ASP/Sanye/Magnum 52 2-stroke glow engine

Discussion on reviews of Glow/nitro and gas engines

Re: ASP/Sanye/Magnum 52 2-stroke glow engine

Postby HFrank » Tue Feb 28, 2012 6:24 pm

RCModelReviews wrote:
HFrank wrote:Hello, I have a Magnum (ASP) .52 that I had in a profile 3D plane, but had no success with it, (always flamed out in the worst moment, I was using 15% nitro fuel, OS #6 glow plug and 12.25x3.75 APC prop). what was your experience with your engine/fuel/hot plug combo for 3D planes ?
Thanks.

If you want best throttle performance -- ditch the 12.25x3.75 prop -- it's *way* too heavy.

Try a 12x4 Xoar or JXF wood prop -- a stunning improvement in throttle response and overall performance.

Secondly, use an OS-F glowplug. It stops the engine loading up nearly as much.

However, I'd have to say that the ASP52 is not my first-choice (or second, or third) for 3D flying.

What glow plug is better for this engine, the OS F or #7 ?? I'm using 15% nitro fuel, should I switch to lower nitro ?

Thanks.
HFrank

Postby RCModelReviews » Tue Feb 28, 2012 9:08 pm

There are so many variables (fuel, temperature, air-pressure/altitude, prop, etc) that you really just have to try the different options to see which works for you.

Generally speaking, the ASP engines prefer 5%-10% nitro and using any more will just be spending money unnecessarily, for little gain.

I found that the OS type F plug really cleaned up the mid-range on my ASP52s -- and that's with 5% nitro.
RCModelReviews.com, just the facts.
RCModelReviews

Postby Gadgets » Tue Jun 04, 2013 12:58 pm

Coming in very late here.
I was reading about the carb issue. Sounds as though its a bit on the rich side from idle to mid throttle.
The old OS 46 H motors had a similar issue. There is a carb mod described to help with the issue.
Bassically you drill a hole in the carb body to increase air flow from idle to mid range. then when you open beyond that point, the carb rotates and closes the hole. Hence top end is not affected.

the link is:
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=96354
Gadgets

Previous

Return to IC engines