Spektrum AR500

Here's an area where you can ask any kind of question about RC models and find a whole lot of useful information to help you get started.

Spektrum AR500

Postby Nosedown » Tue Feb 07, 2012 4:33 pm

Hi,
Brief history: Brand new E-Flite Apprentice + Spektrum gear for Christmas 2010. Flew next day, in trainer mode, with very experienced 'pilot'. Aircraft (all distance control checks carried out) crashed shortly after takeoff - nose dived, on gentle right turn, straight into ground. Took about 3 months to get parts and repair. Not flown again until early Jan 2012 although 'lots and lots' of ground taxiing carried out in time from repair until Jan 2012.
Early Jan 2012: With very experienced 'pilot' attempted flight again, after extensive ground checks that all systems operated - take-off impressive followed by an uncontrollable right turn straight into ground. A/C not damaged (wing dislodged but not a problem to relocate). Second attempt - same as the first - take-off OK and 50 yards out uncontrollable right turn into ground.
Feb 2012: Minor repairs carried out. While checking systems noted that ailerons didn't work (they worked fine on ground checks) - rudder/elevator/throttle all OK.
Receiver 're-binded' - same.
I'm getting a bit frustrated with having an aircraft which has a good reputation crash on it's only 3 flights in 2 years. During the 2 years I've been flying other aircraft quite successfully so don't think it's 'me' now!
I'll appreciate any comments/suggestions?
Thanks,
Nosedown.
Nosedown

Re: Spektrum AR500

Postby zerodrag » Wed Feb 08, 2012 3:15 am

Hi have you had you reciever checked out as lot of bad feedback with the AR500, including myself have had "brownouts" (indicated by flashing LED on reciever)causing momentarily loss of control of plane. I ended up changing to a different model reciever and my AR500 was only a couple of months old.
zerodrag

Postby cynr100 » Wed Feb 08, 2012 8:57 am

Have not been in this sport/hobby for very long but am increasing reliant on this forum. If you are using an AR500 have you checked here
http://www.rcmodelreviews.com/ar500problem2.shtml
If it helps don't forget the little button that says "Donate"
Not enough time in the day for all my crazy ideas, I'm not slow, I'm just pacing myself
cynr100

Postby Nosedown » Wed Feb 08, 2012 3:03 pm

Thanks zerodrag and cynr100: In the last couple of days I've recharged battery, made and remade all connections and the ailerons then worked. However, I taxied the a/c several times and operated the ailerons while it was moving - they reacted sometimes and sometimes did not. As the 'Apprentice' uses a Y cable and both ailerons are plugged into the same output on the receiver, I have now plugged the Y cable into the other aileron connection on the receiver. I spent half an hour this morning taxiing, distance checking and operating the ailerons and they operated all the time without problem. Could I have a bad/intermittent channel/output on the receiver? - Seems likely. Anyway, next opportunity (maybe today) we're going to try and fly again - will advise what happens! Thaks again for your help.
Nosedown

Postby Nosedown » Fri Feb 10, 2012 8:58 pm

Update: Flew twice today with no problems! Unfortunately I was clumsy enough to break the nose wheel steering link on the last heavy landing and the plane tumbled but only has superficial damage - LOL!
Nosedown

Return to For Beginners (if you're just getting started in RC)