FPV Regulated in your Country?

To discuss all things relating to flying models via remote video

Re: FPV Regulated in your Country?

Postby Yellowirenut » Tue Feb 07, 2012 8:51 pm

Congress has passed a bill that reauthorizes the FAA. (2-7-2012) In that bill are "provision aimed at protecting model aviation from burdensome regulations"
http://www.modelaircraft.org/files/medi ... e-bill.pdf

I am looking up the bill now to see if there are any specifics or if its just unreadable legal mumbo jumbo.

ok i read threw -SEC. 324. PUBLIC UNMANNED AIRCRAFT SYSTEMS.

Its just guidelines on WHAT the FAA should look into and that they have 270 day s to do so.

SEC. 324. PUBLIC UNMANNED AIRCRAFT SYSTEMS.

(a) Guidance- Not later than 270 days after the date of enactment of this Act, the Secretary of Transportation shall issue guidance regarding the operation of public unmanned aircraft systems to--

(1) expedite the issuance of a certificate of authorization process;

(2) provide for a collaborative process with public agencies to allow for an incremental expansion of access to the national airspace system as technology matures, as the necessary safety analysis and data become available, and until standards are completed and technology issues are resolved;

(3) facilitate the capability of public agencies to develop and use test ranges, subject to operating restrictions required by the Federal Aviation Administration, to test and operate unmanned aircraft systems; and

(4) provide guidance on a public entity's responsibility when operating an unmanned aircraft without a civil airworthiness certificate issued by the Federal Aviation Administration.

(b) Standards for Operation and Certification- Not later than December 31, 2015, the Secretary shall develop and implement operational and certification requirements for operational procedures for public unmanned aircraft systems in the national airspace system.

(c) Agreements With Government Agencies-

(1) IN GENERAL- Not later than 90 days after the date of enactment of this Act, the Secretary shall enter into agreements with appropriate government agencies to simplify the process for issuing certificates of waiver or authorization with respect to applications seeking authorization to operate public unmanned aircraft systems in the national airspace system.

(2) CONTENTS- The agreements shall--

(A) with respect to an application described in paragraph (1)--

(i) provide for an expedited review of the application;

(ii) require a decision by the Administrator on approval or disapproval within 60 business days of the date of submission of the application; and

(iii) allow for an expedited appeal if the application is disapproved;

(B) allow for a one-time approval of similar operations carried out during a fixed period of time; and

(C) allow a government public safety agency to operate unmanned aircraft weighing 4.4 pounds or less, within the line of sight of the operator, less than 400 feet above the ground during daylight conditions, within Class G airspace, outside of 5 statute miles from any airport, heliport, seaplane base or spaceport, or any location with aviation activities.
Yellowirenut

Postby mkuvy » Tue Feb 07, 2012 9:11 pm

RCModelReviews wrote:I'm thinking about holding a big FPV fly-in at our field -- perhaps that'll be a great venue to discuss the options with like-minded souls while also proving to "the powers that be" we can act responsibly and fly safely with all this new technology.

Will gladly join too. I'm in Cambridge, so it's just an hour drive. Is there a mailing list or RSS feed for SWMAC event announcements?
mkuvy

Postby RCModelReviews » Thu Feb 09, 2012 6:46 am

We'll make an announcement on the club website and I'll also mention it here when the date for the FPV fly-in is finalised.
RCModelReviews.com, just the facts.
RCModelReviews

Postby dannyzz » Thu Feb 09, 2012 9:01 am

RCModelReviews wrote:We'll make an announcement on the club website and I'll also mention it here when the date for the FPV fly-in is finalised.

Awesome
dannyzz

Postby dannyzz » Thu Feb 09, 2012 9:09 am

Just a quick question would i need to be registered with the NZMAA something about 3rd party insurance to go to the event?
dannyzz

Postby RCModelReviews » Thu Feb 09, 2012 8:04 pm

Yes, NZMAA/MFNZ insurance would be a requirement -- just in case.
RCModelReviews.com, just the facts.
RCModelReviews

Postby Flash1940 » Thu Feb 09, 2012 8:45 pm

The present administration here in the United States has expanded the reach of government beyond any sane person's imagination. More I.R.S. agents.....E.P.A. regulators on every street corner protecting tiny fish & lizards......you name it.....regulation out the wazoo ! And now FAA decides to regulate model aircraft.....which could restrict the equipment you could buy.....type of glue you use.....the materials you make the model of.....there's no end to it once their teeth are into it. The FAA has enough to do in keeping up with general aviation and commercial aviation. We have a few sleeping pilots and controllers over here. Some aren't sober ! In my viewpoint.....the FAA doesn't have the time or personnel available to regulate model airplanes. Just think.....if somebody didn't behave just right....the FAA could shut down a large model event....like Joe Nall or SEFF....or the NATS. Example: Federal agents took wood from the Gibson guitar factory....and forced all the employees out in the parking lot while armed guards confiscated rosewood being used to manufacture the fret boards. Ridiculous ! It seemed that the LACEY ACT http://blog.heritage.org/tag/lacey-act/ had been violated.
I got an email yesterday from the AMA (American Modelers Association) that indicated that there was a bill presented to the House that would protect model aviation from any FAA regulation. I'm hoping this comes true. The AMA does a good job keeping all us modelers safe....and also keeps spectators safe at the big events.

Flash
Flash1940

Postby ergocentric » Fri Feb 10, 2012 9:20 pm

RCModelReviews wrote:Yes, NZMAA/MFNZ insurance would be a requirement -- just in case.

Here's hoping your insurer never watches youTube
unconcerned but not indifferent - MAN RAY
ergocentric

Postby ergocentric » Fri Feb 10, 2012 9:24 pm

Flash1940 wrote:I got an email yesterday from the AMA (American Modelers Association) that indicated that there was a bill presented to the House that would protect model aviation from any FAA regulation. I'm hoping this comes true. The AMA does a good job keeping all us modelers safe....and also keeps spectators safe at the big events.

So the FAA would no longer protect the airspace of small airports?

Here in Canada some clubs fly at and/or beside small airports, looks like our host flies at an airport too.
unconcerned but not indifferent - MAN RAY
ergocentric

Postby Yellowirenut » Sat Feb 11, 2012 12:33 am

No there are rules for airports that govern model flight near airports.

this is what the bill says exactly. This is the final version just needs signed by Pres O
SEC. 336. SPECIAL RULE FOR MODEL AIRCRAFT.
(a) IN GENERAL.—Notwithstanding any other provision of law
relating to the incorporation of unmanned aircraft systems into
Federal Aviation Administration plans and policies, including this
subtitle, the Administrator of the Federal Aviation Administration
may not promulgate any rule or regulation regarding a model
aircraft, or an aircraft being developed as a model aircraft, if—
(1) the aircraft is flown strictly for hobby or recreational
use;
(2) the aircraft is operated in accordance with a community based
set of safety guidelines and within the programming
of a nationwide community-based organization;
(3) the aircraft is limited to not more than 55 pounds
unless otherwise certified through a design, construction,
inspection, flight test, and operational safety program administered
by a community-based organization;
(4) the aircraft is operated in a manner that does not
interfere with and gives way to any manned aircraft; and
(5) when flown within 5 miles of an airport, the operator
of the aircraft provides the airport operator and the airport
air traffic control tower (when an air traffic facility is located
at the airport) with prior notice of the operation (model aircraft
operators flying from a permanent location within 5 miles of
an airport should establish a mutually-agreed upon operating
procedure with the airport operator and the airport air traffic
control tower (when an air traffic facility is located at the
airport)).
(b) STATUTORY CONSTRUCTION.—Nothing in this section shall
be construed to limit the authority of the Administrator to pursue
enforcement action against persons operating model aircraft who
endanger the safety of the national airspace system.
(c) MODEL AIRCRAFT DEFINED.—In this section, the term ‘‘model
aircraft’’ means an unmanned aircraft that is—
(1) capable of sustained flight in the atmosphere;
(2) flown within visual line of sight of the person operating
the aircraft; and
(3) flown for hobby or recreational purposes.
Yellowirenut

PreviousNext

Return to FPV