E-Flite T-34 Mentor ePTS RTF

If you didn't have to build it then you can talk about it here.

E-Flite T-34 Mentor ePTS RTF

Postby Hallmark » Mon Mar 05, 2012 11:07 pm

Hello all,

Well today I am going to collect my Mentor from Model Flight's warehouse and bring it home to assemble. I would like to know if anyone has this specific plane and has already assembled then successfully flown it? :?:

Here is the link... http://www.modelflight.com.au/products/ ... 99-11.html

As you can see this bad boy comes with a DX6i Tx/Rx set up and also comes with a battery, charger and everything pretty much installed, hence why I used the word assemble and not build ;)

I already have a DX5e that I got with my Phoenix Simulator and I bought an AR600 Rx to use with it when I fly my AXNs (I now have two because I love these little bundles of fun so much). So I am hoping I can use the AR600 with the DX6i, I'm pretty sure I can though...

As I am fairly new to the game I am asking for some basic advice that will help me get the plane built with all the issues that a beginner needs to know, but would not (merely by way of his own limited knowledge) be aware of. I don't want to complicate myself with intricate details about scale etc, but rather anything that will aid me in building and preparing this seemingly great plane for a maiden at the field with an Instructor and a buddy box. For example is foam safe CA different to medium CA glue? (Yes that's a question to answer here please.)

I have received so much good information from the posts on this site and despite some other forums being bigger (member wise) this one definitely has a great community of good souls who's contributions are regular, helpful and relevant. So thanks in advance for your information.

Bruce, if you're reading this how about a review of this plane (unless you already have and I've missed it)...?

I'll post a build log and photos later today if all goes well. Again any advice, hints, tips and/or watch out fors will be greatly appreciated...

Hallmark

HMk
"I am prepared to meet my Maker. Whether my Maker is prepared for the great ordeal of meeting me is another matter." Winston Churchill
Hallmark

Re: E-Flite T-34 Mentor ePTS RTF

Postby Hallmark » Wed Mar 07, 2012 7:05 am

As promised here is the progress of my build.

This RTF is amazing and I have to say that for once I was not disappointed when I opened the box and got all the bits and pieces out. The quality of this aircraft is mind blowing compared to what I am used to (Chinese made foamies).

So impressed was I that I sat and watched the 51 minute long build DVD that was not only instructional, informative and interesting, but had many details and aspects that beginners like me would not have considered in a blue fit. It also explains why I could not find any build videos on YouTube...

I had a couple of parts missing - like the battery charger - but that's no big deal because I doubt I would have used it any way given I already invested in a quality charger a couple of months ago. However, when I called the supplier they were all to eager to send me a new one by courier, but I opted for a flaps servo instead, which I assumed came with the plane, but does not.

That said I had a great time assembling this beauty and I even had assistance from my lovely wife who was equally impressed by the quality of this unit. Did I say this is a brilliant plane to assemble, look at and drool over? :D

So here are the pictures and I will hopefully maiden it at the field with an instructor this weekend. The other great thing about this for me is that I have a DX5e that came with my Phoenix Simulator and with the DX6i that came with this plane all I had to do was buy a trainer lead and I can take 100% of my own gear to the field and know it will all work! The only question I have about that is this; I fly Mode 2 and both Spektrum Txs are Mode 2, so if the Instructor flies Mode 1 can I still buddy box using his radio???

Here are the pics...

PS: I added a mod already. Looking at the front end I saw there was an area for a landing light. So I looked up the real plane and then went to my salvage box where I found a perfect sized LED. I carefully drilled the hole, used fibre tape in 2 places to mount it inside the cowling and angled it so it will shine ahead on a slight down angle while in flight. I have it on the Gear channel as there are no retracts for this (as yet)... I think it looks cool 8-)
Attachments
Landing Light Mod 001.jpg
Landing Light Mod
Landing Light Mod 001.jpg (204.65 KiB) Viewed 9112 times
T-34 Mentor Complete 003.jpg
T-34 Mentor Complete 003.jpg (247.51 KiB) Viewed 9112 times
T-34 Mentor Complete 001.jpg
T-34 Mentor Complete 001.jpg (232.55 KiB) Viewed 9112 times
"I am prepared to meet my Maker. Whether my Maker is prepared for the great ordeal of meeting me is another matter." Winston Churchill
Hallmark

Postby Hallmark » Wed Mar 07, 2012 7:21 am

Some more pictures and I'm adding a pilot too...
Attachments
T-34 Mentor Complete 004.jpg
T-34 Mentor Complete 004.jpg (228.74 KiB) Viewed 9111 times
Landing Light Mod 002.jpg
Landing Light Mod 002.jpg (242.37 KiB) Viewed 9111 times
T-34 Mentor Cockpit 001.jpg
Cockpit looks quite good too.
T-34 Mentor Cockpit 001.jpg (217.37 KiB) Viewed 9111 times
Hallmark

Postby Hallmark » Wed Mar 07, 2012 7:57 am

Aircrew installed!

Got this from my EPO Cessna that had the flap servos installed incorrectly and when I tried to come in to land I invented a new method of touchdown I call the sloop loop. Basically when the flaps work in the opposite direction to what they should and the plane smashes into 20 pieces you salvage all you can. :lol: The shame here is that the guys at Xtreme in QLD have seen the last dollar they will ever get from my wallet. When I complained that the servos caused the crash they said it was my fault for not pre-flight testing first. Fair cop I suppose, but I was learning and they knew that.

I ordered a Mode 2 Futaba 10CG, yet they sent me a Mode 1 unit with the Cessna. In my opinion it was their supplier's QA failure that caused the problem so one would think they would replace the darned thing given the $1,100 I spent that day and that plane cost them less than 10% of that amount!!! Live and learn I suppose, but as I said they have done themselves out of a lot of my money - I've spent twice that since then with Model Flight and I love their service, guarantees and 100% commitment to customer satisfaction and superior planes.

More pics soon...
Attachments
Pilot Mod 003.jpg
Pilot Mod 003.jpg (148.56 KiB) Viewed 9109 times
Pilot Mod 002.jpg
Pilot Mod 002.jpg (147.1 KiB) Viewed 9109 times
Pilot Mod 001.jpg
Pilot Mod 001.jpg (153.81 KiB) Viewed 9109 times
Hallmark

Postby Hallmark » Thu Mar 08, 2012 10:44 pm

For anyone following this blog I'll be adding the Flaps servo today and I'll video the process then post it to YouTube.

When my kit arrived it was missing the battery charger, but rather than have yet another 12v charger laying around the house I elected for servo instead. So the supplier sent out a JR ES519 by courier and at no cost to me. I love the guys at Model Flight they are truly great!
Hallmark

Postby Hallmark » Sat Mar 10, 2012 5:00 am

Hello again,

For those of you interested I went to the field today and we tried to trim in and settle the T-34, but ran into a few problems.

First of all the cockpit canopy flew off while taxiing and we had to tape it back on. Then once flying we had the same thing happen, however the plane was at 150 feet! So there were a few tense moments as my Instructor 'Steve' carefully crafted a landing out of what would have been a game of pick-up-sticks had I been at the controls! Kudos to you my mentor (meaning Steve lol)...

So we decided that I'd need to complete some mods before we endeavour to fly again and once done I'll add to this thread and include photos. Thanks for those of you who are interested enough to message me with ideas etc...
Hallmark

Return to ARF and RTF Models