Gruvin9x alternative 9x mainboard PCB - FrSky Telemetery

If you want to see a product reviewed on RCModelReviews, make your suggestion here and, if there's enough interest, I'll see what I can do.

Gruvin9x alternative 9x mainboard PCB - FrSky Telemetery

Postby pldb64 » Tue Jan 31, 2012 5:13 am

Hi Bruce,

I'd like to put forward the GRUVIN9x alternative main PCB board that (as i understand it) replaces the main PCB board on a standard Turnigy 9x Tx.

As i understand it, the good folks behind this project have added significant functionality to the main board in particular to enable Tx integration with various Telemetery capabilities like those found in your favorite FrSky 2.4 DIY kits.

As i presume you're aware - the Gruvin9x branch is part of the ER9x stream of development for the Turnigy 9x devices but has a specific interest in the FrSky Telemetery support. The new board seems to have been bourne out of that line of development. I believe it make a number of the finiky h/w mods that you need to make to a standard Turnigy board to enable Telemetery redundant.

The link i have is as follows:

code.google.com/p/gruvin9x/wiki/PCB

I'd be very interested to see a review of this direction of the opensource activities (should it be consistent with your current endeavours).

THanks
Peter
Turnigy 9x, FrSky 2-Way/Telemetry DHT DIY, Smartieparts BRD, ER9x FW
AXN-Floater (stock esc, motor & prop, HK orange 9g servos)
pldb64

Re: Gruvin9x alternative 9x mainboard PCB - FrSky Telemetery

Postby BillGriffiths100 » Wed Feb 01, 2012 12:02 pm

Having gone to all that trouble why don't they design their own transmitter case and add all the telemetry screens and extra controls they could have without the case limitations.
Compromising with out of control government is like living with a lion, sooner or later the bloody thing will eat you .

You accept the tyranny of the state when it's not being applied to you, when it is: it's too late.
BillGriffiths100

Postby pldb64 » Thu Feb 02, 2012 1:57 am

Hi Bill,

I can only assume from my reading of the projects history, that the replacement PCB board was something that "evolved". I don't think those behind the project were looking to branch out into plastics fabrication and everything else that would be required to build a completely new Tx.

I'm interested as to what you see the limitations of the 9x as being? Can you give me some reference point so i know where you're coming from?

Thanks
Peter
pldb64

Postby BillGriffiths100 » Thu Feb 02, 2012 5:14 pm

Hello Peter,
I'm being kind of sarcastic in that the 9x with the er9x code pretty much gives me all I could want in a transmitter.
Adding more seems over the top! I have the FrSky telemetry fld-02 screen it interfaces directly with the module without further reference to the transmitter and gives all the feedback I think I will ever need.
I know its interesting to indulge in a project like this but it is a radio control transmitter, and how many things can you do with it while you are flying your plane? You will need extra hands and brain enhancement to make use of many more functions and an extra eye for the telemetry!
If you are really making all these enhancements presumably for FPV why not have a custom transmitter console with everything built in with extra sticks for camera control etc.
It doesn't have to be moulded plastic it could be made of folded metal and plastic like the Tx's of the 70-80's
My best enhancement now on the standard Tx would be stronger springs on the sticks.
Regards,
Bill
Compromising with out of control government is like living with a lion, sooner or later the bloody thing will eat you .

You accept the tyranny of the state when it's not being applied to you, when it is: it's too late.
BillGriffiths100

Postby quarry44 » Thu Feb 02, 2012 6:23 pm

I have to agree with Bill on the stick springs,they are way too soft.I'm sure I've got some Futaba ones laying around,I'll see if I can fit them to the 9x.
quarry44

Postby kaptain_zero » Thu Feb 02, 2012 7:48 pm

Radio South heavy duty replacement transmitter springs were reported somewhere (probably on RCGroups) to work in the 9x and improve the feel. I'm thinking of getting some to try.

Radio South Parts Page.

Regards

Christian
"I'd like to live as a poor man with lots of money."
-- Pablo Picasso
kaptain_zero

Postby pldb64 » Fri Feb 03, 2012 2:14 am

Bill,

Would you be able to provide me with some links/details to the telemetry setup your using? I've avoided making any of the 9x mods that i've seen around the place to enable the Tx to use the Telemetery data as i perceived the changes as being too complex/risky. If you've got a setup that is independent of making changes to the Tx, then i'd be most interested.

I'd like to get at least the basics working. I'm not flying FPV yet but thats the longer term objective. I am using FrSky two way receivers - i just need to understand how to set them up in a simple manner.

Pointers much appreciated

Thanks
Peter
pldb64

Postby BillGriffiths100 » Fri Feb 03, 2012 9:51 am

Hi Peter,
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/stor ... creen.html
This plugs straight to the pins on the telemetry module or hack module it gives received signal strength straight away.
You have to add:
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/stor ... _Hub_.html
and extra sensors you may want this see this page:
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/stor ... metry.html.
When connected to the RX they then pop up on the display with no further hacking required.
Regards,
Bill

BillGriffiths100

Postby BillGriffiths100 » Fri Feb 03, 2012 10:10 am

kaptain_zero wrote:Radio South heavy duty replacement transmitter springs were reported somewhere (probably on RCGroups) to work in the 9x and improve the feel. I'm thinking of getting some to try.

Radio South Parts Page.

Regards

Christian

There are two more things that excite a man expensive springs and real expensive springs!

Shop around first Christian
I bought a plastic box of 150 springs from a local hobby store for less than those three springs.
Am-Tech stock code S6210 from Hobbys model trade supplies in Knight Hill Square South London www.hobby.uk.com
Eight of those springs are right for the job and I've got masses left over for making a grandfather clock etc...

BillGriffiths100

Postby pldb64 » Mon Feb 06, 2012 1:44 am

Bill,

Thanks for the info on the FLD-02 - agreed - it looks like the simplest option for telemetry if you already have the FrSky module or DIY kit.

Given that it doesn't come with any mounting brackets etc, i'm curious as to any experience you can offer as to how/where to mount it. I've got the FrSky DIY kit install inside the radio so i'll have to find a way to run the cable from the inside to the additional screen. Do you have any pics of how/where you've mounted your screen?

THanks
Peter
pldb64

Next

Return to Suggest a review