New AXN Build with Trial Modifications

Here's an area where you can ask any kind of question about RC models and find a whole lot of useful information to help you get started.

New AXN Build with Trial Modifications

Postby Hallmark » Sat Mar 31, 2012 5:40 am

Hi again,

So having "retired" my first AXN at speed I finally opened the other one I recently ordered and began to decipher what might make my model stronger, more fun and provide some more challenges...

I came up with a few ideas that I will put here for you to comment on.

The first is I bought four digital sub-micro servos for it. Now some might say that was a waste of money etc, but as I said I want to experiment and these little buggers weigh only 6 grams and fit perfectly into the allotted spaces without any need to trim the foam at all. I have included pictures of the digital servos and the analogue equivalent. The digital's are $19.99 each and the analogue are $9.99 each, so they are way expensive compared to HK stuff, but I have a couple of E-flite planes and they perform with great reliability. I have also had great reviews from guys around the traps about them too.

Instead of putting the cheap ESC I bought back in it, I opted for a Dualsky 45A ESC ($30.00) as it is the preferred stock of my model store and they recommend this brand highly. (I will write a review in the where to buy from section soon because these guys are great and have a 100% satisfaction guarantee that I can vouch for personally). I went for 45A so that there was a reduced risk of the unit overheating and the one below this was 25A, so safe rather than sorry - again I am told these are great pieces of kit so why not?

I bought some foam safe spray paint so the AXN will be given a custom paint job and some stickers from the ESC manufacturer and the model shop I buy from should top off the aesthetics nicely. I also found a quaint set of landing gear that I just have to try out. My success in take off's is high, but landing with gear on the ground is a fat 0% to date, so I am hoping to use the ease of landing that the AXN provides to amend my statistics and improve my self-esteem with wheels down :D I know the gear is designed for a much lighter plane, but what the heck it's an AXN and they are made to be experimented with aren't they?

Mods:
I have used tongue depressors to reinforce the front end and as the battery seems to close off the airflow when pushed fully forward, I have made them so that the air is carried along from the intakes to the channel in the foam and then over the area holding the ESC. Please feel free to point out anything that you feel might make this unworkable etc.

The landing gear will be held in with the wire that was supplied and a tongue depressor sliver between the wire and the foam inside the fuse (pics to come). I have made wooden (from tongue depressors :P ) supports for the servos so I can screw them in in the hope that if I crash nose first again the servo will break loose rather than strip the gears. So I won't be using glue on the elevator/rudder servos - comments are most welcome.

Because of the picture limit I shall upload three photos now and some more as the plane takes shape later on today and into tomorrow. Please feel free to comment on any ideas or improvements you see in the process and feel free to offer anything that you consider will aid or assist in making a better AXN... Oh except for the cost of the servos and ESC lest she who must be obeyed sees the same and gets mad at me :roll:

Hallmark
Attachments
AXN Inside Front 02.jpg
Right side channel/reinforcement.
AXN Inside Front 02.jpg (61.85 KiB) Viewed 16599 times
AXN Inside Front 01.jpg
Air channel and reinforcement
AXN Inside Front 01.jpg (63.24 KiB) Viewed 16599 times
E-Flite Servos.jpg
Here are the servos - I am using the digital ones.
E-Flite Servos.jpg (230.29 KiB) Viewed 16599 times
"I am prepared to meet my Maker. Whether my Maker is prepared for the great ordeal of meeting me is another matter." Winston Churchill
Hallmark

Re: New AXN Build with Trial Modifications

Postby Hallmark » Sat Mar 31, 2012 6:07 am

Landing gear...

I roughed up the bottom of the wood and scored the foam a little so the bond is firm and I will put a good amount of glue with a plastic strap over the wire to hold it once I am done painting the frame...
Attachments
Gear 02.jpg
Main gear.
Gear 02.jpg (49.9 KiB) Viewed 16597 times
Gear 04.jpg
Tail wheel.
Gear 04.jpg (33.71 KiB) Viewed 16597 times
Gear 01.jpg
Reinforced from inside with foam safe glue...
Gear 01.jpg (145.09 KiB) Viewed 16597 times
"I am prepared to meet my Maker. Whether my Maker is prepared for the great ordeal of meeting me is another matter." Winston Churchill
Hallmark

Postby hakank » Sat Mar 31, 2012 7:09 am

If you are into quality mods I can recommend replacing the stock motor with a Scorpion S-2215-1810KV. It can be run with 3 cells for endurance or 4 cells for performance. I usually do the latter ;) It will not fit directly to the stock mounting but I did a trick bolting it with two screws in the bottom and a combined hot glue/tooth pick thingy for the top mounting. Has not come loose yet despite my best efforts.

/Håkan
hakank

Postby hakank » Sat Mar 31, 2012 7:10 am

Btw, I also use digital sub micro servos in mine which I'm very happy with.
hakank

Postby aidan284 » Sat Mar 31, 2012 7:14 am

Your reinforcing of the front nose with the popsicle sticks is a good idea. i have done that with mine and it works well
If you don't know it, Look it up
aidan284

Postby Hallmark » Sat Mar 31, 2012 8:20 am

Thanks for the motor tip Aiden. Glad to see I'm not alone with the digital servo thing. I was just impressed that they fit so perfectly into the slots.

Now I am just a bit worried about powering these servos with the ESC below because it says not to use more than 2 digital servos. Do you think this matters with the size of these servos being so small or is it all the same and I should use an additional battery pack (I have one).

When it comes to flight I am still very much a beginner and just getting used to flying more level and smooth turns while filming. I am hoping to be confident enough to try some basic rolls and loops, but I need more practice with heights (hence the change of colour plan).

PS: I run 3S 2200
Attachments
ESC 02.jpg
The Dualsky 45A ESC (comes with stickers lol)
ESC 02.jpg (74.91 KiB) Viewed 16585 times
Hallmark

Postby cynr100 » Sat Mar 31, 2012 9:28 am

Have thought about reviving mine using the popsticks method or similar but will extend the length to the wing root, most of my damage has been done midcockpit. Am presently trying to devise a servo cradle that will provide reinforcing as well that will slip into the servo/ESC bay. If I am successfull will post, you have given me many foods for thought.
When I was having trouble trying to sort my 450 Helo tail out (now dead due to a hanger crash, with 000 and blood/gore :oops: ) I looked at digital servos, most available were 5v and were (apparently ) strictly limited to that, I notice your BEC is 5.5v. Please check if that is an issue would hate to see it all go to s**t for 0.5v . 8-)
Not enough time in the day for all my crazy ideas, I'm not slow, I'm just pacing myself
cynr100

Postby Hallmark » Sat Mar 31, 2012 9:55 am

cynr100 wrote:I looked at digital servos, most available were 5v and were (apparently ) strictly limited to that, I notice your BEC is 5.5v. Please check if that is an issue would hate to see it all go to s**t for 0.5v . 8-)

Sorry I am electronics retarded. The servos are 4.8 - 5.5 volt operating range and yes the ESC is 5.5 volt. What does all that mean? I'll bet Bruce has a video somewhere and I shall look for it, but in the meantime any help would be great...

I have a 4 cell AAA battery pack 4.8 volt 800mAh that the shop said would run the servos and receiver all day if needed. If you think I should use it where would you suggest I put it? (And only polite suggestions please :o )

HMk
Hallmark

Postby cynr100 » Sat Mar 31, 2012 10:10 am

Mate, as long as your servos can handle the BEC voltage, in this case it looks okay I would stick to a 2200maH for motor and servos. Don't weigh your AXN down with a separate battery pack. Sooooooo....................... rather than sticking the 4.8v somewere just put it down :lol:
Not enough time in the day for all my crazy ideas, I'm not slow, I'm just pacing myself
cynr100

Postby hakank » Sat Mar 31, 2012 10:23 am

Hallmark wrote:
Now I am just a bit worried about powering these servos with the ESC below because it says not to use more than 2 digital servos. Do you think this matters with the size of these servos being so small or is it all the same and I should use an additional battery pack (I have one).

I believe the rating of 2 digital servos is full size servos which might under certain circumstances draw over the 3A limit . For the sub micros it should not be a problem. I'm using the built in 3A bec for my digital servos without any issues at all.

/Håkan
hakank

Next

Return to For Beginners (if you're just getting started in RC)