Review: Turnigy 9X version 2 (FHSS).

Discussion on the reviews of 2.4GHz radios, modules and receivers that have appeared on RCModelReviews..com

Review: Turnigy 9X version 2 (FHSS).

Postby RCModelReviews » Wed Jun 23, 2010 1:02 am

Read The Turnigy 9X V2 Review first.

Now feel free to discuss the contents of that review, ask questions, share your own experiences with this product or whatever.
RCModelReviews.com, just the facts.
RCModelReviews

Re: Review: Turnigy 9X version 2 (FHSS).

Postby johnkim100530 » Wed Jun 23, 2010 6:58 am

No wonder V2 module is not sold separately. It is tied by a wire.

Why did they make it this way? Using antenna pin and routing RF signal through circuit board does not work for 2.4G wave length?

Lack of interchangeability of module limits its versatility. But who needs interchangeability at this price. Just buy it as another extra transmitter. I will end up posessing 3 transmitters; iMAX, Turnigy V1, Turnigy V2. After all, cheap is not cheap if you sum up money I spent for 3 transmitters. I could not resist buying additional transmitters because it is so cheap. They will replace my old transmitters which do not have electronic trims.
johnkim100530

Postby stk20 » Wed Jun 23, 2010 7:26 am

Should I hold off changing the old module to a Corona DIY kit?
stk20

Postby RCModelReviews » Wed Jun 23, 2010 8:13 am

johnkim100530 wrote:Why did they make it this way? Using antenna pin and routing RF signal through circuit board does not work for 2.4G wave length?

It is more difficult to create a reliable push-connect system for a 2.4GHz signal -- in fact such a connector would probably have cost more than the module itself.

However, if they'd used a UFL connection on the end of the antenna wire rather than simply soldering it to the circuit-board, other plug-in modules could have been used simply by drilling a matching hole in the back of them and connecting the internal antenna to the UFL that is almost always found on their circuit-boards.

As it is, an internal DIY kit may actually be an easier solution than a plug-in module if you want to change RF sections with the V2 radio.

Lack of interchangeability of module limits its versatility. But who needs interchangeability at this price. Just buy it as another extra transmitter. I will end up posessing 3 transmitters; iMAX, Turnigy V1, Turnigy V2. After all, cheap is not cheap if you sum up money I spent for 3 transmitters. I could not resist buying additional transmitters because it is so cheap. They will replace my old transmitters which do not have electronic trims.

Yes, they're cheap as beans but as I've found not (now that I have five transmitters), sometimes it's a bit of a pain having to lug several radios to the field if you're taking 3 or 4 planes to fly -- because you can't always guarantee that the planes you take are all on the same transmitter.
RCModelReviews

Postby RCModelReviews » Wed Jun 23, 2010 8:20 am

stk20 wrote:Should I hold off changing the old module to a Corona DIY kit?

You can wait until I've had a chance to do the flight-testing if you want to be sure the FHSS unit works okay in the air.

If it does work okay, I see little point in switching it to Corona as the Turnigy receivers are much cheaper and the FHSS should (in theory) be more resistant to interference than Corona's DSSS system.

Stay tuned for the flight testing!
RCModelReviews

Postby Sidewinder » Wed Jun 23, 2010 9:20 am

Very nice, thorough review, even minus the range/flight portion which was what I am really interested in. One item which "may be" incorrect in your review was the binding procedure. I didn't use your method listed so I can't say weather or not it will work. After reading many posts on several boards, this is what worked for me on a total of 5 of the $9.00 Turnigy receivers: Attach the "batt" and "bind" cables in reverse position, as listed on the receiver. Turn on the receiver and note the flashing red light through side panel of receiver. Take the transmitter at least 6 feet away from the receiver and while holding in the "bind" button (on back of case), turn power on. Red light on receiver should turn from flashing to solid red.
This procedure worked flawlessly on all five receivers.
The only other problem that I experienced (other than the poor connection of the batteries within the holder) was with 8 Nicd batteries (Sanyo 1.2V, 600 mAh) installed in the stock holder, there was no way that the battery cover would fit on the back of the trans. I simply replaced them with a 3 cell lipo 2500 mAh transmitter battery; fit perfectly in the case and even the Futaba-like plug mated perfectly with the jack inside (charged to storage value only- 3.8V/cell)
One other curious item was when testing servo channels, channels 5, 6, 7, and 8 would not function at all until I enabled them individually within the programming. Not a small feat considering that this is my first "fully" programmable unit and no manual was supplied.
Hope that this saves some folkes some time, effort and frustration.
Also hope that the weather "Down Under" permits flight/range checks soon.

Side
Sidewinder

Postby RCModelReviews » Wed Jun 23, 2010 9:34 am

Sidewinder wrote:One item which "may be" incorrect in your review was the binding procedure. I didn't use your method listed so I can't say weather or not it will work. After reading many posts on several boards, this is what worked for me on a total of 5 of the $9.00 Turnigy receivers: Attach the "batt" and "bind" cables in reverse position, as listed on the receiver. Turn on the receiver and note the flashing red light through side panel of receiver. Take the transmitter at least 6 feet away from the receiver and while holding in the "bind" button (on back of case), turn power on. Red light on receiver should turn from flashing to solid red.

I'm currently editing up a video-review of the 9XV2 which shows me binding the radio -- you'll see if my way is your way when I get that to the RCModelReviews YouTube channel.

The only other problem that I experienced (other than the poor connection of the batteries within the holder) was with 8 Nicd batteries (Sanyo 1.2V, 600 mAh) installed in the stock holder, there was no way that the battery cover would fit on the back of the trans. I simply replaced them with a 3 cell lipo 2500 mAh transmitter battery; fit perfectly in the case and even the Futaba-like plug mated perfectly with the jack inside (charged to storage value only- 3.8V/cell)

Yes, 8xAA cells in the provided holder is a bit difficult to fit into the battery area but if the cover won't fit, try turning the battery holder through one quarter turn and then it seems to fit okay (if somewhat snugly). I convert all my 9X's to two protected lithium Ion cells anyway.

One other curious item was when testing servo channels, channels 5, 6, 7, and 8 would not function at all until I enabled them individually within the programming. Not a small feat considering that this is my first "fully" programmable unit and no manual was supplied.

Yes, one of my priorities (given that this will doubtless continue to be a very popular radio) is to create a short-form manual and a series of "how to" videos showing the various programming options and flaws (if there are any left in the V2 software).

Also hope that the weather "Down Under" permits flight/range checks soon.Side

Doesn't look too bad for Sunday at this stage -- fingers crossed. The good old Flying Trainer will be used to put this stuff through its paces.
RCModelReviews

Postby jonlowe » Wed Jun 23, 2010 1:08 pm

Thanks for your review of the V2 version of the 9x. I'm very glad you confirmed that it is a FHSS system.

This is a slightly revised version of a review I made of the firmware changes between a V1 and V2 Turnigy 9x, originally posted on RCGroups. I own both versions, so I'm very familiar with the shortcomings of the original firmware.

Expo and Dual rate now work correctly. Before, in V1, it looked as thought they did in the DR/Expo menu, but if you added even 1% of expo, the dual rate went to 100% no matter what it was set at. This was verified at both the Display screen, and with servos. You could have expo, OR a dual rate, but not both.

Ailevator now works correctly, at least for dual elevators. Plug servo one into the elevator channel, and servo two into channel 8. Set both to 100% in the ailevator menu (Leave ailerons at 0% unless you also want the ailerons to act as elevators!).

You CAN now mix an Aux channel to a main channel, and it works, using the Aux channel as the master. I mixed each of the two aux's to rudder, and they both worked. Of course I had to assign the auxes to a knob or switch in the AUX-CH menu.

The following bug is NOT fixed:
Mixing a channel to itself still does not work. While you can, for example, set a throttle to throttle mix in one of the two curve programmable mixes, nothing happens either in the Display menu, or at the servo. A real shame since there isn't a throttle curve in the airplane mode.

Unconfirmed:
I have not played with the Butterfly mix, as I am not that familiar with how it is supposed to work.

The trick to show what firmware is loaded still shows V14 and COOL with a bunch of Chinese characters. (Same trick as the first step in the stick calibration sequence, below).

I did have a significant problem where I had aileron stick deadband in both directions from half stick movement on. It maxed out movement on the Display screen and at the servo at half stick movement. The sticks were not calibrated correctly from the factory. I fixed this using the instructions from a German forum, here:

http://www.rclineforum.de/forum/thread. ... r=&page=28

Here is my description of the procedure to calibrate your sticks (use their pictures):

First of all, ONLY do this if you are having problems with stick movements as I described in my posts above. If you screw up your tx, it's not my fault!!
Push the right lower trim tab to the left (aileron on a mode 2 TX), and the left side trim tab up (Throttle trim on a mode 2 tx), and while holding them, turn the Tx on. You will get a screen that shows the version number of the firmware, with four zeroes (0000) at the top of the screen. Center both sticks in their range in all axis, and press the menu button until it beeps and release. The screen number will change to 0001 Move the right stick to the upper right corner, and press menu, and you should get a beep, and the number on the screen will change to 0002. Put the right stick in the lower left corner, and press menu, and get a beep, and the number will change to 0003. Release the right stick, and put the left stick in the upper right corner, and press menu, get the beep, and the number will change to 0004. Put the left stick in the lower left corner, and press menu again, get the beep and the number will change to 0005. Center both sticks, and press menu, get the beep. You are done calibrating the sticks.

While at the same screen, press the + key, the screen will change, and you will get the position of the controls in hex code. You can see the numbers change as you move the sticks or knobs. Press - to go back to the firmware version screen. Exit the firmware screen, and go to the Display menu item. As long as you haven't turned the TX off, you will see the hex codes for stick positions for the 4 primary controls. Once you turn the tx off and back on, and go back to the Display menu item, the numbers will disappear.

BTW, I have a Turnigy V1, so I know well what it could and could not do (I now have Thus's firmware on it). HK has made a significant improvement in the V2 firmware. However, quality issues still exist, as I mentioned about the aileron stick. I REALLY wish I could mix a control to itself and have it work, so I could get a throttle curve. Now I need to fly the new V2 receiver/module combo.

Here are a couple of links for a .pdf version of the manual for other badged versions of the 9x:

http://www.skyrc.us/pdf/imax9x.pdf
http://www.r2hobbies.com/manuals/rcps61207.pdf

I, too, love the feel of this transmitter. The sticks are amazingly good for non-ball bearing units. And for $59 US, it is an incredibly great deal.

Jon
jonlowe

Postby jonlowe » Wed Jun 23, 2010 1:35 pm

RCModelReviews wrote:
However, if they'd used a UFL connection on the end of the antenna wire rather than simply soldering it to the circuit-board, other plug-in modules could have been used simply by drilling a matching hole in the back of them and connecting the internal antenna to the UFL that is almost always found on their circuit-boards.

How about a DIY article for putting a UFL connector on the pcb? Where can I source such a connector? I have the proper soldering skills, so that doesn't scare me.

I can't believe that cost of labor to solder that lead on an assembled transmitter is cheaper than the cost of the connector and having it automatically placed and soldered during manuacture of the PCB. That connection is not easy to get to, and the chances of a QC screwup have to be higher than simply pushing a connector on. Of course, since the whole unit sells for $59, there is not a large cost for either parts or labor in the manufacture of the system!

Jon
jonlowe

Postby Jayshergill » Wed Jun 23, 2010 3:19 pm

Great reviews guys lots of info on this I was going to buy this now I just have to wait until there is flight test with this equipment.
I guess for price it's not bad. I am on budget here. This will be my first programmable radio do you guys think this is good to start off with? It will be used in some foam planes and 40 or may be 60 nitro trainer ones which I haven't gotten yet?

Or should I go inevest into spectrum dx7 or something?
Jayshergill

Next

Return to 2.4GHz radios/modules/receivers