Deans to XT 60 Connectors - What Wire to Use ?

Here's an area where you can ask any kind of question about RC models and find a whole lot of useful information to help you get started.

Deans to XT 60 Connectors - What Wire to Use ?

Postby GRM » Wed Mar 14, 2012 2:43 am

Hi,

My RCTimer wattmeter arrived last night and so I've discovered I'll need to make some Dean's to XT60 connectors - I've standardised on XT60, but the watt meter uses Deans.

My question is what type of wire should be used to solder the XT60 and the Deans to make a connector ?

Thanks again,

Geoff
GRM

Re: Deans to XT 60 Connectors - What Wire to Use ?

Postby cynr100 » Wed Mar 14, 2012 3:47 am

Have seen an example where the Deans and XT60 are soldered together without wire, will see if I can find the reference for you. Also, won't changing out the Deans be better for you if you are standardising to XT60.
Not enough time in the day for all my crazy ideas, I'm not slow, I'm just pacing myself
cynr100

Postby GRM » Wed Mar 14, 2012 5:00 am

cynr100 wrote:Have seen an example where the Deans and XT60 are soldered together without wire, will see if I can find the reference for you.

Thanks - that would be great.

cynr100 wrote:Also, won't changing out the Deans be better for you if you are standardising to XT60.

Unfortunately the watt meter has the Deans embetted in the device itself. See the 2:35 min mark of Bruce's video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HMPHUIqF_W8

Geoff
GRM

Postby cynr100 » Wed Mar 14, 2012 5:54 am

I Have seen it done but this is the best I can find at the moment, I have purchased from this ebayer a few times and have not had any problems, recommended.
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Male-XT60-Fe ... 0508783173
Last purchase was 5 sets XT60 8.99 including postage, he also supplied 1m heat shrink.
Not enough time in the day for all my crazy ideas, I'm not slow, I'm just pacing myself
cynr100

Postby pldb64 » Wed Mar 14, 2012 5:58 am

Here is Bruce's example fo Deans-XT60 converter - 11:07 into the clip

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZJHlJYDJohc

It's not exactly clear (with my eyes anyway) if he's used wire to connect the two connector types. However i would think the answer would be to err on the side of the largest gauge of wire that you use with your batteries. ie if you use 6S batteries regularly, then you'd want to make sure you use at least that gauge of wire. Obviously, if you're only going to use 3s batteries, you can use a smaller gauge.
Turnigy 9x, FrSky 2-Way/Telemetry DHT DIY, Smartieparts BRD, ER9x FW
AXN-Floater (stock esc, motor & prop, HK orange 9g servos)
pldb64

Postby RCModelReviews » Wed Mar 14, 2012 8:05 am

I just soldered the two connectors together with a generous amount of solder and then used some heatshrink over the whole shebang. Works a charm!
RCModelReviews.com, just the facts.
RCModelReviews

Postby cynr100 » Wed Mar 14, 2012 9:32 am

I knew I had seen it somewhere, the Bruce mod!!.
I'm drunk and shouldn't be here , anyway the guy deserves a donation, check it out http://www.rcmodelreviews.com/

Go on do it the guy deserves it :P :P :P
cynr100

Postby GRM » Fri Mar 16, 2012 3:32 am

Thanks All,

I hadn't considered soldering the Deans directly to the XT60 but now that I've seen it I'll try doing it using the "EZ Soldering Coupler for Dean's ultra" that I bought a while back.

Should be doable even with my (relatively poor) soldering skills.

Thanks again,

Geoff
GRM

Postby rogueqd » Thu Mar 22, 2012 9:17 pm

After ordering a few different wire and heatshrink sizes from Hobby King I found that 12AWG wire and 4mm heat shrink fit perfectly on to an XT60 connector. Get red and black of both.
rogueqd

Postby GRM » Sun Mar 25, 2012 7:14 am

RCModelReviews wrote:I just soldered the two connectors together with a generous amount of solder and then used some heatshrink over the whole shebang. Works a charm!

Trned out that I found this solution quite straightforward to execute. I'm now just worried to see if I can get heat shring large enough to go over the shebang.

Can you get 15mm or larger heatshrink ?

Thanks again all.

Geoff
GRM

Next

Return to For Beginners (if you're just getting started in RC)