100

Postby Sid Sideslip » Wed Feb 01, 2012 11:23 pm

With my version of ER9X, if you set up a mix on the computer using ePee and download it to the 9x Tx it will overwrite your trim settings. The correct order is to upload your model files to ePee first, make any changes and then download them back to the 9x transmitter.
What goes up...better bloody stay up (until I say otherwise).
Sid Sideslip

Postby GRM » Thu Feb 02, 2012 2:00 am

rogueqd wrote:Calibration (6/6)
CALIBRATION
This screen allows you to calibrate the analog channels (A1..A7).
The calibration method goes like this:
1. Press [DOWN] → (SetMid)
2. Set Sticks to center. (Including throttle and pots)
3. Press [DOWN] → (SetSpan)
4. Move sticks and pots through full range.
5. Press [DOWN] → (Done) – Values are saved here.
6. Press [DOWN] (Back to top)
The values are calculated when you press [DOWN].
They are saved when you press [DOWN] to (Done).

Thanks for posting this - but I'm not sure what all this refers to.

Are channels A1..7 for a used to control Rudder Throttle Elevator Aileron ? What does setmid mean - set a stick to the middle position I assume ? What does setspan mean ? Which pots are being referred to ?

It's a little cryptic

Anyhow - thanks for posting I'll look deeper into the manual.
GRM

Return to For Beginners (if you're just getting started in RC)