Looks like some "borrowed" xjet footage

If you've seen a cool RC video on YouTube and you think it's worth sharing with the rest of us, post the link and a brief description here so we can all have a look.

Looks like some "borrowed" xjet footage

Postby Sav » Wed Mar 07, 2012 2:59 am

Just found this vid which seems to have some xjet footage

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ddx8VOwo ... re=related

Here's the authors quote :-

Well after 800,000 views my Crash 2010 video was pulled by Youtube, due to copy right!

Dam....well I guess someone didn't like the fact I used there video. :( I wonder how long this one will stay up! lol

Not sure if Bruce wants to chase youtube up about it, seems a bit rude for somebody to be getting credit for other peoples videos
Sav

Re: Looks like some "borrowed" xjet footage

Postby Aussie Joe » Wed Mar 07, 2012 8:01 am

Was there any music in the video ??? I know youtube is cracking down hard on copy righted music and removing them.
"Photonicinduction" One man and a plug socket = Mayhem. http://www.youtube.com/user/Photonvids?feature=watch
Aussie Joe

Postby RCModelReviews » Wed Mar 07, 2012 11:59 pm

Yep, since I now rely on my video content to earn a living it's a bit bloody rude when people use it without even the courtesy of asking (I seldom refuse).
RCModelReviews.com, just the facts.
RCModelReviews

Postby John_Edward » Thu Mar 08, 2012 3:28 pm

Well, like I told him, the biggest issue isn't asking or getting permission; making compilations, remixes and edits should be legal, allowed and desirable.

The problem is, that he didn't explicitly tell it wasn't all his content, and he didn't tell where he had taken the clips.
And that is really shitty thing to do.

Imho, you should always:
1) on every clip, add the name of the creator in the corner
2) to the end, add credits, naming each and every video you used
3) in the description, add links not only to the channels, but to every video you used.

If you do this, you should be allowed to pretty much do anything to the content, even if it is from someone who earns a living for it.

As long as the edit doesn't make your content look bad, i.e. imply false, unwanted things like racism or such, it would just be free advertising.
Just think about it, how many remixes of songs by people you hadn't heard of made you interested in the original artist ?
Humanity is conformity
Conformity is society
Society is this reality
John_Edward

Postby RCModelReviews » Thu Mar 08, 2012 7:53 pm

I suspect he knew he was doing something wrong because he cropped the video to remove the "XJet on YouTube" watermark.
RCModelReviews

Postby ergocentric » Thu Mar 08, 2012 9:41 pm

This video is private.
Sorry about that.

good work. I suspect Google is avoiding marking videos as pirate so they use the code word private
unconcerned but not indifferent - MAN RAY
ergocentric

Postby John_Edward » Fri Mar 09, 2012 12:11 am

ergocentric wrote:This video is private.
Sorry about that.
good work. I suspect Google is avoiding marking videos as pirate so they use the code word private

He set the video to private so Google can't pull it.
But, even though it is private, you can still take a look at the comments.
https://www.youtube.com/all_comments?v=Ddx8VOwokY8

"Second…you have personally taken video of my turbine aircraft, posted it on youtube, which your making money from, without asking my permission?"
...He does have a point here though.
Quite insignificant, but in this particular case, had he left the watermark, I personally think he would have had the permission to use the video.

I wonder how the legal sides are.
Are crash compilations legally allowed under fair use..?
Do you have to ask everyone, is crediting in the end enough, how long can the clips be etc
Humanity is conformity
Conformity is society
Society is this reality
John_Edward

Postby RCModelReviews » Fri Mar 09, 2012 1:07 am

John_Edward wrote:"Second…you have personally taken video of my turbine aircraft, posted it on youtube, which your making money from, without asking my permission?"

Uh... he chose to fly knowing that I was there (in a public place at a public event) so what's the problem?

Also, he's included some of my videos of *other people's* planes -- so his excuse is null and void in that regard.

Also, I wouldn't have minded one bit -- if he had asked and hadn't deliberately cropped out the watermark.

I wonder how the legal sides are.
Are crash compilations legally allowed under fair use..?
Do you have to ask everyone, is crediting in the end enough, how long can the clips be etc

Well from YT's perspective, I don't think they'd consider it "fair use". Just try using 5 seconds of BMG music and see what happens to your video :-)
RCModelReviews

Postby ergocentric » Fri Mar 09, 2012 2:22 am

RCModelReviews wrote:Just try using 5 seconds of BMG music and see what happens to your video :-)

I shot a video of my daughter
Santana was on the radio
you could clearly hear it was the car stereo, not dubbed
they pulled the video

send out the super tough guys?
unconcerned but not indifferent - MAN RAY
ergocentric

Postby RCModelReviews » Fri Mar 09, 2012 2:45 am

YT's content-ID system is totally hair-trigger.

Several of my RC jet videos have been flagged as "containing copyrighted 3rd party content" simply because (I assume) the roar of a jet sounds like the crowd at a live concert performance.

Even a couple of my "face to camera" RCModelReviews videos have been flagged as content-matched as a "Musical Componsition" and claimed by the "Music Publishing Rights Collecting Society" -- I don't know whether to feel pee'd off or flattered that anyone could mistake my monotone drone for "music".

I guess in the wake of the DotCom bust, YT is running *very* scared of the "big content" producers and worried that they'll also be greeted with black helicopters and armed police at dawn if they're not seen to be really cracking down on anything that might even be *slightly* copyrighted to someone else.
RCModelReviews

Next

Return to YouTube RC videos worth watching