Any chance of a schematic for this?

If you've been building electronic bits or modifying stuff you've bought then tell us all about it here. A good place to discuss the installation of 2.4GHz DIY modules too.

Any chance of a schematic for this?

Postby AltechMYOB » Mon Apr 02, 2012 9:02 am

Hi all...

I have a few of these FM remote control Tx's & Rx's. All are faulty in some way. eg. the one pictured has no throttle control... at least 1 of the others has the same fault. All have the same telescopic antenna fitted to the top of the case... the one pictured is absent.

These were widely used with RC models. All the ones I have came with the AH-64 "Feralbeast" RC model helicopters that Jaycar (amongst others, 2 of mine from other dist.) sold not that long ago. My guess is these were some of the last FM RC's sold just before the 2.4GHz gear became cheap/widely available (thank you China :D ).

As I have a number of them I want to have a go at getting some of them working, at least 1 rc & tx pair so that I can improve my fledgling heli control skills... yes I know, they're only coaxial heli's!

If anybody has any sort of schematic for these and can share it'd be great. Even if you've repaired these and have some tips and/or knowledge of common faults with this kit that would be great as well.

Thanks for reading at least... cheers.
Attachments
FM RC 40MHz back.JPG
FM RC 40MHz back.JPG (57.73 KiB) Viewed 22310 times
FM RC 40MHz front.JPG
FM RC 40MHz front.JPG (61.95 KiB) Viewed 22310 times
AltechMYOB

Re: Any chance of a schematic for this?

Postby Keith » Mon Apr 02, 2012 9:52 am

I would imagine your best bet would be to convert them to 2.4 with the DIY module... Worked with my old Hitec Flash 5....
If anyone is feeling a bit paranoid....BEHIND YOU....
Keith

Postby AltechMYOB » Mon Apr 02, 2012 1:26 pm

Keith wrote:I would imagine your best bet would be to convert them to 2.4 with the DIY module... Worked with my old Hitec Flash 5....

Hi Keith... yes, the FrSky conversion was my end plan for some of them if the internals were up to the requirements for space, and if the mechanics of the sticks were quality. I don't remember what the quality was like when I last had one in bits... disgusted with the failure rate of them I'd put 'em in a box on a high shelf. This was before I learned of the DIY FrSky kits. I'd not had enough 'stick-time' (or experience) to know if the relevant mechanical parts and sundry electromechanical were worth transmogrification (how's that for a word ;) . Now that I do know, I'd still like a schematic so that I can intelligently disconnect parts of the transmitter to save battery and also to shutdown the RF section so as to rule out any problems associated with induced EMF.

I'd still like to get 2 x tx & rx (FM 40MHz) working, or at the very least 1 as a backup plan for experimenting with FPV... specifically when working with multiple simultaneous links to the one model in order to rule out causes of interference etc. I'm also most curious as to what sort of range can be had with this technology.

And also, as I have several of the "Feralbeast's" complete with rx's and interfaces to servos, I'd really like to get one working without me having to give it a heart transplant... there isn't much space on the model, with the rx. taking up all available space in the cockpit, as can be seen in the pic below.

Thanks for your reply Keith...
regards Allan.
Attachments
FM RC 40MHz cockpit.JPG
FM RC 40MHz cockpit.JPG (106.8 KiB) Viewed 22291 times
Last edited by AltechMYOB on Mon Apr 02, 2012 1:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
AltechMYOB

Postby BillGriffiths100 » Mon Apr 02, 2012 1:37 pm

The most likely cause of failure in the TX's will be the potentiometers or the wiring connectors to the boards.
If the TX's have partial function i.e. the other channels work this is the cause and will involve the pulse modulation circuitry.
Therefore converting to 2.4 will still yield a system with a defective throttle channel.
If you can't find a fault with the potentiometer connections or wiring and fix it then you will be better off binning the TX's.
Compromising with out of control government is like living with a lion, sooner or later the bloody thing will eat you .

You accept the tyranny of the state when it's not being applied to you, when it is: it's too late.
BillGriffiths100

Postby AltechMYOB » Mon Apr 02, 2012 1:42 pm

Thanks Bill... love your avatar, is it a good likeness?
AltechMYOB

Postby BillGriffiths100 » Tue Apr 03, 2012 9:32 am

Luckily No, it just expresses my avuncular personality...
Although I have just discovered I am descended from one of the pre-Raphaelites!
Compromising with out of control government is like living with a lion, sooner or later the bloody thing will eat you .

You accept the tyranny of the state when it's not being applied to you, when it is: it's too late.
BillGriffiths100

Postby AltechMYOB » Tue Apr 03, 2012 11:49 am

BillGriffiths100 wrote:Luckily No, it just expresses my avuncular personality...
Although I have just discovered I am descended from one of the pre-Raphaelites!

STREWTH! Me under-carn-stumble... where's me dictionary?

Me Aunt used to paint me a picture with these-here big word thingies, but she's passed... :(
AltechMYOB

Postby BillGriffiths100 » Tue Apr 03, 2012 1:59 pm

-carn-stumble?
How dare you sir!
Nempe vos a Eubonia
magna verba confundentes

BillGriffiths100

Postby cynr100 » Tue Apr 03, 2012 8:33 pm

BillGriffiths100 wrote:-carn-stumble?
How dare you sir!
Nempe vos a Eubonia
magna verba confundentes

FIGHTS ON !!!!!!!!!!!!!!! my monies on Bill, Thesaurus' at 40 paces :lol:
Not enough time in the day for all my crazy ideas, I'm not slow, I'm just pacing myself
cynr100

Postby AltechMYOB » Wed Apr 04, 2012 12:05 pm

BillGriffiths100 wrote:Nempe vos a Eubonia
magna verba confundentes

DOUBLE STREWTH!
He's upped the ante.
(note: nothing to do with my Aunty... {I know wot ya wer tinkin})

1. No man is an island!
2. When I get my hands on the doctor whom told you of my hippopotomonstrosesquippedaliophobia
(now look what you made me write :x AHHaaaaaa ), I'm gunna tear him a new one!! :twisted:
3. Cussing in a dead language on this board is strictly verboten. (come on mod... tell em)

cynr100 wrote:
FIGHTS ON !!!!!!!!!!!!!!! my monies on Bill, Thesaurus' at 40 paces :lol:

Monsieur Roget has left town and NOT left me any forwarding address... (dam you Peter!)

PS. Auntie's rolling in her grave :(
AltechMYOB

Next

Return to DIY Projects and Hacks