Balsa Glue??

If you've been building electronic bits or modifying stuff you've bought then tell us all about it here. A good place to discuss the installation of 2.4GHz DIY modules too.

Balsa Glue??

Postby aidan284 » Sun Apr 01, 2012 12:01 am

Hi, im making a small plane and using 2 layers of balsa in opposite directions. the question im asking is what type glue should i use??? PVA??Epoxy??
i don't know so suggestions welcome
If you don't know it, Look it up
aidan284

Re: Balsa Glue??

Postby dannyzz » Sun Apr 01, 2012 4:35 am

Humbrol Balsa Cement works good i used that on my boat it is pretty strong and dries fast.
dannyzz

Postby RCModelReviews » Sun Apr 01, 2012 6:13 am

PVA or aliphatic glue will give a strong bond and plenty of working time.

Balsa cement is not really a good glue for this application (or any application actually) -- it's too brittle and can warp the wood because it shrinks quite a bit when it dries.
RCModelReviews.com, just the facts.
RCModelReviews

Postby Keith » Sun Apr 01, 2012 2:11 pm

I use PVA wherever I can. Nearly finished a quadcopter made of balsa for some thing different. Don't how it will hold up. Had good success with 5mm sheet balsa sandwiched between 2mm ply to make the centres.... You can also get a quick drying PVA as well which works good...
If anyone is feeling a bit paranoid....BEHIND YOU....
Keith

Postby aidan284 » Sun Apr 01, 2012 6:47 pm

I just used PVA and it has worked well.
aidan284

Postby tgdavies » Wed Apr 04, 2012 4:42 am

+1 point for giving feedback on what worked :-)
tgdavies

Postby AltechMYOB » Wed Apr 04, 2012 12:40 pm

hmmm...

Wots aliphatic glue?

(well somebody had to ask... OR perhaps I'm the only one that doesn't know!)

According to http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wood_glue:

"Hobbyists commonly use polyvinyl acetate (PVA), also known as "white glue" or "hobby and craft", and aliphatic resin emulsion, commonly referred to as "carpenter's glue" or "Yellow glue", which has similar relative ultimate strength. The two have different grip characteristics before initial set, with PVAs exhibiting more slip during assembly and yellow glue having more initial grip. PVAs are non-toxic and very easy to use, but hard to repair since nothing else sticks well to the hardened glue.[7] PVAs will creep under constant load."

So there.
Last edited by AltechMYOB on Thu Apr 05, 2012 11:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
AltechMYOB

Postby RCModelReviews » Wed Apr 04, 2012 9:30 pm

The biggest advantage of aliphatic glues in model-building is that they can be sanded. PVA tends to resist sanding so if you try to sand a join made with PVA you will end up with a ridge of glue sitting proud of the wood. Aliphatic sands along with the wood so will give a smooth surface.
RCModelReviews.com, just the facts.
RCModelReviews

Postby aidan284 » Wed Apr 04, 2012 10:00 pm

i made sure i did my sanding first and made sure i glued it perfectly and wiped all of the excess glue off
aidan284

Postby AltechMYOB » Thu Apr 05, 2012 11:35 am

RCModelReviews wrote:The biggest advantage of aliphatic glues in model-building is that they can be sanded. PVA tends...

Thanks B... squirreled away in my database of 'good to know' and apply stuff for model-making and repairing.

Whilst poking around the Net I found a curious (and probably useful) reference to these 2 glues. It's an interesting trick to do with microwave ovens!

As this is on RCGroups it's copyrighted so you'll have to go there to read it.

I suggest the stated warnings are well worth keeping in mind should you take up this practice. Especially the necessity to put a cup of water in the oven to soak up some of the excessive RF energy... the amount of moisture in the glue is vestigial compared to cooking a piece of food.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=396713
AltechMYOB

Return to DIY Projects and Hacks